Sportsman

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2018
Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Nice looking bike. Spec seems Ok, maybe a tad expensive but then it's complete with lights, mudguards and rack, ready to go. Says battery is Panasonic so should be OK, but it doesn't say which cells, maybe worth asking as there are those on here that can tell you how they will perform under load. Personally I don't like the look of the battery behind the seat post, but that;s me.
I tried a Volt about 4 years ago, seemed like a well put together machine, it was just more than I wanted to pay. I think it will be perfectly capable of the riding you want to do.

Reactions: Sportsman

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Wow, that's a different animal. Crank set is 52/42, that's a big set, sort of thing roadies use. And with a 25;12 on the rear that's a speed machine. You'd be pushing beyond assistance to get a decent cadence and hill climbing would be 'energetic'. If you're young enough and strong enough go for it. Of course lights, mudguards and rack would be extra's if you want them. A lot of the components seem to be Beneli branded, not sure if this meens they are swappable with more obtainable parts, should they wear out. The semi integrated battery looks great, however it's much smaller than the Volt (375Wh) and may present difficulties in 3-4 years time when it needs replacing. Although recelling is always an option - increasingly so.
Don't know anything about Benelli as a brand really but aren't they road bike makers? I suspect this is their attempt to increase their market share, they're not e bike makers per se.
The electric components are probably fine - I'd get a test ride of both if I were you, get a feel for them.

Reactions: Sportsman

Sportsman

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2018
I think i need to have a good think about it before i jump in plus i am 15st 8lbs and 6ft tall so i need to consider what the drive will be like for me etc , maybe a cube reaction race something down them lines might be better this is a minefield :)

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Just to add to your confusion:confused:, do you already have a bike that you enjoy riding? Have you considered a conversion kit? Some companies, like Woosh can arrange for it to be fitted if you don't feel up to the job yourself.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Looks like an ideal bike to convert with a rear hub motor. A good kit with battery will cost you around £700 or less and if your bike is already fitted with hydraulic brakes, you will have a bike comparable to the Volt you were looking at. You could even upgrade your forks to air and still save yourself £1000.:)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Volt doesn't use 18650 cells but is Li-pol, so mot likely a NCA pouch cell.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
If you are even moderately handy with the spanners you can do it yourself. Most kits are plug and play and there's plenty of help to be had here. You end up with a bike you know much more about than an of the shelf job. Also, in the unlikely circumstance of something going awry, components can easily be replaced.

Dave Y Fenni

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2017
Y Fenni
I have a 2018 Volt Metro LS. The components and build quality is very good. I purchased the extra large battery, as the spec rates its output on a person who is II st flat track and little wind. I am a little bigger than this so my thinking was a little extra mileage than the standard battery. I don't do great distances, but live in South Wales UK, so loads of hills.
Free first service at 6 weeks, 2 year warranty as long as its serviced. I have owned it since Feb!
I have the metro as I can put it in the boot when we take the caravan away.
Would I purchase another Volt, Yes.

Sportsman

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2018
Thanks for all the comments gents its really appreciated , i think i will look to buy a complete bike maybe look at the cube its a but pricey at 2k though but i am going read thru this forum a think it might help

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
My wife bought a Volt Pulse after failing (pedal cycle) to keep up with me on my Volt Infinity.
She is delighted with it as are we both with Volt bikes. As an ex-engineer I can say that the attention to detail is excellent although some will say expensive. As with most things, you get what you pay for IMO.
I am also a similar build to you and find the Infinity perfect but electronic features may not be to everyone's tastes. I just like them a lot for ease of use. The Pulse is less well spec'd but somewhat cheaper and very efficient, doing everything she wants it to do.
Battery life on both bikes is around 35 miles between charges but as we need a lot of help this is more than sufficient.
The Pulse has conventional cable brakes and they aren't as good IMO.
The Pulse has a battery behind the seat post which is a small pain to remove to charge as the seat post has to be removed first.
We use (used :() ours on footpaths and towpaths only, not off road which seems so popular with many here but as pensioners we had no issues with their capabilities.
Complete bikes with lights, mudguards and rack makes them ready for action straight from the box. We were regularly approached with comments as how well they looked compared to cheaper options but again some will say there is a price to pay. (Pulse £1500)
IMO we bought two excellent bikes with no regrets whatsoever.
As a side note I owned a 1999 Honda Accord for 17 years which was superb in every way - apart from popularity. Such a shame.
May I suggest that you at least look at the Volt range which again IMO is very under-rated.

I have no connection with the Volt company.

Dave611204

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2019
Good Morning

I am looking at getting one of these e bikes has anyone purchased one of these ? I will only be doing roads and footpaths , or can anyone recommend something similar its an absolute minefield getting the right one

https://voltbikes.co.uk/pulse-x-hybrid-electric-bike.php

Or one of these any help would be greatly appreciated

https://www.benelliebikes.co.uk/bikedetail.php?slug=eBenelli-E-Misano-2017
I bought the Volt Pulse a few months ago and I do like the bike. However before purchasing a couple of comments. If you don't live near a Volt dealer you will have an annoying, flashing symbol of a spanner on the display which can only be removed by a Volt dealer when it decides on your behalf that the bike should be serviced. I live in a very hilly area and despite buying the larger battery it only does 26miles before going into one light on the battery pack which surprised me somewhat. And finally they have a backlog of after sales queries so if you do have a problem with the bike it will be at least three weeks before they get back to you. Overall though a nice bike.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
My wife has had a Volt Pulse for several years. Sadly in this backwater there is a law preventing its use.
The bike was excellent when it was used and we did many miles without incident.
I have a Volt Infinity which was more expensive but as an ex auto engineer I can say that both these bikes are top quality. Because of age issues and health problems in my case we rarely covered more than 25 miles in any one day but I suspect there would have been at least another 10 available.
Dealer is an annoying "round the houses" distance away but not too bad if a train is used in the event of a problem. We never had any problems (apart from the ban)
There will be many on this forum who will offer different opinions on the Volt make, especially with the highish price but IMO they are both superb bikes and I would recommend the cheaper Pulse to a first timer.
My Infinity is excellent with all the additional features and if I had to buy another ebike for whatever reason I would definitely buy a Volt.
We have seen many other models (breaking the law here) but we are not impressed and as always, you get what you pay for.
(I have no links to the company)