Vanmoof Electrified S2

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
One downside is that it seems to be over reliant upon a smart phone.
So, lose or break your phone and you are really stuck, even the bike stays locked and cannot be ridden without the motor.
Bad idea

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Look like its main attraction is to be a gadget of the year, not a bicycle.

Reactions: mike killay

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
So, lose or break your phone and you are really stuck, even the bike stays locked and cannot be ridden without the motor.
Bad idea
There appears to be an override code.
Personally, I'd love to see some mobile integration and security introduced to the Shimano E8000; especially if they can do it through software, rather than me need to buy a new one!!

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Unless you physically chain your bike to something it will be stolen. So easy to come along in a van and just pick up an unsecured bike.
I personally am against cross integration of electronic devices. Too easy to hack.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Unless you physically chain your bike to something it will be stolen. So easy to come along in a van and just pick up an unsecured bike.
I personally am against cross integration of electronic devices. Too easy to hack.
Yes, there's no way I'd rely solely on this type of feature - you still need a lock, but I like the idea of not being able to turn the pedals, say, or power on the computer without some sort of added security

hatsforclowns

Just Joined
Dec 14, 2018
I picked up mine on Tuesday. Ordered on the same-day pre-orders went live, so I ended up paying £2,198 which is £200 less than what you can get it for right now, and £1,000 less than full price.

Happy to answer any questions for those that are on the fence.

Attachments

hatsforclowns

Just Joined
Dec 14, 2018
Bad idea
This isn't quite true. It's a *lot* quicker to disengage the Smart Lock with your phone, but if it's not working/out of battery/stolen then, as Nefarious says, you can punch in an override code using the left multifunction button. I've actually been using this feature more during these inhospitable winter months, as the time saved by unlocking the bike using my phone is immediately negated by the time it takes to put my gloves back on again. But it's nice to have options.

Reactions: Nefarious

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
I picked up mine on Tuesday. Ordered on the same-day pre-orders went live, so I ended up paying £2,198 which is £200 less than what you can get it for right now, and £1,000 less than full price.

Happy to answer any questions for those that are on the fence.
Looks classy. How's it riding so far? I'm not in the market to buy but I'm interested. How does it cope on the hills with so few gears?

hatsforclowns

Just Joined
Dec 14, 2018
Looks classy. How's it riding so far? I'm not in the market to buy but I'm interested. How does it cope on the hills with so few gears?
It's very comfortable - doesn't feel quite as zippy as my previous ride (Ampler Hawk) owing to the upright riding position and added weight (the ES2 is a beefy 19kg), but it's worth it for the additional range, automatic two-speed gears and, of course, the peace of mind guarantee.

As for hills, it's been able to take on reasonable inclines without too much effort but the sheer weight definitely holds it back here. Setting the region to USA in the VanMoof app helps somewhat by allowing the motor to operate at peak capacity, but if you know beforehand that your rides will frequently take you over challenging terrain then I would think twice about purchasing. Luckily, VanMoof offer a 28-day cooling off period during which you can return your bike for a full refund if you're not happy with it.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
This isn't quite true. It's a *lot* quicker to disengage the Smart Lock with your phone, but if it's not working/out of battery/stolen then, as Nefarious says, you can punch in an override code using the left multifunction button. I've actually been using this feature more during these inhospitable winter months, as the time saved by unlocking the bike using my phone is immediately negated by the time it takes to put my gloves back on again. But it's nice to have options.
I'm getting confused.
You told us that you picked yours up last Tuesday, but have been riding it these inhospitable winter months