Views on the elife swift

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Hi folks, one of these bikes has popped up for sale close to me at what could be a good price (unused unwanted Christmas present)
I’ve never heard of them before and I‘ve not found any more information than the manufacturers basic specs, I wasn’t looking to buy this type of bike but it wouldn’t hurt to know a little more about it.

794AF7C6-7CFA-459E-83F8-CE494DD28674.jpeg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are a cheapish budget bike using generic China stuff, though a made in India bike, typically the brand Elife bike is Ideal World tv stuff so might be the same brand may not be. Easy to mend if it goes wrong battery capacity probably not to much but should be good for 30 miles.
Not to bad a looking ebike with nice integrated battery for a no fuss look.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Elife have been selling through the TV for at least 5 years. It looks quite nice apart from the rather small battery. All the components are cheap but robust.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
apart from the rather small battery
Would the controller accept a generic second battery or even a homemade lipo pack, I successfully used some RC lipo’s as a reserve pack on my first ebike (Kalkhoff) back in 2012 ish but my current bike won’t accept anything other than a bosh battery.
im told the bike has not been ridden and it just maybe be brought for less than £400 ?

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Would the controller accept a generic second battery or even a homemade lipo pack, I successfully used some RC lipo’s as a reserve pack on my first ebike (Kalkhoff) back in 2012 ish.
im told the bike has not been ridden and it just maybe be brought for less than £400 ?
Probably would, but I've never looked inside one. You can probably buy a bigger version of the battery from Aliexpress.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No reason why a generic battery won't work no CANbus or sophisticated handshaking used. One of there popular bikes sold is the small folding shopper style bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes 252wh battery approx 25 miles in low assist, still nothing wrong with it for a local town/erand bike or short 20 miles rides. Horses for courses depends on the actual intended use so no use poo-pooing a 7ah battery just for the sake of it.

On my current town/commute bike the 36v 14.5ah 6.5 year old battery is going to be replaced with a newly finished home made bottle battery 12s 2p of genuine HG2's. 264wh & plenty good for the usage I need it for. It will knock some 2kg of weight off.

Last edited:
Reactions: richtea99
D

Deleted member 33385

Yes 252wh battery max 25 miles in low assist, still nothing wrong with it for a local town/erand bike or short 20 miles rides

Do you really think that a 7aH battery would give you a 20 mile range? (The specs state 35 miles) I doubt if it'd supply any useful level of assistance if it did, but as you say, horses for courses... though for this horse (me) requires serious assistance! For me and anyone unfit, 7aH and a very low level of pedal assist would make any cycling of 20 miles unviable, if my Bafang kit with 19.2aH is anything to go by - it's pretty much shagged out for use on hills after 43 miles at max pedal assist... which for my age and low level of fitness, is pooped. But where I live is quite hilly - courses, as you say... on the flat I'm sure I'd get something like 60 or 70 miles with a much lower level of pedal assist with the Bafang.

Well done knocking 2kg off!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have a 24v 8.7ah battery so 208.8wh, I can manage 25miles range on it.

D

Deleted member 33385

I have a 24v 8.7ah battery so 208.8wh, I can manage 25miles range on it.

You must be a much fitter man than me! I'd never get that sort of range with that battery capacity. That's too much course for this horse!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The range using max assist will be low but for a reasonably fit person with no major health issues 7ah will be fine for 25 miles on low assist. I'm at the opposite scale of fitness to you then as I can ride around on PAS 1 at 18mph and only use higher PAS for hills.

For my longer rides I use 20.3 & 14.5ah batteries for a 160km or so ride, having plenty in reserve I can get home with a min of 25 -35% remaining in each battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can't simply ridicule smaller battery capacities on your own usage, other riders have different fitness levels so can get away with low PAS use and extended range.
An average fit rider should be able to get 10-12 wh per mile out of a battery with good input, anotherkiwi who no longer par takes in the forum use to get less then 8wh per mile.

The elife bike in the main thread is what I would say it typical for a town/errand type bike or a pootle out in the countryside locally for 20 odd miles. I don't see it as a bike someone will want to charge about on, more of a sedate amble along with some assistance. One just can't judge a book by it's cover or in this case it's battery.

At the asking price of about £400 for used near new bike it would make a good buy for someone.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Gringo
D

Deleted member 33385

For my longer rides I use 20.3 & 14.5ah batteries for a 160km or so ride

HOLY SH*T! Ebikes are somewhat wasted on you. Who knows? Now that I'm back on my wheels, maybe my plan to use progressively less pedal assist as I get fitter, will work, gaining much greater range (in all areas of life) eventually. Fitness improves everything, of course.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Unfortunately I need e- assistance as my asthma is partly induced by exertion , I tried a slightly less 120km route on a drop bar push bike about 18 - 24 months and I was struggling some what, so the last time I shall be riding without assistance. With the low PAS I am quite comfortable riding riding and can give the bike some beans when I need to without struggling so much.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Many on here ridiculed the 6.5 ah battery on my Gtech Escent but it was sufficient for my needs 20-25 miles nearly all in Eco mode Succumbed to fashion and now have the Faro with a huge 8ah which can easily achieve 25-30 miles in my allotted 1 and half hours.Any longer and I get the “where you at” phone call from the missus

D

Deleted member 33385

Yes, but does the 35 mile range claim from a 7aH battery sound even remotely likely?

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
The Faro being lightweight can and has achieved 30 miles with over 1000 meters of elevation With a lot of hard work and mode 1 and 2 used primarily returns with never less than 2 bars left on display (terrified to completely deplete battery as believe this to be detrimental to the longevity) So yes achievable on flattish terrain and probably completely depleting the battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes, but does the 35 mile range claim from a 7aH battery sound even remotely likely?
One suspects the range claim is true as a likely very fit young man or woman has test ridden the bike in flat benign conditions and achieved the claimed mileage, so they aren't telling porkies. Just that your average rider may never get that close.

For someone who only rides errands or locally 20 miles a day is plenty so no need to carry a heavy 3 - 4 kg battery when a light 1 - 1.5kg battery will do the same job.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
A young fit seasoned cyclist claims to achieve 35-40 miles on the Gtech city bike using only max assist. Admittedly flat terrain and very few stop starts, he reports that 80-90% he is above the assist speed and the few times he falls below assist ie stops and mild gradients he can quickly power past assist again and average his overall ride speed at approximately 18-19 mph. O to be young and fit .