Use Swarfega on Oil Stained Hi Viz?

• Thread starter Deleted member 33385
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 33385

Has anyone tried to remove oil stains on hi viz waterproofs using Swarfega? I may be about to. Washing three times has not worked. They're soaking in bicaronate of soda, but that doesn't seem to be working.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Has anyone tried to remove oil stains on hi viz waterproofs using Swarfega? I may be about to. Washing three times has not worked. They're soaking in bicaronate of soda, but that doesn't seem to be working.
Oil stains are tricky.
I use ecover stain remover. Its a gel, in a tube dispenser thingie with bristles on the end.
Put a little gel on the stain. Work it in with the brush/bristles. If its a tough stain, I leave it for an hour or six. Agitate with the bristles every now and again. The deeper the stain, the more you have to do this brushing and the longer you have to leave it. Then put it in a sports wash in the washing machine.
I've yet to find an oil stain that I haven't been able to remove doing this, but some absorbent technical fabrics can take a LOT of work to finally get them clean. I love high end Bontrager cycling clothes, but some of those are buggers for attracting stains!

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

Cheers for your replies!

I have used Gunk on my overall. Worked a treat.
Hmmm... degreaser, could it possibly remove grease I wonder? Wish I had tried that first!

Oil stains are tricky.
I use ecover stain remover.
I remember Ecover! It was only sold in those weirdy beardy wholefood shops where you had to be chewing a twig and wearing open toed flipflops to get in, now it's everywhere. I might try that.

So I used a bit of Swarfega in one small area to test...and some of the yellow rubbed off, which might mean it's removing waterproofing lol. The rest was soaked in a bicarb and washing up liquid mixture for 12 hours, put it through the washer AGAIN and... it's cleaner but some grease spots remain. The part rubbed with Swarfega did seem to have less grease remaining. My Silverline hi viz over-trousers state that they will withstand 25 washes only, and I've put them through my washing machine 4 times in 24 hours. There has got to be a way of removing bike grease without killing the garment or the bonding in it's reflective parts, or removing the waterproofing layer. I may try Ecover and gunk or some combination next time... then apply waterproofing spray and hope that holds out sky waterfalls on those loooong rides home, when I wouldn't notice the difference if I pissed myself.

Last edited:

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Just try dabbing some gunk on the affected area, give it a few minutes then rinse with clean water. Mind you, it was just an overall I was cleaning so not too fussy.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I usually just scrub some washing up liquid into the oily mark, without adding water. Then wash off. Swarfega is basically washing up liquid mixed with paraffin. Easy enough to make your own. Keep adding washing up liquid to some paraffin, until the mixture starts to gel. Hey Presto, you have Swarfega.

D

Deleted member 33385

Just try dabbing some gunk on the affected area, give it a few minutes then rinse with clean water. Mind you, it was just an overall I was cleaning so not too fussy.

Gunk and other degreasers are lot cheaper than Swarfega, which sort-of seemed to work but I had tested too small an area to be sure, stopped rubbing when the yellow started coming off. Will try and report back.

I usually just scrub some washing up liquid into the oily mark, without adding water. Then wash off. Swarfega is basically washing up liquid mixed with paraffin. Easy enough to make your own. Keep adding washing up liquid to some paraffin, until the mixture starts to gel. Hey Presto, you have Swarfega.

I think washing up liquid would work fine on new oil stains, but I left mine to bake well in. I could whizz paraffin and washing up in the blender then? Sparks from the motor would make it explode. Are you sure it's paraffin and washing up liquid? Cue Wiki:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Gunk and other degreasers are lot cheaper than Swarfega, which sort-of seemed to work but I had tested too small an area to be sure, stopped rubbing when the yellow started coming off. Will try and report back.

I think washing up liquid would work fine on new oil stains, but I left mine to bake well in. I could whizz paraffin and washing up in the blender then? Sparks from the motor would make it explode. Are you sure it's paraffin and washing up liquid? Cue Wiki:

I wouldn't take a whole blender full of paraffin, just a cup full. Add washing up liquid to it and mix by hand. Keep adding washing up liquid and mixing until it forms a gel. That's how my dad taught me to make it many years ago.

These days though, I tend to wear nitrile gloves when working on the car or bike. Saves a lot of grief trying to get clean again afterwards.

D

Deleted member 33385

I wouldn't take a whole blender full of paraffin, just a cup full. Add washing up liquid to it and mix by hand. Keep adding washing up liquid and mixing until it forms a gel. That's how my dad taught me to make it many years ago.

I will definitely start making my own Swarfega, following your Dad's excellent recipe.

An antique of remedy surfaces from the depths a couple of weeks ago, for removing tar, oil etc from hands. A knob of butter . Works a treat. My dad used to use it.

I'll try that on my hi viz! I like the idea of smelling like a shortcake biscuit...