Help! Use of balanced charger

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
IM new here . I have one of my giant suede . Bike with limited range battery I’ve been Told it may be revitalised with a baa as lances charger subject to cell tests . Anyone prepared to give me a brief idiots guide for procedure
Thanks
Mike

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A 36v lithium-ion battery has 10 cell-groups. They each need to be the same voltage otherwise you lose capacity. There is a management pcb (BMS) that takes care of balancing provided that you fully charge each time. There is a wire from each cell group that goes to the BMS so that it can check the cell voltages. These wires are normally come to single multi-pin connector that plugs into the BMS. You can unplug it and check the cell voltages with a meter by measuring each pair of adjacent pins. Here's a picture that should help:

If they're wildly out of balance you can balance them manually with an RC balance charger using pinstrip to connect the two. The charger has a balance function. Once set and activated, everything is automatic. RC chargers normally only go up to 6S, so you can balance up to 6 adjacent cells at a time

You can also charge one cell at a time with a 5v USB charger, but you have to keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn't overcharge.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
A 36v lithium-ion battery has 10 cell-groups. They each need to be the same voltage otherwise you lose capacity. There is a management pcb (BMS) that takes care of balancing provided that you fully charge each time. There is a wire from each cell group that goes to the BMS so that it can check the cell voltages. These wires are normally come to single multi-pin connector that plugs into the BMS. You can unplug it and check the cell voltages with a meter by measuring each pair of adjacent pins. Here's a picture that should help:
View attachment 37557

If they're wildly out of balance you can balance them manually with an RC balance charger using pinstrip to connect the two. The charger has a balance function. Once set and activated, everything is automatic. RC chargers normally only go up to 6S, so you can balance up to 6 adjacent cells at a time

You can also charge one cell at a time with a 5v USB charger, but you have to keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn't overcharge.
Thanks vfr. I’ll have a look and if my head doesn’t hurt I’ll give it a go for the cost of a balanced charger .
imJust waiting For Neal To answer my last query on mosfets . Think they’re ok but not sure about something . See my last post on the other thread
Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Before buying the charger, measure the cell voltages. If it's already balanced, you won't need the charger.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
View attachment 37557

I won’t get balanced charger until i test voltage . But I was told voltage reading from multimeter needs to be gone under load . Is that correct ? And considering the Giant Suede goes back to 2005 is it still possible that battery can be revitalised ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You don't have to test under load for balancing that just shows if you have weak cells.

A 2005 battery is not likely to be very good. Is it NiHm or Lithium?

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
if you open the case, it should be obvious. NiHms are big cylindrical things like C-cells
It’s nimh and I know it’s obvious but I’m gonna have to break the wrapping . So what’s best to rewrap it plZ
What’s your opinion ? Is it better to aliexpress for 45 -55 quid or shall I open the cell wrap and check

Attachments

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It’s nimh and I know it’s obvious but I’m gonna have to break the wrapping . So what’s best to rewrap it plZ
What’s your opinion ? Is it better to aliexpress for 45 -55 quid or shall I open the cell wrap and check
You don't have to balance nihms. If the pack voltage is down, they're probably scrap. There's no BMS either.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
You don't have to balance nihms. If the pack voltage is down, they're probably scrap. There's no BMS either.
Ok thanks .so if I buy Ali. Which do you recommend ? Do I need to buy set of charger And battery ? or can I get one that will fit existing charger which I think is provably a better charger. If there’s any chance of a link plz . Existing is 36v 9ah nimh but I assume I can get lithium ?? And maybe bigger ah ??

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Ok thanks .so if I buy Ali. Which do you recommend ? Do I need to buy set of charger And battery ? or can I get one that will fit existing charger which I think is provably a better charger. If there’s any chance of a link plz . Existing is 36v 9ah nimh but I assume I can get lithium ?? And maybe bigger ah ??
I'd chuck it all and get lithium.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
I'd chuck it all and get lithium.
Will do And I know I need 36v but bear in mindIt’s not my thing and I need to be sure which one to buy and whether I need One with a new charger . These giant chargers have a label on them staying nimh charger . So do I need battery and charger? And I’ll need advice on how to swap into the giants battery casing and connections
I’d better break down my questions
1. 36v Lithium ? With new charger ?
2.anything that will fit in Existing battery housing ?
3. Existing 9 ah . WhT size ah Do I get. How much more ah?
4 Do I have to adapt Casing to receive new charger connection And do I need to get a female connector for new charger ?
5. Do I need one with all other connections same as original or do I just adapt ?
thanks

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What ever battery chemistry you buy make sure you buy a battery and charger together, that way you can't go wrong.
Nimh charger is no good for lithium, stick the charger in room101 and forget about it.

For 36v I would simply buy one off ebay if your bike can use any generic battery.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Will do And I know I need 36v but bear in mindIt’s not my thing and I need to be sure which one to buy and whether I need One with a new charger . These giant chargers have a label on them staying nimh charger . So do I need battery and charger? And I’ll need advice on how to swap into the giants battery casing and connections
Most batteries come with a charger. The nihm charger probably wonz't work any because they normally monitor a temperature sensor, which a lithium battery doesn't have.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nimh cells are 1.2v nom with a max 1.4 - 1.5 top voltage, most Li is 4.2 v max per cell. Use the correct charger to do the job.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
What ever battery chemistry you buy make sure you buy a battery and charger together, that way you can't go wrong.
Nimh charger is no good for lithium, stick the charger in room101 and forget about it.

For 36v I would simply buy one off ebay if your bike can use any generic battery.
Thanks Nealh. I edited this post bit later with 5 questions to make sure I know what to buy and what to do as I’ve not done it before. If I can get answer to 5 questions Whenever you or vfr see them later thanks

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Hope I guys dint mind a different question on this thread cus not received answer on my new thread .
my second bike I just got is pedal assist only but motor kicks in immediately any Pedal pressure Felt even if I’m stationery . Can that be right ? Frightened it’ll damage motor when I’m stationery . Other bike you need to get up to a certain speed before motor comes in