UK Law in regards to ebikes.

tonywestonuk

Just Joined
Nov 10, 2019
After spending a few days researching if I should buy a rad rhino, if it is legal to be ridden on the roads in the UK, I have come to the conclusion it is, based on current issued government guidelines. This is how I see the law (attached flowchart).

Note, that if the Rad Rhino had not already gained l1e-a approval, it would not be legal. The fact rad cycles have gone to the trouble of getting this type approved, means it is legal and approved for public UK roads without registration.

Agree / disagree?

Attachments

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
After spending a few days researching if I should buy a rad rhino, if it is legal to be ridden on the roads in the UK, I have come to the conclusion it is, based on current issued government guidelines. This is how I see the law (attached flowchart).

Note, that if the Rad Rhino had not already gained l1e-a approval, it would not be legal. The fact rad cycles have gone to the trouble of getting this type approved, means it is legal and approved for public UK roads without registration.

Agree / disagree?
I found this from 2015, which appears to suggest, (from my point of view after reading it for the first and only time), that the L1e-a approval, not only means number plates, but no "off road" riding.
My apologies if I have misunderstood the regulations completely....
I am following this with great interest, thanks for posing the question, it will be interesting to see "where it goes!"
I am quite sure that many others here will also be very interested!
Regards
Andy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
but no "off road" riding.
I think it probably allows for off-road riding in limited cases. (a) On private land which does not have public access (eg not rights of way) with permission of landowner. (b) On BOATS (Byways open to all Traffic), which allow access to pretty much the same vehicles as public roads, including 4x4s etc.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Agree / disagree?
If the Rad Rhino is 250 watts and 15.5 mph restricted and didn't permit power without pedalling, it wouldn't need L1e-A.

The fact that they've sought that approval indicates to me that it has a throttle, permitting power without pedalling. With L1e-A approval that would make it allowed to operate as a bureaucracy free pedelec in Great Britain only within Europe, a concession uniquely allowed by our DfT. L1e-A alone doesn't entitle since that also permits up to 1000 watts, the pedelec 250 watt limit has to be observed.

The UK law in this area is extremely complex and has to be thoroughly known.

P.S. I've just looked up the Rad Rhino standard specification and it's shown as having a 750 watt motor. If yours is like that it has to be registered, number plated and treated as an L1 moped in all respects. If restricted to 15.5 mph, as an L1e-A moped; if faster as an L1e-B moped.

Last edited:

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

"Feb 9, 2018
I have just bought a Rhino....have managed to register it with the DVLA under L1eA classification.
They call it a motorcycle under body type and electric motorcycle under taxation class.
What I am having trouble with is getting insurance....can't seem to get any insurance companies interested....brokers are telling me they don't have underwriters prepared to take on this class of vehicle. Any British owners having similar problems.....or have managed to insure?"

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

"Feb 9, 2018
I have just bought a Rhino....have managed to register it with the DVLA under L1eA classification.
They call it a motorcycle under body type and electric motorcycle under taxation class.
What I am having trouble with is getting insurance....can't seem to get any insurance companies interested....brokers are telling me they don't have underwriters prepared to take on this class of vehicle. Any British owners having similar problems.....or have managed to insure?"
Are you just quoting from the link or have you actually bought a Rad Rhino Wicky?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

"Feb 9, 2018
There are insurance companies that will insure them, but be prepared for a shock when you get the quote.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I think it probably allows for off-road riding in limited cases. (a) On private land which does not have public access (eg not rights of way) with permission of landowner. (b) On BOATS (Byways open to all Traffic), which allow access to pretty much the same vehicles as public roads, including 4x4s etc.
Personally, I would take it that where cars and normal motorcycles are not allowed, such an e-bike would also be prevented in going.
It seemed pretty clear to me, that is what was intended, possibly to stop people with a land rover, certain types of motorbike, illegally going off road.
Maybe the law has been further changed since that Topic was started.
But if true, that is basically anything with a number plate, insurance and road tax requirements.....
But it will probably need a government department to give the final go or no go....like the police maybe?
They are supposed to know such things surely?
regards
Andy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Personally, I would take it that where cars and normal motorcycles are not allowed, such an e-bike would also be prevented in going.
Andy
I agree: the rules are the same for such e-bikes as for cars or motorbikes. Cars and motorcycles are also allowed in the two cases I mentioned.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I agree: the rules are the same for such e-bikes as for cars or motorbikes. Cars and motorcycles are also allowed in the two cases I mentioned.
I am sure you are correct, but for me that would be a disaster, as I ride where normal bikes are allowed, AS WELL AS, public roads (not forgetting private land of course).....All possibilities are available for me.
How many people have enough private land to make that worthwhile with a registered faster e-bike, Prince Charles maybe? Then the road tax and insurance are moot!
But I was not disputing your post in an way, I was just making the case that for normal biker people that would be totally unacceptable.
What many people also apparently forget, is "Why 15MPH" for e-bikes, EU wide?
It is quite simple, they are often (legally) on pathways with pedestrians, and the electric 15MPH limit, makes it less dangerous for all concerned.
Though insurance is always a good idea....
regards
Andy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I was just making the case that for normal biker people that would be totally unacceptable.
Absolutely, as it would be for me.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
"Feb 9, 2018
I have just bought a Rhino....
Hi.

Do you have to wear a motorbike helmet? How did you get on with insurance? Lexham might be able to offer you something.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I am sure you are correct, but for me that would be a disaster, as I ride where normal bike
How many people have enough private land to make that worthwhile with a registered faster e-bike, Prince Charles maybe? Then the road tax and insurance are moot!
But I was not disputing your post in an way, I was just making the case that for normal biker people that would be totally unacceptable.
What many people also apparently forget, is "Why 15MPH" for e-bikes, EU wide?
It is quite simple, they are often (legally) on pathways with pedestrians, and the electric 15MPH limit, makes it less dangerous for all concerned.
Though insurance is always a good idea....
regards
Andy
[/QUOTE]
lots of people purchase off road motorbikes for use on private land, green lanes, BOATS and Rupps. I don’t see why someone wouldn’t want to put one of these bikes to the same use.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Riding green lanes and byways (on a motorcycle) is NOT riding off-road

Trail riding in the UK is riding green lanes and byways open to all traffic – as such, you need to be on a road-legal, registered, insured, taxed vehicle with a valid MoT, and you need to abide by the law.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
That is a good little article Wicky. I have been using a worn out 1979 Honda 250 for quite a while now.

It was propped outside a lawn mower shop and I bought it as a non runner (I have yet to find a Honda that was truly a non runner) to accompany a friend who wanted to do the Beamish Trophy Trail, a vintage event in Durham on his Triumph and to enter you needed a pre 1980 machine.

We had a great time and have done all sorts green lane riding since all over the country including the Peak district, Lake district, Wales, Wye Valley and abroad in France and Spain so I am definitely getting good value for the £400 odd quid it cost.

I think next year it is old enough to qualify for free tax and no MOT that was some quirk of an EEC traffic law change, so they are not all bad, although helping me riding off road on my ancient Honda was probably not in the fore front of the bureaucrats brain, bless him!

I have another old bike that qualifies and it seemed quite strange ticking the MOT and Tax box online to get a years MOT and Tax and it costing diddly squat.

Come the great day perhaps we can spar that particular bureaucrat though I am sure he will be guilty of much else.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Riding green lanes and byways (on a motorcycle) is NOT riding off-road

Trail riding in the UK is riding green lanes and byways open to all traffic – as such, you need to be on a road-legal, registered, insured, taxed vehicle with a valid MoT, and you need to abide by the law.

Hello Wicky, I assume that you were replying to me.
Andy-Mat seemed to think that there was no use for an S-pedalec unless it was on private land, of which there was very little. I was pointing out that there were other options away from traffic which may attract an unregulated but registered cycle.
Re your above point, I wouldn't call green lanes and byways roads. That's why they are called green lanes and byways. Some of them that I have been on with both trail bikes and cycles couldn't even be called tracks and were definitely OFF everything. But I do agree that you still need to abide by the appropriate laws.

Reactions: Andy-Mat