UK petition to raise cut-off limit

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
as when motor cuts out the bike becomes sluggish and harder to cycle on till you reach 18mph
Dreadfully worded, I take it the bikes flys once you reach 18 mph :confused:

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Very premature too. We are not in a position to legally make this change until we have actually left the EU. Even after we left it would mean changes to multiple laws, getting parliament to approve all those against DfT advice.

Citing the USA is also a mistake since it draws attention to the fact they are the odd one out, most of the rest of the world having the EU style law that we have. Politicians and civil servants like to play safe by going with the majority in things they know little or nothing about. And in any case the USA does not have one law. They have federal law as a basis that states can use, but states are free to set their own law overriding that, and most do.

In summary there isn't a cat-in-hells chance of this change being made, for these other reasons too:

The powered bicycle class L1e-A which is also limited to 15.5 mph is a motor vehicle class having registration, insurance, number plate etc. And if without pedals a group Q driving licence is necessary.

There are also S class high speed pedelecs which can have 20 to 28 mph assists, but they have to be registered as L1e-B motor vehicles, number plated and insured. A moped driving licence is also necessary.

Clearly our pedelecs will not be allowed bureaucracy-free 20 mph assist when these other two have to be classed as motor vehicles with all that implies.

Last edited:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Up a slope and into wind should have been mentioned . Reminds me of the time I was riding my Ariel Leader into a strong westerly wind and I couldn`t get it past 55 mph . Normally would exceed 70 mph . Ebikes exhibit similar traits , as do all cycles . I feel the same with my 37 year old Suzuki 50 `Roadie`as it`s limited to 30 mph . If the Person that decides on these Rules were the ones doing the riding , perhaps they would change their tune a bit !

D

Deleted member 25121

Very badly worded and pretty pointless right now.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I've got to agree
It seems a child wrote out that petition
And to repeat what's already been said there's no way at all that the limit is going to change any time soon
They should be grateful it was upped from I think 12mph or so to get in line with Europe

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If the Person that decides on these Rules were the ones doing the riding , perhaps they would change their tune a bit !
They don't because there is no need to. Those who want more power for climbing or fighting headwinds can move to the L1e-A class. That's pedelecs also limited to 15.5 mph but allowed up to 1000 watts rating, plenty to tackle anything.

But they have to be registered and insured, though no driving licence necessary.

Those who want more moped like speeds can go to S pedelecs which can have 500 watts rating, but again they have to be registered and insured. And being as fast as mopeds a driving licence is necessary.

So the rule makers have taken care of everyone and no change is necessary, except for the public to learn what I've just typed.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I know I may be in a minority on here but I think the 15.5 limit is OK. On flat roads I generally ride at about 17-18 mph but I don't think greater assistance is needed.

Probably just me.

In any case the petition is written by someone who needs to go back to school - it is a formal thing so needs to be written properly. It sounds stupid so gives a very bad impressions of the whole concept. I wouldn't sign it even if I agreed with it.

Just re-read it what does "When motor cuts out the bike becomes sluggish and harder to cycle on till you reach 18mph + where you gain control of bike." even mean??? On mine and my wife's I just keep pedalling and it goes faster

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I know I may be in a minority on here but I think the 15.5 limit is OK. On flat roads I generally ride at about 17-18 mph but I don't think greater assistance is needed.
You are far from a minority in here Michael, that impression mainly comes from those wanting more speed/power being so vociferous.

Those like ourselves who are satisfied with what we have don't have any need to raise the subject.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Emotionally I would love a faster ebike. Having said that I think 25kph is actually a very good limit for assistance. Most importantly anything faster would almost certainly be banned from bridleways, forestry land , etc. This limit protects both cyclists and other trail users. Yes we can all go faster downhill but at least bikes currently go at a reasonable speed uphill. Also, I don't see how anything faster could be considered to be a bicycle, it can only be considered to be a moped. Allowing restricted evokes to be classed as bicycles rather than mopeds is actually a concession .

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
"Speed limiter on UK ebikes is set at 15.6mph which is slow when used on roads putting it up to 20mph would help keep up with flow and enable cyclists to get out of trouble easier.as when motor cuts out the bike becomes sluggish and harder to cycle on till you reach 18mph. Speed in USA is 20mph."

Just seen this, laughable, who wrote that? A 10 year old?

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99 and Artstu

jeff St.Clair

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2018
Crete
What are they talking about ?...when you reach the 15.5 whatever speed you drop down a gog and wizz along with little or no effort ....No way is anyone gonna sign such a badly worded petition ...

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
What are they talking about ?...when you reach the 15.5 whatever speed you drop down a gog and wizz along with little or no effort ....No way is anyone gonna sign such a badly worded petition ...
Well I just checked and 412 people have signed it - some people will sign anything!

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
You are far from a minority in here Michael, that impression mainly comes from those wanting more speed/power being so vociferous.

Those like ourselves who are satisfied with what we have don't have any need to raise the subject.
You might not have any need to raise the subject but you are certainly not any less vociferous on the subject.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Yes - my concern would be that raising the speed cut off limit would come with restrictions to the use of ebikes - such as no longer being classified the same as 'normal' bikes - hence not using shared cycle paths etc etc.
At the end of the day no-one can tell if my bike has a cut-off of 15 mph or 20 mph so there couldn't really be any legislation saying that I am OK on a cycle path but Fred with his 20mph limit can't use it - hence we would all get banned

personally I think we are lucky to have them classed as normal bikes anyway - given the rabid anti-bike people that inhabit the roads at times - so I don't want anything rocking the boat

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
The simple fact is that you can have an ebike with a top speed of up to 30mph and legally ride it on the roads. It’s just that you also have to register it as a motor vehicle and have insurance and the correct driving licence. No problem.