Volt Pulse X no power help

Sussexlad

Pedelecer
May 15, 2021
Good evening
I Have purchased a second hand bolt Pulse X bike at the cost of £350
The seller was upfront and explained that it’s been serviced last year and was working fine prior to that but had been in a garage for a year (seemed a genuine guy I can usually tell )
When it was taken out it’s no longer working
the Battery appears to be fine it’s showing power green lights etc
However the lcd screen will not power up
What’s the best way to start trouble shooting this ?
or shall I just take it to a shop for them to look at
I do like to repair things myself but perhaps this is a little too much
Any suggestions be great
Many thanks 42523

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the screen doesn't switch on always start at the battery as it means power isn't getting through. Use a meter and check properly the voltage at the discharge pins, once you know that you have a starting point and may give a reason why no power is getting thru.
It is possible the battery has a sleep mode so try long pressing the switch for up to 30 seconds to see if it wakes up.

Last edited:

Sussexlad

Pedelecer
May 15, 2021
42526Looks like the battery is dead been on charge all night but enough power to light up the leds
So next question I suppose are third party battery’s any good ? Can these be serviced or they get disposed of? I’ve seen the prices start at £300 is this normal or so cheaper ones exist obviously you get what you pay for so don’t mind paying that unless a battery service exists

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes dead, if it read only about 18- 20 odd volts we would have said check the battery fuse but that looks terminal.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They can be re -celled but as it only needs a generic battery with only two wires you can use any battery of the same voltage of any capacity ah/wh, just depends on how far you want to go each ride.

Show us pic of the battery but afaik it is a behind the seat type so look for any Silverfish battery on ebay or wherever you look, each battery comes with a new fitting kit base, slide/lock etc. All one really has to do is to make sure battery polarity and pin outs are the same when fitting.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There's still reason for hope. Measure the battery voltage on the charge socket, not the output terminals. If it's a 5.5mm jack charge socket, put your red probe on the main positive output terminal and the black on the blade inside the charge jack socket being very careful not to short the blade to the pin.

On an ebike battery, both the charge and main positives are common (joined). Both the main and charge negative are switched, and most often separately.

The voltage you showed on the meter is not the battery voltage. It's meaningless, other than showing that the BMS has switched off the output. What you see on the meter only depends on the meter's impedence.

Does the battery have a wake-up procedure (normally very long press of the on button)? did you try it?

Sussexlad

Pedelecer
May 15, 2021
There's still reason for hope. Measure the battery voltage on the charge socket, not the output terminals. If it's a 5.5mm jack charge socket, put your red probe on the main positive output terminal and the black on the blade inside the charge jack socket being very careful not to short the blade to the pin.

On an ebike battery, both the charge and main positives are common (joined). Both the main and charge negative are switched, and most often separately.

The voltage you showed on the meter is not the battery voltage. It's meaningless, other than showing that the BMS has switched off the output. What you see on the meter only depends on the meter's impedence.

Does the battery have a wake-up procedure (normally very long press of the on button)? did you try it?
Thanks I’ll give that a try when I’m back home appreciate everyone’s advice

Sussexlad

Pedelecer
May 15, 2021
Thanks I’ll give that a try when I’m back home appreciate everyone’s advice
Eeeeek I did try to test the battery with a probe but i shorted the battery got a large spark
Hope it’s not damaged further now
As for a sleep mode I tried the long press did it make a difference I’ll open up the battery and get a photo of it

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
I have a four year old volt pulse. I have never seen a red light on the battery so am wondering if that signifies anything.

Sussexlad

Pedelecer
May 15, 2021
I have a four year old volt pulse. I have never seen a red light on the battery so am wondering if that signifies anything.
Thanks for that info as I’ve never owned a working one I assumed this red light was normal thanks gives me something to research

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks for that info as I’ve never owned a working one I assumed this red light was normal thanks gives me something to research
Is it fixed now or not? if not, pull the big white multipin connector, then plug it back in again - see if that fixes it.

Sussexlad

Pedelecer
May 15, 2021
Is it fixed now or not? If not, the ptoblem is between that connector and the battery terminals - probably a fuse.
Not fixed no it’s still showing no power to the lcd screen
My problem is that I’m not really sure what’s at fault perhaps the lcd is dead and the battery is fine I’m not really sure how to test maybe it needs a shop to trouble shoot only one visible fuse I can see

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Not fixed no it’s still showing no power to the lcd screen
My problem is that I’m not really sure what’s at fault perhaps the lcd is dead and the battery is fine I’m not really sure how to test maybe it needs a shop to trouble shoot only one visible fuse I can see
You were too quick. I changed what I wrote when i realised that that's not the output connector..

First you have to get the voltage on the battery terminals. Before, you had 0.2v. What do you have now?

Sussexlad

Pedelecer
May 15, 2021
You were too quick. I changed what I wrote when i realised that that's not the output connector..

First you have to get the voltage on the battery terminals. Before, you had 0.2v. What do you have now?
I’m a little confused myself however I took the top off the battery as pictured above and went direct from where the wires would go on charge which showed 39V
I assume that’s what you mean ?