[UK]Issues with BH easy motion 29ER neo, need help/advice!

Ozzysnake

Just Joined
Sep 5, 2021
Ive been using the 29er for about 7 years and it has been working very well until last year around April when it just refused to turn on and hasnt worked since. I am fairly certain the control screen isnt the issue as i have a replacement and neither work, the battery is outputting the right voltage and all the connections i can test are stable but unfortunately with my equipment/knowledge this is as much as i can find out.
Ive tried taking it so a few ebike shops (although they are very few and far between where i live in Hampshire) but they often are hesitant or just refuse to work on a product i didnt buy from them.
I suppose my best bet right now would be an independent ebike enthusiast that would be able to test out the bike's components and narrow down the suspect list. From what ive been able to work out i believe the motor to be the issue but thats just a guess, all i can see are some frayed wires. if anyone knows any individual or company that could help please leave a reply. thanks.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Do these test in sequence. Don't skip. The one that fails will indicate the source of your problem.

1. Measure the voltage at controller's battery connector. Obviously should be battery voltage. 36v - 42v for a 36v battery would be an acceptable range.
2. Measure the voltage on the 5v rail. You can measure that between any ground (black) and any of the reds going to throttle, PAS or motor halls. It should be around 5v.
3. Check throttle signal wire, which is the one that's not red or black. Should give about 1v to 4v when you twist the throttle. If there's more than one wire, your meter will find it. It's the one that's between 1v and 4v, assuming that it works.
4. Check that the PAS is pulsing. Measure the PAS signal wire while turning the pedals slowly. Should pulse 5v on and off every time a magnet passes the sensor. the signal wire is the one that's not red or black.
5. Check the motor hall signal wires (blue green and yellow) on the connector at the controller. They should each pulse with 5v going on and off as you rotate the wheel BACKWARDS.

6. Mosfet test. Disconnect the motor cable and battery from the controller. measure the resistance (200k scale) between the red battery connection and each of the three phase wire connections, then repeat with the black battert wire. eack set of 3 readings should be the same as each other and in the range 7K -22K. Though can be higher as long as they're all the same. Due to the capacitor across the battery wire, you can get a constantantly changing measurement while it charges. In that case, try swapping your probes round. Even though can be a moving result, the only important thing is that all three move in a similar way.

If your bike passes all those tests, it should work, so then you can look at any settings or other logical causes, like stuck brake switches, PAS installed backwards.

When checking whether the motor will work, always disconnect all unessential connectors, like PAS (if you have a throttle). lights and brakes.