Upgrade - Ananda MC5-B0 Controller

wilhian

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2021
Hello,

I have an electric bike and would like to upgrade the controller and display (continue with engine).

My current configuration is:

Ananda Display D15
Ananda Controller MC5-B0
Motor/Engine
SN M129321199144
AN T0050011-1011400035-00
36V 250W 29 "P8

My question is:
When asking the controller/display vendor if it was compatible with my current engine, they asked me if the engine protocol is 5.0.

I have not found the information. I don't know if the ANANDA MC5-B0 controller is protocol 5.0 and I don't know if the engine is protocol 5.0.

How can I find this information?

Thanks,
Wilhian

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hello,

I have an electric bike and would like to upgrade the controller and display (continue with engine).

My current configuration is:

Ananda Display D15
Ananda Controller MC5-B0
Motor/Engine
SN M129321199144
AN T0050011-1011400035-00
36V 250W 29 "P8

My question is:
When asking the controller/display vendor if it was compatible with my current engine, they asked me if the engine protocol is 5.0.

I have not found the information. I don't know if the ANANDA MC5-B0 controller is protocol 5.0 and I don't know if the engine is protocol 5.0.

How can I find this information?

Thanks,
Wilhian
You may get more help here if you supply photos of everything and state the make and the exact model of your bike......its all a bit "up in the air" at this moment.....
Just a thought!
regards
Andy

Reactions: wilhian

wilhian

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2021
You may get more help here if you supply photos of everything and state the make and the exact model of your bike......its all a bit "up in the air" at this moment.....
Just a thought!
regards
Andy
Andy,
Thanks for the answer.

My problem is the 18km/h speed limit.
My bike is an Oggi 8.0 (Brazil). 250w 36v.

Below are the photos of the display, controller and engine.
If there is a display option that allows you to change the speed limit, that would solve the problem.

I researched that the Ananda D15 display uses UART communication. If I buy a panel with the same UART communication will it be compatible?

That way I wouldn't need to change the controller.

Best regards,
Wilhian

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A couple of Q's.
1. Why /what reason do you want to upgrade ?
2. Which system do you want to upgrade too ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 18 km/h cut off is low, have you tried entering the settings to change it ?
Although uart one won't be able to use any other digital display like lishui or KT as the software is different, they would switch on but the comm's wouldn't be compatible and one would have very limited settings as well as error codes.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can we have a pic of the controller wiring as well ?

wilhian

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2021
The 18 km/h cut off is low, have you tried entering the settings to change it ?
Although uart one won't be able to use any other digital display like lishui or KT as the software is different, they would switch on but the comm's wouldn't be compatible and one would have very limited settings as well as error codes.
I never tried to change the speed limit.

because of the difficulties in finding a display to change the speed limit, i would like to replace the controller and the display, but i would like to keep the motor current. I don't know if it's possible.

My current controller looks very simple. See the photo.

I would like to upgrade to a BAFANG controller and panel for ease of purchase. But the seller asked me if my engine was protocol 5.0. Understand why I want the protocol information?

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hub are simple they don't have protocols, they work with any controller/display combo that are compatible with each other.

If the hub has the waterproof julet connector then you can upgrade to kt or bafang controller and display.

The controller pic shows no connectors !!!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The motor connector is a std 9 pin layout so any controller/display comb will work.
The pas and throttle if used may not depending on the connector type.

Bafang use higo type connector for the peripheral's and KT use Julet or sm block connector's, higo and julet aren't compatible wiring wise as the sequence layout is different. You may have to replace the PAS and throttle as well.

wilhian

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2021
The motor connector is a std 9 pin layout so any controller/display comb will work.
The pas and throttle if used may not depending on the connector type.

Bafang use higo type connector for the peripheral's and KT use Julet or sm block connector's, higo and julet aren't compatible wiring wise as the sequence layout is different. You may have to replace the PAS and throttle as well.
I don't have throttle.

The kit I want to buy already comes with controller + display + Torque sensor.

The main question you answered me. The engine does not depend on protocol versions. Right?

So I need to make sure the controller meets 36v 250w and that its size fits the frame.

Does the battery have any communication with the controller? Or is it like the engine?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As long as the battery is only two connection then it is generic.

The TS makes little sense with a hub motor but each to there own, Ii the TS controller available a spare on it's own should is need replacing in the future.

wilhian

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2021
As long as the battery is only two connection then it is generic.

The TS makes little sense with a hub motor but each to there own, Ii the TS controller available a spare on it's own should is need replacing in the future.
Only two conections.

i will buy the upgrade and when i install i return to say.

Thank you very much.
Best regards,
Wilhian

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I always ignore controller watts rating and match the current max rating for my battery and needs. Making my own batteries I always opt for a 25/30a continuous BMS so I can use the larger 9 fet controllers and use now 20a rated good cells (if available).

wilhian

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2021
I always ignore controller watts rating and match the current max rating for my battery and needs. Making my own batteries I always opt for a 25/30a continuous BMS so I can use the larger 9 fet controllers and use now 20a rated good cells (if available).

Thanks for the tip.

One more question:

Could a controller for 36v 350w/500w be used on a 250w motor?

I'm setting up a kit with controller so I can update the engine in the future. The Bafang 850c dispaly (which I would like), shows in the manual that it is possible to change the current between 6A ~ 50A... is this what I need to configure for a 250w motor?

In other words, is it safe for me to use this 350w controller on a 250w motor setting the current on the display?

Thank you very much.
Wilhian

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As I say ignore the 250/350/500w rating that sellers use and be guided by the current rating of the controller, the current rating needs to be a bit less then the specs of the battery continuous current. Some so called 250/350w cheaper controllers only have a 13a current rating whilst other decent ones will have up to 20a rating.

Going back to your Q of 'Could a controller for 36v 350w/500w be used on a 250w motor?'

Then yes if the battery continuous rating is known and is greater then the controller or the display has the ability to to reduce the controller current rating.

A display that allows current adjustment is a good option and can be tailor set to a little under the battery rating. If one has a battery that has only a 15a continuous rating then one doesn't want to draw more then 15a as the cells will likely be stressed, in such a case one would stop the current draw at around 12a. It is always best to buy or use a battery with the greater continuous current rating then the controller rating.

wilhian

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2021
As I say ignore the 250/350/500w rating that sellers use and be guided by the current rating of the controller, the current rating needs to be a bit less then the specs of the battery continuous current. Some so called 250/350w cheaper controllers only have a 13a current rating whilst other decent ones will have up to 20a rating.

Going back to your Q of 'Could a controller for 36v 350w/500w be used on a 250w motor?'

Then yes if the battery continuous rating is known and is greater then the controller or the display has the ability to to reduce the controller current rating.

A display that allows current adjustment is a good option and can be tailor set to a little under the battery rating. If one has a battery that has only a 15a continuous rating then one doesn't want to draw more then 15a as the cells will likely be stressed, in such a case one would stop the current draw at around 12a. It is always best to buy or use a battery with the greater continuous current rating then the controller rating.
Interesting.

Please find attached information about my battery, it does not say the maximum current. Do you know what it is?

The controller is 36v16a, I even wanted a bigger one, but I have a size limitation, as it is inside the bike frame.

I understand your explanation and if I install a 500w motor it would not work at its maximum capacity. The 36v16a controller accepts a maximum 350w engine at its maximum capacity ?

Attachments

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A 500w hub is no different to a 250w one, the wattage rating is what ever the manufacturer decides to stick on it for the market they sell to. Try selling a motor marked 250w in the USA they will laugh but stick 500w on it and they sell.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your battery uses the LG MG1 cell, as cells go it is one of the very mediocre 10a rated cells.
One wouldn't want to draw more then 16a from that battery.

wilhian

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2021
A 500w hub is no different to a 250w one, the wattage rating is what ever the manufacturer decides to stick on it for the market they sell to. Try selling a motor marked 250w in the USA they will laugh but stick 500w on it and they sell.
This 250w motor of mine, what current limit would you set?

the Controller I want to buy has 16A and its size fits on the bike.

Have you seen the battery? Can we find out what current limit it has?