Ultra HD Television Sets

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I need to replace my old Sony TV with a new one. I'm looking at some of the Ultra HD sets offered by Samsung in the JU7000 range. Anyone in the know regarding UHD? Is it worth the extra cost or is the technology still in it's infancy?

Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I bought a Sony 4K UHD 65" set about 18 months ago and would never want to go back to a standard HD set, it's that good.

Make sure you know what you're getting though. Mine is an upscaling set that multiplies up all that it receives, so HD becomes Ultra HD and standard TV becomes much better, though not quite up to Full HD. Basically the eqivalent resolutions in camera language:

Standard TV = 0.4 megapixels

HD ready = 0.9 megapixels

Full HD = 2 megapixels

Ultra HD = 8 megapixels

An upscaling set multiplies the first three as they are received by 4 times, and the fine detail onscreen is amazing.

There are some cheaper Ultra HD sets that are only capable of receiving Ultra HD when it's transmitted, they don't upscale the rest.

Also make sure it's a current set. There are different HDMI connector standards, just like the different USB standards in computing. The latest HDMI standard will enable connection of all the latest accessories like Blue Ray players and newer developments.

This is the latest version of my set, it comes in 55", 65" or 75", scroll down for all the details.

Last edited:
Reactions: tillson

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
does the sony have hdmi2 input tho as if not will only be 30fps and no good for games from a pc gfx cards with hdmi2 outputs.

hdmi2 has 60fps but to run crisis 3 on it will take 3 titan gfx cards in x fire mode so just not worth it atm or got spare 3k for the cards.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
does the sony have hdmi2 input tho as if not will only be 30fps and no good for games from a pc gfx cards with hdmi2 outputs.

hdmi2 has 60fps but to run crisis 3 on it will take 3 titan gfx cards in x fire mode so just not worth it atm or got spare 3k for the cards.
I'm not into any form of game playing so that doesn't matter to me, nor do i want BlueRay. I think the latest ones have HDMI 2, hence my warning to tillson to get a current set, since there's plenty of dated stock at dealers.

Reactions: soundwave

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I didn't get any further than the price. Does the quality of the programme improve also?

Reactions: robert44 and Gringo

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have only had mine for 4 days but so far it is a lot better than my old hd1080p tv.

tho some shows look a bit like lego but the 4k stuff you can get will blow you away from what i have watched so far ;)

mine is a samsung 6 series 1200pqi 4k curved

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I didn't get any further than the price. Does the quality of the programme improve also?
Launch price was £5995, but mine was bought when the list price was £4995 :eek:, but I went direct to Sony and got 15% discount.

Programmes improve? :D In a sense some do actually. When a program has content that benefits from really good picture quality and good quality sound, a marginal program can become much more watchable.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
can you get any of the movie sites to work on it tho 1 ive found will work on mine. tho others will not even get the home page up like its blocked.

ott box will sort that tho ;)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I bought a Sony 4K UHD 65" set about 18 months ago and would never want to go back to a standard HD set, it's that good.

Make sure you know what you're getting though. Mine is an upscaling set that multiplies up all that it receives, so HD becomes Ultra HD and standard TV becomes much better, though not quite up to Full HD. Basically the eqivalent resolutions in camera language:

Standard TV = 0.4 megapixels

HD ready = 0.9 megapixels

Full HD = 2 megapixels

Ultra HD = 8 megapixels

An upscaling set multiplies the first three as they are received by 4 times, and the fine detail onscreen is amazing.

There are some cheaper Ultra HD sets that are only capable of receiving Ultra HD when it's transmitted, they don't upscale the rest.

Also make sure it's a current set. There are different HDMI connector standards, just like the different USB standards in computing. The latest HDMI standard will enable connection of all the latest accessories like Blue Ray players and newer developments.

This is the latest version of my set, it comes in 55", 65" or 75", scroll down for all the details.
Thanks flecc, some useful information here.

I looked at the Sony, but the 55" model is too wide for where I want to put it. All of my previous sets have been Sony, but this time I think it will be Samsung or LG, with the Samsung being a whisker ahead.

The JU7000 upscales the input source. I've been looking at various sets side by side in John Lewis this afternoon, all upscaling Bargain Hunt. The JU7000 made a good job of it.

It does have the HDMI 2.0a ports, but like you I have no interest in gaming. It may be useful for higher frame rates at some future time though.

I am interested to hear that you think UHD is worth the investment, and thanks again for your thoughts.

Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Thanks flecc, I always trust you but since I spend more time on a bike than in front of a tele I will stick with my old CRT set.

Reactions: flecc and Blew it

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
oled are better screens blacks ect but not sure if its worth more than double the cost of mine tbh.

give it a few months and will be another 1k of those lg 1s as all the others will be oled soon so more to chose from.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
can you get any of the movie sites to work on it tho 1 ive found will work on mine. tho others will not even get the home page up like its blocked.

ott box will sort that tho ;)
No, I don't use the onboard internet software other than for updates, since it's very slow acting. I have three recorders attached though. There's an old Panasonic Freeview disc DVD and HDD recorder that I keep just for DVDs. To that I added originally a Humax two tuner satellite HDD recorder which has Freetime. Now the latest addition is a Humax three tuner Freeview HDD recorder which is best of all for the internet side, 9 day programming, TV company players etc., and this will probably displace the satellite recorder at some point. The Sony TV has both satellite and freeview tuners as well so I've got loads of recording and viewing options.

Fortunately I have a building mounted amplified aerial system multi-feed with twin satellite aerial outlets, one freeview outlet and FM and DAB aerial outlets. In addition I've got separate aerial feeds from three loft mounted freeview TV aerials and one FM/DAB aerial, so with 9 independent aerial connections I don't have to piggy back things.

But I'm not viewing and listening all the time, I spend many hours out in the countryside, some time in this forum and more online time working in the Natural History Museum forum carrying out identifications of wildlife for members of the public inquiries, like these:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/natureplus/message/76731#76731

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/natureplus/message/76572#76572

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/natureplus/message/76505#76505

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/natureplus/message/76237#76237

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/natureplus/message/76134#76131

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/natureplus/message/77371#77371

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the on board net on mine is pretty fast lot better than i thought it would be tbh and loads off apps games ect to chose from tho only 4gb of space and half used atm with what come with it tho u can remove the 1s you dont use or like to free up space.

this works on mine but might not work on other makes of tv

https://projectfreetv.unblocked.pe/

still get pop ups tho ;(
player from that site

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am suspicious... Old Sonys never die!

Having been in front of Sony and Samsung TVs for many hours (my TV is also my computer screen upon which this message was composed, no useless gadgets around here) Sony wins for image quality. I have also been involved with digital imaging since before soundwave was conceived.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my last tv sharp lasted near 8 years and was still working when they took it away when the samsung 1 came.

id also try to get 1 with a 5 year warranty with it if you can ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
id also try to get 1 with a 5 year warranty with it if you can ;)
Buying mine at high price but going direct to Sony for a 15% discount, at the same time I got them to throw in a five year warranty to close the deal.

I don't usually bother with extended warranties and certainly wouldn't pay for one, but with the new tech of 4K I thought that safest.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
1 thing that does my head in with tvs is have only got hdmi and no display port connectors like a pc monitor that has them all.

the 1st Panasonic sets did have them but not sure on the sony 1 as never looked as used weird ass wall mounts as was the only way to get 60fps b4 hdmi 2.

Advertisers