UK source for 36v Twist Throttle with key switch ?

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
I have a fault with my throttle, it may be fixable but i am looking anyway for a UK source for a replacement.

Does anyone know where i can get a 36v Twist Throttle with key switch like the one below :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V-E-BIKE-Throttle-Twist-Grip-with-LED-Battery-indicator-and-Key-Switch/131447641030?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20131017132637&meid=c86e5ac7c761440e8825ee262c4d18a4&pid=100033&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=331168755327

The price is ok its just that i don't fancy waiting 2 weeks or more to get back on the road.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Ajax,

I doubt if they are available in the UK, it might be quicker to just order one than wait for someone to advise a UK source.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008

Unfortunately they don't have this listed as purchasable accessory.

No mind, i found the source of my woes. The wire used to take the main current from the battery up to the keyswitch and back to the controller must have fused, it was that thin.

I've botched a by-pass in the controller for now so that the power goes stright from the battery to the control. This should last until i get the new throttle/switch assembley, besides which, its always good to have spares.

As an extra note, the lights on the throttle assembly seem much brighter now, which makes me wonder if that very thin wire, taking power to and from keyswitch, was impeading the amount of current getting to the controller. The motor also seems ~faster~, but it might just be me. :)

Given that the wire shorted out, should i have a fuse on that wire before it enters the controller, or do i just leave this for the controller to manage?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

That wire hardly carries any current. If it were my bike, I'd get one of those thumb throttles with a red button switch to save messing about with a key. Alternatively, put your own switch between those two wires.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
That wire hardly carries any current. If it were my bike, I'd get one of those thumb throttles with a red button switch to save messing about with a key. Alternatively, put your own switch between those two wires.
As it happens i traced the wires from the battery. One went directly to the controller, the other was graphed to a very very thin wire, the sort you get on prototype boards to take a ttl signal. This wire at some point was graphed to the heavier wire found on the key switch and then the same gauge of wire took the return current back to the controller.

All i would say is anyone thinking of upgrading their battery to increase the current, or increasing the shunt on their controllers for the same reasons, needs to spare a thought to the quality of wires in their wiring harness. I guess in most cases the wires from the battery would go directly into the controller, with another pair of wires from the controller acting as the key / switch, but this wasn't the case here..

As for keys, i like keys. They are more a deterant to wouldbe lifters than a simple switch and anyway my battery also uses a key to secure it, so i can't avoid the use of a key.

D

Deleted member 4366

As I said, that wire to the key-switch only carries the current to work the sensors and the controller's CPU - something in the order of 50 milliamps. It doesn't need to be thick. The thick wires from the battery to the controller carry the power to the motor. For them, thicker is better.

nigel610

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 13, 2015
As I said, that wire to the key-switch only carries the current to work the sensors and the controller's CPU - something in the order of 50 milliamps. It doesn't need to be thick. The thick wires from the battery to the controller carry the power to the motor. For them, thicker is better.

D

Deleted member 4366

Could you explain what you want? You haven't written anything, Nigel.