Up or Down for the Hub motor Lead?

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
For the 2 hub motors I installed on donor bikes it made sense to have the lead out of the axle, be it front or rear, to exit upwards to the forks or seat stays, avoiding a downward loop which, on an MTB, might snag in the woods. It did mean a small area open to the elements at the exit from the rubber wheel nut cover but this can be sprayed with water repellent or wrapped with self annealing tape. On balance I'd rather leave open to evaporate any moisture build up during cold nights in the bike shed! I have since noticed that kit instructions say " mount cable exit downwards" I agree this would give a little more slack, enabling the wheel to be taken off without having to snip any cable ties off. Which way do you guys do? Up or Down!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
exit downward, you can then leave the motor axle unsealed to let the moisture evaporate.
This is the motor cable on the Woosh Bermuda
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bermuda

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

If your wire exits upwards and you go out in the rain, your motor will most likely fill up with water that won't evaporate. The inside of the motor isn't protected against rust, so the clutch will then jam as well as the gears.