Very weird motor issue. (Only "kicks in" when the wheel is moved backwards)

Nugget

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2019
Nottingham
Okay so...

was riding home from uni when all of a sudden the bike felt very heavy, straight away I could tell the motor wasn't running. So I pulled the throttle assuming perhaps it was the PA (Had problems in the past with the magnet disk) and it was working but was feeling very jittery and very clunky. So I let go of the throttle and from then on not even the throttle would work.

I had a little fiddle Making sure connectors were all still connected etc. nothing obvious jumping out so then I pop it upside and again nothing no power. However I was pulling back the throttle and sort of manouvering the wheel and sort of tilting it and suddenly it kicked in it was werring away fine, untill I let go and again nothing PA did nothing and throttle. Long story short after more fiddling and more sudden works and stops I figured out what was the very general reason.

(Bike Upside down)
Basically either turning the pedals or pulling the throttle from "Stand still" nothing would work or even manually turning the tyre untill I manually turned the tyre the wrong way and suddenly the motor kicked in and turned the correct way, It was only by a few degrees maybe even 1 or 2 but to active the motor I had to have the front wheel still, pull the throttle or manually turn the pedal and then manually slightly turn the front tyre in the wrong direction and the motor would start working.

this next bit might get more complicated if it's not already. so while the motor is currently in motion again I can let go of the throttle the wheel will move freely and I can then active the wheel again (Using pedal or throttle) while the wheel is moving. however when the wheel comes to a stop again I then have to start the process again, hold throttle turn wheel back slightly and the wheel would move forward.

Now I thought well I'm going out in a bit so I'll give it a go normally (Not upside down). So I did, held throttle, pushed my self back slightly and the motor pushed the bike forward again, However the bike was fairly noisy this time and again like before felt very clunky and jittery, and a lot less power than when everything was fine.

And this is the position I am in now, I'm very confident in saying it's definitely the motor but I don't know exactly what is wrong with it. I really don't want o spend £130 on a new wheel and motor and my local bike shops don't touch electric bikes that arent't the same makes that they sell? Any ideas on what the techincal issue is or a possible solution would be extremely helpful. I live in Nottingham UK and the bike is a Cyclotricity Revolver.

P.S Attached some photos but they probably won't help with anything, just point of refernce.

Attachments

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Okay so...

was riding home from uni when all of a sudden the bike felt very heavy, straight away I could tell the motor wasn't running. So I pulled the throttle assuming perhaps it was the PA (Had problems in the past with the magnet disk) and it was working but was feeling very jittery and very clunky. So I let go of the throttle and from then on not even the throttle would work.

I had a little fiddle Making sure connectors were all still connected etc. nothing obvious jumping out so then I pop it upside and again nothing no power. However I was pulling back the throttle and sort of manouvering the wheel and sort of tilting it and suddenly it kicked in it was werring away fine, untill I let go and again nothing PA did nothing and throttle. Long story short after more fiddling and more sudden works and stops I figured out what was the very general reason.

(Bike Upside down)
Basically either turning the pedals or pulling the throttle from "Stand still" nothing would work or even manually turning the tyre untill I manually turned the tyre the wrong way and suddenly the motor kicked in and turned the correct way, It was only by a few degrees maybe even 1 or 2 but to active the motor I had to have the front wheel still, pull the throttle or manually turn the pedal and then manually slightly turn the front tyre in the wrong direction and the motor would start working.

this next bit might get more complicated if it's not already. so while the motor is currently in motion again I can let go of the throttle the wheel will move freely and I can then active the wheel again (Using pedal or throttle) while the wheel is moving. however when the wheel comes to a stop again I then have to start the process again, hold throttle turn wheel back slightly and the wheel would move forward.

Now I thought well I'm going out in a bit so I'll give it a go normally (Not upside down). So I did, held throttle, pushed my self back slightly and the motor pushed the bike forward again, However the bike was fairly noisy this time and again like before felt very clunky and jittery, and a lot less power than when everything was fine.

And this is the position I am in now, I'm very confident in saying it's definitely the motor but I don't know exactly what is wrong with it. I really don't want o spend £130 on a new wheel and motor and my local bike shops don't touch electric bikes that arent't the same makes that they sell? Any ideas on what the techincal issue is or a possible solution would be extremely helpful. I live in Nottingham UK and the bike is a Cyclotricity Revolver.

P.S Attached some photos but they probably won't help with anything, just point of refernce.
Do you want to fix it yourself? Are you DIY standard or better on electrics? If yes to both, may I suggest that you purchase an e-bike tester. I hasten to add that I have never myself bought one, as I can test most things adequately with a multi meter and a 'Scope.
Here is one:-
At worst, you may need to change a connector or two, to suit your bike.
There are some good videos on YouTube showing how it is used. For example:-
I hope this is hat you were hoping for.
regards
Andy

Nugget

Oct 30, 2019
Nottingham
Do you want to fix it yourself? Are you DIY standard or better on electrics? If yes to both, may I suggest that you purchase an e-bike tester. I hasten to add that I have never myself bought one, as I can test most things adequately with a multi meter and a 'Scope.
Here is one:-
At worst, you may need to change a connector or two, to suit your bike.
There are some good videos on YouTube showing how it is used. For example:-
I hope this is hat you were hoping for.
regards
Andy

Thank you very much for the reply it's certainly given me an insight as to what is detected and should be working inside the motor, not sure the tester boxes support my kind of connecter (Circular with a few prons, maybe 5 ish, inside) thank you very much for the sources though. :)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Check the motor hall sensor wires. I had a similar mysterious fault with harsh running, turned out to be one Hall wire at the multi plug near the controller had snapped where it went into the tiny metal connector in the plug.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thank you very much for the reply it's certainly given me an insight as to what is detected and should be working inside the motor, not sure the tester boxes support my kind of connecter (Circular with a few prons, maybe 5 ish, inside) thank you very much for the sources though. :)
Best of luck, though you may have to find the correct plug/socket, or use clips...
Those units are under 10 UK Pounds on ebay! Cheap!
regards
Andy

Reactions: Nugget

Nugget

Oct 30, 2019
Nottingham
Check the motor hall sensor wires. I had a similar mysterious fault with harsh running, turned out to be one Hall wire at the multi plug near the controller had snapped where it went into the tiny metal connector in the plug.
Will Check it out thanks for the suggestion, Very much appreciated :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you have the 9-pin connector near the motor, make sure that it's pushed in all the way to the marked line.

If not that, it's a hall sensor problem, which could be a connection issue, an actual faulty sensor in the motor or damaged motor cable.

Nugget

Oct 30, 2019
Nottingham
If you have the 9-pin connector near the motor, make sure that it's pushed in all the way to the marked line.

If not that, it's a hall sensor problem, which could be a connection issue, an actual faulty sensor in the motor or damaged motor cable.
Very sure it's not the connector as I've unplugged it and plugged it back in many times and still exact same issue. Think I will ask some local places if they will look inside a motor and if not then I might as well have a look inside myself before buying a new motor only thing I could do is make it worse which doesn't much matter too much if i'm gonna have to buy a new wheel motor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the controller has the separate 6 block hall connector and you have multi meter you can check if the motor halls are damaged without opening the hub, all it takes is 10 - 15mins of your time, the use of a multi meter and maybe a second pair of hands to slowly turn the wheel.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Very sure it's not the connector as I've unplugged it and plugged it back in many times and still exact same issue. Think I will ask some local places if they will look inside a motor and if not then I might as well have a look inside myself before buying a new motor only thing I could do is make it worse which doesn't much matter too much if i'm gonna have to buy a new wheel motor.
all the way to the marked line?

Nugget

Oct 30, 2019
Nottingham
If the controller has the separate 6 block hall connector and you have multi meter you can check if the motor halls are damaged without opening the hub, all it takes is 10 - 15mins of your time, the use of a multi meter and maybe a second pair of hands to slow turn the wheel.
Living as a student so don't have my own atm so will pop out tomorrow and buy one. Suppose I needed one for myself instead of using my dad's any now i'm living alone lol. Will check the connector and get on it thank you very much. :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH