Help! Volt pulse controller and throttle change help needed

judesjoinery

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2022
Hi , I’m new to this and needing some help changing the controller and throttle on my volt pulse
So I’ve bought an after market chinese throttle and controller off eBay
My previous cycle computer was smashed so thought I’d now use the volt up betteshangar cycle park with my boy every Sunday with the addition of a twist throttle and a bit more power from the new controller
Anyway I’ve attempted to change the controller today , ok I’ve used electrical connector blocks as a temporary measure just to see if I can get it running before sitting fiddling about with tiny connectors
So have the 3 motor wires yellow, green , blue and 6pin hall connector connected colour to colour, 5 wire throttle connector clip connected to 5 wire connector
Yellow and black connector for the lights
White and black 2 connectors for the brakes
Red and black battery power wires connected
Throttle and lcd screen light up so have power
my problem being I have 2 sets of 3 wire connectors spare blue/black/red (get help sensor) and grey/black/red (adjustable linear brake) according to the instructions

I’ll attach pics bare with me

so the other problem is the pas cable on my volt is black /white/red
I’ve connected these to the wires above separately
Nothing
Thought the get help sensor wire would of been the pas obviously not
Also from my panosonic battery I have the red and black power wires also I have thin black and white wires I don’t know what these go to

now basically I’m stuck and need help from someone who may have come across these problems before and a way to get round it

also 1 last thing on the controller instructions I have a red/white/black connector not supplied with the controller but advertised in the instructions this would have been for the speed control maybe this was for the pas ‍♂♂
Any help would greatly be appreciated and stop me frying my brain
As the volt had pas and a throttle on the original Spintech c2 controller I thought a twist throttle would be easy
Have I bought the wrong throttle or controller ??
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help and sorry to be a pain in the rear

Attachments

grseymour6477

May 9, 2022
Hi Judesjoinery,

Did you manage to sort this. I have recently swapped out the original Volt Controller and Display on my 2020 Pulse for KT variants, and after many days head scratching have finally sorted settings for PAS & Throttle, so if still a problem I may be able to help.

Last edited:

judesjoinery

May 25, 2022
Hi Judesjoinery,

Did you manage to sort this. I have recently swapped out the original Volt Controller and Display on my 2020 Pulse for KT variants, and after many days head scratching have finally sorted settings for PAS & Throttle, so if still a problem I may be able to help.
Hi thanks for reply . No I’ve still not sorted , so any info would be greatly appreciated Thankyou

judesjoinery

May 25, 2022
Hi Judesjoinery,

Hi, thanks for reply . No I’ve still not sorted , so any info would be greatly appreciated Thankyou

grseymour6477

May 9, 2022
Very happy to try and help...may need to ask questions as we go. Q1: Can see the make and model of controller, but what is make and model of display? Q2: Does display have optional settings to change?

Cheers

judesjoinery

May 25, 2022
Very happy to try and help...may need to ask questions as we go. Q1: Can see the make and model of controller, but what is make and model of display? Q2: Does display have optional settings to change?

Cheers
Cheers thank you for your time with this I really appreciate it
The controller is brainpower and the display is tonwind or T-onwind it came as a package with the controller from eBay I’ve attached the link for the package on eBay. As far as I can see when the controller is on it just lets me switch through 3 gears 1-3 I don’t think it has any settings which I can find on it but there is an error triangle on the display

grseymour6477

May 9, 2022
Hmmm. Error Code is 006, but I think we can ignore that for now. Q3: What cables/connectors do you have coming out of your Display...difficult to determine from your earlier pics. Q4: Did you get any instructions with your Display? Q5: Are there any buttons at all on the Display - which may be used to access settings?

Cheers

Graham

judesjoinery

May 25, 2022
Hmmm. Error Code is 006, but I think we can ignore that for now. Q3: What cables/connectors do you have coming out of your Display...difficult to determine from your earlier pics. Q4: Did you get any instructions with your Display? Q5: Are there any buttons at all on the Display - which may be used to access settings?

Cheers

Graham
Morning
So the connector coming from display is a 5 pin plug which connects to the controller as comes as a set so I’d correct for controller and display
I have a copy of instructions but very basic nothing to show settings just wiring set up
Also no button the throttle display is very basic 1 button hold down to turn on , once on press same button just takes you through the gear settings 1 to 3 I’ll attach pictures yellow ring is the throttle display plug

Attachments

judesjoinery

May 25, 2022
Morning
So the connector coming from display is a 5 pin plug which connects to the controller as comes as a set so I’d correct for controller and display
I have a copy of instructions but very basic nothing to show settings just wiring set up
Also no button the throttle display is very basic 1 button hold down to turn on , once on press same button just takes you through the gear settings 1 to 3 I’ll attach pictures yellow ring is the throttle display plug
First photo wasn’t that good sorry

Attachments

grseymour6477

May 9, 2022
Hi,

I've spent time looking at your issue and I can understand your frustration. Firstly, I agree with you that you have received a controller with a varied spec to that which you ordered; you correctly identify Get Help and linear electric brake (ABS) connectors as 'surplus' and I noticed the instructions indicated the white Hall wire in the connector to the motor had an 'empty' socket, whereas it is clear from your pics that the white (which I believe is a speed sensor wire) is there - this is good, I believe.

Now to my thoughts:

My recent research indicates that where the display incorporates a 'twist throttle' the PAS connector from the controller appears to incorporate a 'booster sensor signal' wire.....looking at your instructions the blue wire within the Get Help Sensor connector is described as Booster Sensor Signal wire. I know you mentioned early in your first post that you tried connecting these up, but I think it's worth another try.

I would suggest; with the Controller fully connected to the display and battery, using a multimeter on the 3 wires on the Get Help connector coming out of the Controller in turn, determine the voltage. My thoughts would be Red = +ve, Black = -ve, Blue = Signal.....but it's worth checking. If this is the case you should expect slightly less than 5v from Red/Black but slightly higher than that from Blue/Black (for some reason, signal is higher than live).

If this determines that the Get Help connector appears to be 'PAS', then connect +ve on Controller to Red on your PAS sensor, -ve on your Controller to Black on your PAS sensor and Signal on your Controller to White on your PAS sensor. I hope this makes sense.

Other than this, I can only suggest contacting the vendor of the kit to explain variances.

Hope this helps a little. Please let me know.

Graham

judesjoinery

May 25, 2022
Hi,

I've spent time looking at your issue and I can understand your frustration. Firstly, I agree with you that you have received a controller with a varied spec to that which you ordered; you correctly identify Get Help and linear electric brake (ABS) connectors as 'surplus' and I noticed the instructions indicated the white Hall wire in the connector to the motor had an 'empty' socket, whereas it is clear from your pics that the white (which I believe is a speed sensor wire) is there - this is good, I believe.

Now to my thoughts:

My recent research indicates that where the display incorporates a 'twist throttle' the PAS connector from the controller appears to incorporate a 'booster sensor signal' wire.....looking at your instructions the blue wire within the Get Help Sensor connector is described as Booster Sensor Signal wire. I know you mentioned early in your first post that you tried connecting these up, but I think it's worth another try.

I would suggest; with the Controller fully connected to the display and battery, using a multimeter on the 3 wires on the Get Help connector coming out of the Controller in turn, determine the voltage. My thoughts would be Red = +ve, Black = -ve, Blue = Signal.....but it's worth checking. If this is the case you should expect slightly less than 5v from Red/Black but slightly higher than that from Blue/Black (for some reason, signal is higher than live).

If this determines that the Get Help connector appears to be 'PAS', then connect +ve on Controller to Red on your PAS sensor, -ve on your Controller to Black on your PAS sensor and Signal on your Controller to White on your PAS sensor. I hope this makes sense.

Other than this, I can only suggest contacting the vendor of the kit to explain variances.

Hope this helps a little. Please let me know.

Graham
Ok great thanks I understand what your saying I’ll have another crack at it 1 evening this week and test with a multimeter
Can I ask though if you’ve recently changed the controller on a volt pulse what are the 2 extra white wires from the Panasonic battery ? Red and black +&- but what are the white wires for?
Thanks though for your time and reply’s I really appreciate it ;)

grseymour6477

May 9, 2022
No prob - glad to offer a little hope at least. Sorry, should have said....I didn't have two extra (black & white) wires from my battery. I suspect they might have been for some sort of lock (or anti-theft) connection on your Volt bike? Would be worth putting a multimeter across them too, just to see what they're delivering.

Graham

grseymour6477

May 9, 2022
....or perhaps the b&w wires were for a battery isolation switch. My pulse has an external switch on the battery, but maybe yours was an earlier variant?

judesjoinery

May 25, 2022
....or perhaps the b&w wires were for a battery isolation switch. My pulse has an external switch on the battery, but maybe yours was an earlier variant?
No mines got the external switch on the top of battery so you maybe right it might be a lock /anti theft as the original control had the key fob to open the display maybe this is what’s stopping the motor kicking in
Have a great night thanks for your help

judesjoinery

May 25, 2022
Sounds promising - cheers for now.
Hi again
Sorry it’s been months now I’ve only just back around to looking at bike again
Would you mind if I picked your brains again please
I have a few questions as was grateful for your input previously

did what you said ran a multimeter across everything- nothing ….
the battery is marked at 36v but giving out 44v fully charged
The black and white wires from the battery I can’t think are doing anything as I’m getting power from the battery to the controller
The only voltage coming out the controller is going to the throttle to power on lcd and getting nothing back from the throttle
I’ve put the multimeter across all connections and nothing
Nothing from the hall wires or any other connection
No volts at all

my theory is obviously the controller is 36v it obviously works as sending power to the throttle but not getting anything back
So I’m thinking it’s the throttle or should I try a 42v controller and throttle ? But the previous volt controller was 36v so the 36v I have should be ok

basically I’m looking at it again and completely stuck
Lol
Thanks for your help last time I do appreciate it

grseymour6477

May 9, 2022
Hmmmm! The more I think about it, I wonder if the 'error message' on your display might be the issue. I know you don't have instructions for the LCD/throttle but I suspect the 'error' shown might be the ebrake. Perhaps the controller thinks the ebrake is applied - it will not therefore boot up the motor.

Worth a try - check that the ebrakes are working correctly and/or disconnect the Controller's ebrake connections and see what happens.

Good luck!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You've mentioned lots and shown lots. The one thing missing is the on/off switch for the controller.

judesjoinery

May 25, 2022
Hmmmm! The more I think about it, I wonder if the 'error message' on your display might be the issue. I know you don't have instructions for the LCD/throttle but I suspect the 'error' shown might be the ebrake. Perhaps the controller thinks the ebrake is applied - it will not therefore boot up the motor.

Worth a try - check that the ebrakes are working correctly and/or disconnect the Controller's ebrake connections and see what happens.

Good luck!
Cheers thankyou will give it a try this week