Update on N.I. e-bike regs.

Gazwald

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 28, 2020
New chains fitted. General bout of fettling and we are out again.
33 mile round trip via the towpath and the Titanic Quarter.
Splendid.

Gazwald, give me a bit of time as I have some info which might or might not help you.
No problem, @TedG thank you!

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Hi Gazwald
Sorry for the delay but I have done a bit of research and although it maybe of no use to you – or you already are familiar – or it could be too expensive. Either way the trike in question was originally bought by a local man about five years ago from a company called Ross Cycles in Castlewellan Co Down. The make is Volt and as that is the same as our bicycles (Infinity and Pulse) I can confirm as an ex auto engineer in a past life that the quality is excellent. It would be fair to say that make is not the most popular, perhaps being seen as too expensive but if I had to buy another I would stick with that due to the manufacturing quality. I accept that this trike bears little resemblance to a tadpole trike and may be totally unsuitable to your needs. My disability still lets me ride an e-bike but not a conventional bicycle however you may have more needs which this trike cannot meet.
Just a thought as Anne says he was making great progress with a full basket despite his problems.
It certainly looks a tad dated so apologies if I am way off the mark - and also if the attachment fails.

Attachments

• Informative
Reactions: Gazwald

Gazwald

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 28, 2020
Hi Gazwald
Sorry for the delay but I have done a bit of research and although it maybe of no use to you – or you already are familiar – or it could be too expensive. Either way the trike in question was originally bought by a local man about five years ago from a company called Ross Cycles in Castlewellan Co Down. The make is Volt and as that is the same as our bicycles (Infinity and Pulse) I can confirm as an ex auto engineer in a past life that the quality is excellent. It would be fair to say that make is not the most popular, perhaps being seen as too expensive but if I had to buy another I would stick with that due to the manufacturing quality. I accept that this trike bears little resemblance to a tadpole trike and may be totally unsuitable to your needs. My disability still lets me ride an e-bike but not a conventional bicycle however you may have more needs which this trike cannot meet.
Just a thought as Anne says he was making great progress with a full basket despite his problems.
It certainly looks a tad dated so apologies if I am way off the mark - and also if the attachment fails.
No need to apologise @TedG. I am grateful for all the information I have received.

I have never heard of Ross Cycles so I shall check them out.

with my disability I have reduced knee flection in both knees. So to cycle I actually use crank shorteners to shorten the length of crank from 170mm to 106-115mm leg dependant. I have this set up currently on an upright bicycle attached to a trainer (alot of Zwift). So the Volt trike would actually resemble my current setup more.

At the minute I am currently just carrying out the required research (while saving) on trikes which might suit me to eventually be able to cycle outside. (hence choosing an e trike to help with the hills)

I have also found out this week that there are tadpole trikes up near Castlewellan which you can rent out, so i'm going to contact them to see if they will allow me to try my pedal attachments on them to see if a recumbent trike is actually a viable option for me. If not this Volt trike will probably be my next avenue to try.

So again thank you for being patient with me and answering the questions I have had.

P.S. I have added images of my crank shorteners, just incase they are of interest of anyone, I am also happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have also found out this week that there are tadpole trikes up near Castlewellan which you can rent out, so i'm going to contact them to see if they will allow me to try my pedal attachments on them to see if a recumbent trike is actually a viable option for me. If not this Volt trike will probably be my next avenue to try.
English bicycle designer Mike Burrows is both a recumbent fan and short cranks enthusiast, so that pairing would seem favourable:

Mike Burrows - bicycle designer

Mike Burrows on Short Cranks

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Hi Guys
In the light of the recommendations on insurance requirements from Dept of Infrastructure here after their decision to make ebikes legal as in the rest of the UK and Europe can I ask what cover you folk have (Personal and public liability as well as theft).
Are there any companies you could recommend or is Cycling UK who offer insurance a good option?
Sixty years on two wheels and I have never thought to have cover, however times certainly change.
Thanks
Ted.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Hi Guys
In the light of the recommendations on insurance requirements from Dept of Infrastructure here after their decision to make ebikes legal as in the rest of the UK and Europe can I ask what cover you folk have (Personal and public liability as well as theft).
Are there any companies you could recommend or is Cycling UK who offer insurance a good option?
Sixty years on two wheels and I have never thought to have cover, however times certainly change.
Thanks
Ted.
Anyone?

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland
Hi Ted, I'm waiting for my new bike to arrive so have been looking at insurance. Locally John Hanna Cycles have a discount code for Bikmo insurance but there are others I've been checking out Cycleguard and Cycleplan. Some offer roadside assistance / recovery, handy with an ebike. I will update when I've decided.

Reactions: TedG

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Hi Ted, I'm waiting for my new bike to arrive so have been looking at insurance. Locally John Hanna Cycles have a discount code for Bikmo insurance but there are others I've been checking out Cycleguard and Cycleplan. Some offer roadside assistance / recovery, handy with an ebike. I will update when I've decided.
Hi Sam, we are in Lisburn and are in and out of Hanna's from time to time so will make some enquiries with him.
Keep us updated with your plans.