volts Ah watts

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Im selling a old electric bike, and someone has asked if its 250W But I don't really know, I have fitted a single Lithuim battery to it 24V 16Ah from 2 x 12v lead acid ones. but is there a way of knowing the watts

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
If there are no markings or label on the motor, that might be because they were not required by the law at the time it was built.

Anything that had a lead acid battery is likely pretty low powered because range would be so bad if it wasn't. But without labels or markings, no easy way to know the motor power.

Is there anything online if you search for the bike make and model?

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Depends on the bike age, a lot of early bikes were ony 200w rated as that was UK law, though as flecc has said 250w rated bikes weren't questioned as that was the EU mandate.

• Agree

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Depends on the bike age, a lot of early bikes were ony 200w rated as that was UK law, though as flecc has said 250w rated bikes weren't questioned as that was the EU mandate.
Well as you know Nealh its very old like yours you said earlier. a swigbee or something. and you said mine needs to go in a museum PMSL so that's how old it is

BIKE.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Im selling a old electric bike, and someone has asked if its 250W But I don't really know, I have fitted a single Lithuim battery to it 24V 16Ah from 2 x 12v lead acid ones. but is there a way of knowing the watts
Almost all the pedelecs using lead-acid batteries from that era were 200 watt rated, but that doesn't mean much for the performance. Most were high torque to deal with the weight and climbed just as well or better than others 250 watt rated.

For example the Powabykes back then were 200 watt rated but produced a peak of 600 watts and climbed well at a steady 7 mph.

• Informative

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Looks quite similar to a Powabyke, especially the brushed motor. Replace the lead acid batteries with Lithium and they make good e-bikes, especially if you upgrade the motor to a modern brushless one. Plus, as it's pre 2016, you can use a throttle legally and not be dependent on PAS operation.

The Powabyke brushed motors were so huge, around 5 to 6kg and I've seen them over volted to get crazy Watts out of them. They were probably used in other countries for higher powered set ups. However, they are quite noisy and less efficient than a modern, lighter, brushless motor.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and PC2017

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Looks quite similar to a Powabyke, especially the brushed motor. Replace the lead acid batteries with Lithium and they make good e-bikes, especially if you upgrade the motor to a modern brushless one. Plus, as it's pre 2016, you can use a throttle legally and not be dependent on PAS operation.

The Powabyke brushed motors were so huge, around 5 to 6kg and I've seen them over volted to get crazy Watts out of them. They were probably used in other countries for higher powered set ups. However, they are quite noisy and less efficient than a modern, lighter, brushless motor.
Hi I changed the battery from 2 X 12v. SLA. To 1 single 24v 16Ah lithium one ages ago

Reactions: WheezyRider