Voodoo Bizango E shimano steps

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi everyone,

New bike just picked it up from Halfords, cycled home up one very steep and long hill. Will update with pictures and a first impressions. Initial thoughts are positive, but completely different to our 2 hub bikes. As time goes on will put up a comparison but it really surprised me just how different the 3 bikes are.

1) Woosh Rambletta
2) Voodoo Bantu with a swytch kit fitted.
3) Voodoo Bizango E Shimano steps E7000

First thing I noticed is the E7000 is louder than the two hub bikes.

Second main difference is unlike the hub bikes you cannot just spin the pedals and the motor keeps assisting. On the Bizango if you push lightly you do not get much assist. But the harder you push the more assist. Just different not sure if I prefer it or not will find out the more I use it.

No throttle, that’s a no brainier prefer the throttle bikes to give you a rest . Will do a few hundred miles then update.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
THE e7000 is a TS bike, it is dependant on the riders effort.
As we often say to folks if one can't add good effort or have little strength then these bikes aren't going to cut the mustard for you. Wisper do both Cadence and TS with a throttle.

D

Deleted member 33385

If you want to increase the strength of your leg muscles: Slow squats promote the growth of (bulkier) fast twitch, high load muscle, whereas endurance sports like long distance cycling usually promotes (thinner) endurance muscle. It's best to do slow squats after a long cycle, while the muscles are still warm. If you hold the squat, with thighs horizontal, for 60 seconds each time, many times, regularly for a few months - you will grow thumping great sprinter's legs, as opposed to a long distance runner's skinny legs. Ideally you want the appropriate mix of fast twitch and endurance muscle for your cyling needs, which also don't impede the entry of your legs into off-the-peg trousers. Also, never squat beyond thighs being horizontal, because it damages the knees. If you don't require any additional strength - ignore the preceding squat, and squat and hold instructions.

Reactions: overlander

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi guys, thanks for the advice, done my first big run today about 30 miles with more reasonable hills. We took the woosh Rambletta with us for comparison. The Bizango certainly is a better climber but like your saying you need to put the effort in. What I do like is that it feels so much more natural

But on the long straights I was envious of the wife on the Rambletta. But overall surprisingly the two bikes are so different but both get the job done.

Attachments

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
THE e7000 is a TS bike, it is dependant on the riders effort.
As we often say to folks if one can't add good effort or have little strength then these bikes aren't going to cut the mustard for you. Wisper do both Cadence and TS with a throttle.
Thats me done 70 miles on the shimano system and you are right its completely different from a hub drive. Still early days but I prefer the crank (TS) drive as I am still pretty fit from cycling my Ridegeback Panorama. To me it just feels more refined, a more polished product. Amazing how 2 completely different systems both still get the job done but still are just classed as electric bikes. I could see people getting caught out with these differences. Now i have figured out the cadence range for the shimano its certainly a mountain climber in boost mode do not think any hill could defeat it. Looking forward to the summer.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
What I do like is that it feels so much more natural
Are you deliberately trying to flame this thread? Nealh is going to come down on you like a ton of bricks if you carry on perpetuating such an erroneous falsehood. ;)

• :D
Reactions: Nealh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Amazing how 2 completely different systems both still get the job done but still are just classed as electric bikes.
Good comments: but think of the huge difference between non-electric bikes of different styles ... all good and suitable for their intended use, but still just classed as bikes.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Are you deliberately trying to flame this thread? Nealh is going to come down on you like a ton of bricks if you carry on perpetuating such an erroneous falsehood. ;)
Guess he does not like them lol.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Natural bike feel is the bit I always find amusing, how can it be with 500 - 600w of power or more under foot. Pro riders only average approx. 400w over a stage, your average bike rider will likely manage an average of 75 - 100w during a typical ride.

Any bike with an e-drive is anything but a natural ride feel, have ridden TS mid drive and topped 33mph on the flat, something I can't do with push bike so certan;y not a natural feel.

Reactions: mike killay

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Good comments: but think of the huge difference between non-electric bikes of different styles ... all good and suitable for their intended use, but still just classed as bikes.
Natural bike feel is the bit I always find amusing, how can it be with 500 - 600w of power or more under foot. Pro riders only average approx. 400w over a stage, your average bike rider will likely manage an average of 75 - 100w during a typical ride.

Any bike with an e-drive is anything but a natural ride feel, have ridden TS mid drive and topped 33mph on the flat, something I can't do with push bike so certan;y not a natural feel.
yes but your comparing apples to oranges they are never going to be the same or we would not buy them. I am used to touring on my ridgeback panorama fully loaded so used to the weight so can ride the bizango unpowered without noticing too much difference .

By natural I mean the delay between power on and power off is pretty much instant. The power proportional to your input also helps with this but like you say it just gives you bionic legs. But on the hub drive you are 100% aware you are using a motor. It also I guess depends on the power levels, on eco it’s just like someone giving you a shove. But agreed on boost its mental lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

DSC_0078_02.JPG

turbo ;)

Reactions: overlander

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0448_01.JPG
:p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

that is a lap of that loop :)

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

that is a lap of that loop :)

From the other night - tyres were at 20 and 30 psi, else it would have been faster. A fresh charge would have helped. I've since put the 52T chainwheel back on (42T on video), so the next run might be a bit quicker:

Last edited:

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
From the other night - tyres were at 20 and 30 psi, else it would have been faster. A fresh charge would have helped. I've since put the 52T chainwheel back on (42T on video), so the next run might be a bit quicker:

So, what does this have to do with original post?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One is aware no matter what e bike is ridden that assisted power is present, with my hub bikes there is no delay to power kicking in.