Vote for Cycle-Streets !! (Future Friendly award)

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
That is very good, but i really would not follow it blindly. There are 3 possible routes for my commute, two are ok pretty close to the route i take. But the third option they do say its hostile, i would call it suicide. NO ONE cycles on the A80 the average speed is well over 70 mph and being the main route between two cities trucks thunder along it. Honestly you would not last 10 minutes, in fact i reckon the police would be called. So yes good site but do double check the route.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
So yes good site but do double check the route.
Just like satnav maps, there can be mapping errors, portions of the route that are out-of-date, ... so human common sense should always prevail :)

They actually have a disclaimer:

"If you decide to follow the suggested journey below please take extra care on unfamiliar sections - proceed at your own risk as route quality cannot be guaranteed."

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The route finder doesn't really work for me. I put in find the fastest route and it come up with 11.5 miles and 1 hour 4 mins - the quietest route was 12.5 miles and 1 hour 24 minutes. My route is direct at 10.24 miles and takes around 50 - 55 minutes door to door. I suppose my route might be considered a little hostile. Nice website though - I like the way it works. I just think the quickest should really be the quickest in terms of time and distance.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The route finder doesn't really work for me. I put in find the fastest route and it come up with 11.5 miles and 1 hour 4 mins - the quietest route was 12.5 miles and 1 hour 24 minutes. My route is direct at 10.24 miles and takes around 50 - 55 minutes door to door. I suppose my route might be considered a little hostile. Nice website though - I like the way it works. I just think the quickest should really be the quickest in terms of time and distance.
I've found most cycle maps are like that, they go for quieter roads with lower gradients. I go in a straighter line no matter what the hills are like and traffic doesn't go much faster than me anyway.