Was I asking too much from a Dremel?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Found my Dremel 3000 this morning, which is a brand new Xmas gift from 2 years ago that I've never used until today. I needed to spot derust some tools, so I popped on the sanding band attachment and leisurely started to derust the tools. After about half hour of use (with short intermittent breaks, not continuous), it totally gave up the ghost. Checked fuse and two carbon brush inserts, but nothing amiss there. Googled 'Dremel not working' and it appears that this a common problem. It's out of warranty now, but I'm keen to buy another tool which is this style, as it's easy to hold and work with.

There was me thinking Dremel was a top notch brand. So the questions are;

1) Was I asking too much from a Dremel?
2) Are Dremels not as good as I was led to believe?
3) Is there a better alternative brand out there, who makes this style of tool, but is more robust?

I'm happy to spend up to £100 on something that will last. Don't fancy buying another Dremel, if they prove to be unreliable.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi
Can't comment on dremel as I've never owned one but I have had a draper one for 6yrs and absolutely hamered it and it's still good if not a bit battle scared

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mine is 2 years old and still works even cut steal with it and only cost £25 from baq.

prob just had a fault from new but bit late now warranty wise.

the batt version is crap!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
My dremel was purchased in 1978, and I have replaced the brushes ,on two occasions. I find that it eats the cutting disks ,in that every time I use it I consume a few disks due to sideways movement.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
give it back to the person that gave it you for Christmas :p

Advertisers