Victoria Hockenheim need help

teiwaz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2018
Hi. Last year I bought victoria pedelec as in title but it was without battery. As it's a standard 26v panasonic mid drive I connected 26v panasonic battery and all i saw was a big spark and no responce from display nor motor. So I sent back that engine to seller as faulty. Now almost 6 months later he tryies to imply that I connected wrong battery and charge me for repairs. I had a contact from the man who repairs that engine and he sent me attached foto. I checked my other bikes and it seems that black and red cables are mixed up. And so there is the thing i need help with: does someone own the same victoria model and sent me a photo how red and black cable should be connected? Or maybe someone who worked with said bike can confirm that it works with standard panasonic 26v bat? I will appreciate any help as I will probably need to court prove that my battery is the correct one to that bike and it was the sellers fault since cables were mixed inside the frame.

Attachments

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi. Last year I bought victoria pedelec as in title but it was without battery. As it's a standard 26v panasonic mid drive I connected 26v panasonic battery and all i saw was a big spark and no responce from display nor motor. So I sent back that engine to seller as faulty. Now almost 6 months later he tryies to imply that I connected wrong battery and charge me for repairs. I had a contact from the man who repairs that engine and he sent me attached foto. I checked my other bikes and it seems that black and red cables are mixed up. And so there is the thing i need help with: does someone own the same victoria model and sent me a photo how red and black cable should be connected? Or maybe someone who worked with said bike can confirm that it works with standard panasonic 26v bat? I will appreciate any help as I will probably need to court prove that my battery is the correct one to that bike and it was the sellers fault since cables were mixed inside the frame.
I have heard of similar problems on Chinese manufactured e-bikes, as apparently,the colour of the wires is largely unimportant to them....sadly for you and others.....
In light of what you have been told, have you traced the wires back to see where thy are connected, just in case?
Was the unit manufactured for Bosch in the Far East?
Best wishes
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you saw big sparks then the polarity was wrong when connecting the battery.
With any new battery (esp non oem ones) you can't simply rely on polarity is in correct order, you have to physically check & test polarity is correct before connecting.
It is up to the end user to ensure they connect battery safely, I can't see you getting any redress at all as it is your mistake for not checking. User has to take responsibility and insure product is correct, might be different situation if dealer supplied and bike unaltered.

Last edited:

teiwaz

Aug 2, 2018
It's a standard panasonic 26v unit (NUA 030S) black is "-" and red is "+" as marked in photo. It's japanese not chinese engine.

teiwaz

Aug 2, 2018
Yes polarity was wrong as shown in photo and that's what i'm trying to prove. Red and Black cables should be interchanged. I just need a confirmation from someone that owns same bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In #1 the JPG clearly shows polarity is incorrect, so before connecting the wiring on the bike needed reversing to match the battery pin out.
The error/mistake is still yours IMHO.

teiwaz

Aug 2, 2018
As i said the engine was mounted on the bike and selled informed me thet everything is in working order I did not see the cables as they were inside the bike frame, only battery connectors sticking out. All i did was connecting the batery the same way i do with my 2 other bikes with same engines. It wasn't some chinese set you need to put yourself together.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You are assuming which is dangerous when lithium is involved, you need to check and double check with any unknown bike or purchase. Simply taking someone's word you have to take all with a pinch of salt. At the end of the day no matter what you say the mistake is yours.

teiwaz

Aug 2, 2018
You are assuming which is dangerous when lithium is involved, you need to check and double check with any unknown bike or purchase. Simply taking someone's word you have to take all with a pinch of salt. At the end of the day no matter what you say the mistake is yours.
Ok mate and how i supposed to do that? Have you ever saw that particular engine? There are no markings which cable is which on the engine. There is no driver it's integrated in the engine. You can not disasemble engine itself because you woid waranty. And even if you disasemble the engine you wold have to know electronics realy well to figure it out, and I'm not an electronics engeneer. Lets compare it to cordless drill makita,dewalt,hilti you name it. You buy one without batery because you got one to that particular model you bought. What do you do? Put a battery and expect the drill to work or disassemble everything to check polarity of the cables?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I checked my other bikes and it seems that black and red cables are mixed up.
Yes, the cables in your photo have been reversed by someone, causing the problem if that's how they are on the bike.

Your Victoria e-bike was made by Derby Cycle gmbh in Germany and it's essentially the same as the original Kalkhoff, Technium, Raleigh gmbh and other brand names owned by Derby Cycles, that all used that Panasonic motor unit and all wired the same way.

vfr400 gave you the link to my Panasonic support site details for the connections at the foot of the page, here's the link again:

http://www.flecc.co.uk/p/li_battery.html#bookmark9

N.B. The photo on my web site is the reverse view of your above photo, just reverse the numbers on your photo to compare, number 5 at the left etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: teiwaz