USB from Shimano dynamo hub

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Thanks for your time.

I should have pointed out that as i'd primarily be using it as an iPhone charger, I would need it to have some sort of battery/reservoir to maintain the voltage when you slow below a usable speed for a reliable and constant supply to 5vdc. It appears the first link doesn't.. Just going to have a look at the second...

I have had a search around actually and haven't found something suitable as of yet.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
I've got a version around a 5000mAh and it's totally handy. (Actually the one you linked to looks like a bargain!).

I suppose i'm being a bit ergonomic about it and just pictured a simple neat little hole to shove the USB connector in to. Dream on maybe!

(Edit. I just bought one of those 12000mAh batteries :confused: Seemed like such a bargain. We shall see..)

D

Deleted member 4366

It can be done if you want to do a bit of DIY electronics, but you still end up with a box that you plug into. You can take the battery one anywhere. There's a slightly more expensive one that you could charge from your dynamo, but you might need to add a rectifier. Is your fynamo A/C or D/C?

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Apologies for the late reply..!

The hub is a Shimano 3N72A. Seems like a 3watts at 6volts affair. There's no clear sign that it's AC or DC but due to the job it seems to be made for (maybe the only job it's capable of) is running some front and rear lights so I suppose it's likely DC.

My thoughts therefore have moved away from hoping it could easily supply a 5vdc for general USB usage on top of it's job (which it does a fair job at) running some front and rear lights.

Thanks again d8veh for the head up on the 12000mAh battery. They just get cheaper and cheaper...!

I just now have to figure a simple way of using that as my USB source so I can use the iPhone as a touring type GPS

Last edited: