V-brake pivot mounting - HELP PLS

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
I have a MTB with a brown front fork following an unplanned meeting with a tree on a downhill ride recently. I have managed to source a replacement suspended front fork which arrived recently. This has now been fitted and appears to work fine.

I do have a problem though. The new fork has both V-brake and disc brake and has been used with disc brakes. However it has no V-brake pivots and I have managed to removed my old pivot from the damaged fork hoping to install it. Unfortunately it was too small to fit into the new fork. It seems my old fork uses M8 thread whereas the new one uses M10. I popped down to Halfrauds yesterday but they don't have such parts for sale. In fact, the lad could even understand what it was even with me showing it to him.

Questions:

1) where can I find some replacement pivot mounting pins?

2) more worryingly, is the diameter of the pivot pin onto which the V-brake pivots all standard? ie is the internal diameter of the V-brakes all standard? The reason why I asked is because looking at some replacement V-brake levers (the one that holds the pad, not the one on the handle bar which you pull) the hold seems to be bigger than my old one - which are SRAM 7. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any advice.

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
Ah, thanks for that John. Does that mean I cannot use my existing brake levers since it would not fit into the new pivots? Are they tweak-able?

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you consider the possibility of fitting a decent disc brake, which would be better. Does your hub support a disc?

D

Deleted member 4366

Ah, thanks for that John. Does that mean I cannot use my existing brake levers since it would not fit into the new pivots? Are they tweak-able?
What he means is that you should check the size of the hole in your brakes where it goes over the pivot in case the pivot is a different diameter. There's another important dimension too: the thread length. As you don't know the depth of the thread, you need to screw in a bolt to see how far it goes. You can use a shorter thread, but not a longer one.

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
What he means is that you should check the size of the hole in your brakes where it goes over the pivot in case the pivot is a different diameter. There's another important dimension too: the thread length. As you don't know the depth of the thread, you need to screw in a bolt to see how far it goes. You can use a shorter thread, but not a longer one.
Got it D8veh. The diameter of the existing pivot with the M8 thread is 8mm. The question I was asking is whether this size is standard, or whether the M10 pivots uses a bigger diameter pivot pin and therefore I need to have new brake levers (the ones on the wheels holding the pads) as well. Visually the ones I saw in Halfords seems to have a bigger size. I guess ideally I want to have some new pivot pins with a M10 thread but 8mm pivot pin.

These details doesn't seem to be available on the listed eBay items, although some of the picture seems to indicate that it could be 8 or 10mm?

Last edited:

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
Did you consider the possibility of fitting a decent disc brake, which would be better. Does your hub support a disc?
Unfortunately this is not possible as the hubs do not take discs. Also, my old bike doesn't have disc brake caliper mountings.

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
There's another important dimension too: the thread length. As you don't know the depth of the thread, you need to screw in a bolt to see how far it goes. You can use a shorter thread, but not a longer one.
Oh, and this can be easily addressed by cutting off a little of the thread if necessary. I have taken a measurement of the thread length and it can take up 15mm length

Advertisers