Walk assist

Sep 13, 2020
Has anybody ever had cause to use this function?

I did earlier tonight. I'm in a support bubble with a friend and her Mum. She had spent the afternoon with me at my house, and we decided to walk back to her house, which is about 2 miles away, and I'd take my bike, walk it to hers, and then cycle back on it.

Unfortunately I found that the walk assist would not go for more than a couple of seconds at a time. Then stopped. Pushing the bike manually up hills (and even more so down) proved to be much more of a challenge than I'd anticipated. The bike is quite heavy, so walking continuously with one, manually, and trying to hold a conversation at the same time, was not that easy. Eventually, for the last half mile or so, we agreed that she should walk on ahead, and I would follow and catch her up, before she was out of sight.

My question is, how does walk assist work? Why would mine keep cutting out? Not sure whether it's me not working it right, or whether there's something wrong with it.

I can certainly see why it would be fitted with walk assist, as it would undoubtedly make the process of walking the bike, a lot easier.

Last edited: