Help! Use of balanced charger

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Will do And I know I need 36v but bear in mindIt’s not my thing and I need to be sure which one to buy and whether I need One with a new charger . These giant chargers have a label on them staying nimh charger . So do I need battery and charger? And I’ll need advice on how to swap into the giants battery casing and connections
I’d better break down my questions
1. 36v Lithium ? With new charger ?
2.anything that will fit in Existing battery housing ?
3. Existing 9 ah . WhT size ah Do I get. How much more ah?
4 Do I have to adapt Casing to receive new charger connection And do I need to get a female connector for new charger ?
5. Do I need one with all other connections same as original or do I just adapt ?
thanks
1. Yes to both.
2. Need to see a pic of said housing.
3. You can use an Ah battery, more Ah means more range and holds higher voltage longer.
4. New battery and new charger will match, for old casing just by charger the correct charge connector is possible. Show us a pic.
5. Adapt if need be, again a pic.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
1. Yes to both.
2. Need to see a pic of said housing.
3. You can use an Ah battery, more Ah means more range and holds higher voltage longer.
4. New battery and new charger will match, for old casing just by charger the correct charge connector is possible. Show us a pic.
5. Adapt if need be, again a pic.
Pic for 2. 4. And 5
Charging port is circular 3 pin so I guess I need a female for the single barrel charger supplied with battery. Or will it be attached ? All the battery plus charger sets seem to be barrel type

Attachments

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The charge port connector type is an XLR one you can search/find a charger with said connector.

For the housing you may be able to get it re -celled, what is the internal depth of the case, it needs to be at least 75mm - 80MM for 18650 Li cells.
If so put it all back together then get jimmy at ebikebatteries.co.uk to re-cell it, he will arrange a courier both ways for collection/delivery cost will be about £300. His services are excellent give him a call and explain your needs he will fit a new BMS.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Going back to the original OP chargers don't balance unless it is a Lipo type used when no BMS is fitted, the user inputs the balance limits. Some of these charger types can charge other chemistries in the settings but tbh Nimh is now old hat and ancient for ebike use.
For the price of a Lipo charger and a PSU for it is at least £50 towards a new all singing and dancing Li battery with BMS. Lithium has power, range and weight benefit's over the older chem's.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
The charge port connector type is an XLR one you can search/find a charger with said connector.

For the housing you may be able to get it re -celled, what is the internal depth of the case, it needs to be at least 75mm - 80MM for 18650 Li cells.
If so put it all back together then get jimmy at ebikebatteries.co.uk to re-cell it, he will arrange a courier both ways for collection/delivery cost will be about £300. His services are excellent give him a call and explain your needs he will fit a new BMS.
Thanks For the link . But probAbly this is stupid question . Why canT I use existing charger ? Is it because it’s for a nimh ?
With all due respect I won’t pay 300 for a battery For a bike that I got for 190 . I’ll make do with an ali battery for 50 .i assume I can switch the Charging socket From old battery to new ??

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You won't get an Ali one for £50 the ones you will have seen will be fake as most of us know they are.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
You won't get an Ali one for £50 the ones you will have seen will be fake as most of us know they are.
Well that’s on hold. now anyway . Cos the duff battery is in the second bike I just bought . So I’m using battery from bike 1 which is ok . I’ll worry about another battery when I get bike going . . But dont know why you say false Are the reviews false too ? What u mean false ? They must work to some degree . What’s wrong with them ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Post a link for us to see, so far the ones that have been posted are right scams.
If you pay Pnuts for a Li battery rated as 20- 30ah then expected any cell to also contain Pnuts or sawdust, sand , dirt or any other fine aggregate possible to fit inside.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Post a link for us to see, so far the ones that have been posted are right scams.
But really there’s lots .some are listed as Panasonic . ???? . It’s just a matter of choosing one that will fit in casing Simply putting 36v lithium in search will show them all . You’d know better than me which of these to consider the

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
If you pay Pnuts for a Li battery rated as 20- 30ah then expected any cell to also contain Pnuts or sawdust, sand , dirt or any other fine aggregate possible to fit inside.
Stupid Ali site shows wrong results On mobile internet . On app I can’t share result from app

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Exactly my point how on earth doe one get 20ah from 10s 4p when no one makes a 5ah battery cell in 18650 format ( You will be very lucky if that battery can output 2ah max ).
And all for £43 it's a fake offering which only the gullible fall for, Panny cells for a £1 each and a charger ? A good BMS is £15 plus the wiring , spot welded interconnectors , shrink wrap etc etc. :eek: :eek: :eek: .

The forum always needs Guinea pigs but please, please I don't want you to brun your house down let alone have your fingers burnt.

COME ON OTHER FORUMITES HAVE A WORD PLEASE........

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Exactly my point how on earth doe one get 20ah from 10s 4p when no one makes a 5ah battery cell in 18650 format ( You will be very lucky if that battery can output 2ah max ).
And all for £43 it's a fake offering which only the gullible fall for, Panny cells for a £1 each and a charger ? A good BMS is £15 plus the wiring , spot welded interconnectors , shrink wrap etc etc. :eek: :eek: :eek: .

The forum always needs Guinea pigs but please, please I don't want you to brun your house down let alone have your fingers burnt.

COME ON OTHER FORUMITES HAVE A WORD PLEASE........
Somebody in this Forum must have bought from Ali. Speak up.
anyway as I’ve said , ive put my battery from bike 1 with bike 2 and that’s fine for my use about 12 miles. that leaves me with bike number1 work in progress , with a battery that goes about 5 miles . So I think new battery purchase not on cards till I get bike 1 running. I will sell one Of the bikes Eventually Depending on result of repair attempt So maybe not vjeble to buy new battery .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Guys have bought from AliExpress but proper battery prices and not fakes.