Upgrade from my Ezee V2 kit

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
Hiya all.

I have a dilemma. After 30 years of hard cycling my knees are knackered, so I have been getting out on my Ezee converted bike (48V) and using it on throttle only.
It's good fun but it does struggle a bit on the steep hills I have around here.

So I have been looking at more powerful alternatives.

The Ezee has a geared motor and peaks at about 19.5Amps and 850 watts of power.
The kit I was looking at is a gearless 1500 watt hub, runs at 52volts and has a 35Amp controller.

Would the 1500 watt kit it be any better on the hills? It will produce more power but has a gearless motor?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
No it won't. Direct drive motors are great for high speed riding on the flat, but will struggle and quickly become bogged down on hills, turning your precious battery power into heat.
Don't be fooled by the 250w rating of most motors, it is merely the continuous rating and has nothing to do with actual power consumed.
I'm surprised you're saying the Ezee struggles, maybe it's because you're using throttle only. The Ezee (along with the Bafang bpm) are known to be high torque motors. Mine gets me around the hills of west wales on assist level 2, though I do have to work, but thay's OK.

• Agree
Reactions: wehey and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree with Benjahmin, the direct drive motor would be a poor choice for your need.

Swapping your controller for a higher output one around 25 amps would be a much cheaper and better option if available.

Reactions: wehey

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
Thanks for the replies folks :)
I have noticed that grin technology do a 25 amp controller for the Ezee, but looking at the pictures it seems to have different connections to mine.
It would be a perfect upgrade if it would fit