vintage electric bicycle.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Here is my home built vintage electric bicycle using a xiongda 36v 250w motor and McAllister 36v 4ah batteries.The frame build started when I poped in to Valley scooters in Bolton ( my local ebike shop ).I wanted to see if he had any used battery boxes,I might be able to use for a battery pack I was planing on making.He had one and would take no money for it.I showed him my first homebuild a mountain bike with a frame bag 2 lawn mower batteries and a solar tracker motor that I got off eBay.He said he used to sell them and could not believe the motor was still going.He then said so you like projects you can have this.I was now the proud owner of a Monanna e power girls shoper bike with no batteries and a dead controller.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I had a old mountain bike frame that the rear end was badly bent.So I chopped them both up.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Bit more welding and I had a frame with a
wide back end.perfect for the xiongda.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
The Montana had a wide crank to clear the battery box.It only had a single chain wheel on the front so I did this to my triple chain wheel.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
1192 miles on the clock now.2 punctures on the rear.I used to get more on a normal bicycle,so fat franks doing there job.xiongda makes noises and clicks on roll back some times.controller gets hot (Dont worry they all do that sir).Might just fill the rear hub with oil.I will have authentic oil stains on the floor then.

Last edited:

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Great build, love those forks!

Thanks for sharing.
Got them off eBay from India.£27.vintage bike bicycle front yoke springer strut truss rod pair.They have little retaining caps on the bottom of the spring but not the top.I used 15 mm copper end caps that I had.going to get some a bit smaller.I had to put an extra spacer ( I have used a big nut I will replace that with some tube when I find some) under the nuts at the top.These are made for 28" wheeled bikes.The threads on the top are very poor quality.The best solution would be to cut the thread off and redo it,I wouldn't need the spacer then.

Reactions: robdon

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Got them off eBay from India.£27.vintage bike bicycle front yoke springer strut truss rod pair.They have little retaining caps on the bottom of the spring but not the top.I used 15 mm copper end caps that I had.going to get some a bit smaller.I had to put an extra spacer ( I have used a big nut I will replace that with some tube when I find some) under the nuts at the top.These are made for 28" wheeled bikes.The threads on the top are very poor quality.The best solution would be to cut the thread off and redo it,I wouldn't need the spacer then.
Forgot to say.there is no need for the spacer I have fitted.I need them because I have my gear change levers on the handle bar steam.And the bracket for the forks can't go any higher.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
You certainly put some work into it. All the sit up and beg bikes in India have those fork bracers/springs that help with heavy loads on bad roads. How does it perform?

Reactions: craiggor