Waterproof boots/shoes

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Hi guys!

Can you help me to find truly waterproof boots/shoes which will keep me dry during a havy rain?

Until yesterday I used veltoze overshoes which worked very well but putting them on was a pain.

Since I cant spend much on shoes Gore tex are not an option. I need to get something 100% waterproof and I do not expect to get breathable boots.

I thought about cheap bike boots or trek boots but I cant find any with good feedback.

I can spend up to 50£

Finally wellies are not an option ;)

Reactions: artspeck

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Why aren't wellies an option? I used to use wellies regularly on a wet commute and they work well. Still use them fairly often, especially when we cycle out to a local hill where we have to walk to check sheep and cattle. One good feature is that overtrousers go outside them, so no risk of water dripping in from the bottom of the trousers. Downside is that regular cycle clips or velcro straps are too small to keep the overtrousers out of the way

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi guys!

Can you help me to find truly waterproof boots/shoes which will keep me dry during a havy rain?

Until yesterday I used veltoze overshoes which worked very well but putting them on was a pain.

Since I cant spend much on shoes Gore tex are not an option. I need to get something 100% waterproof and I do not expect to get breathable boots.

I thought about cheap bike boots or trek boots but I cant find any with good feedback.

I can spend up to 50£

Finally wellies are not an option ;)
I use long waterproof trousers, ones that hang low over the shoes.
Combined with an Anorak that hangs a lot lower than the tops of the trousers, plus "waterproofed" trainers, pick ones made of cotton as far as possible, with high sides to protect the ankles (I don't know the right name for that!)
I was shown a simple trick years ago to make the trainers as good as water proof - you run them through the washing machine to get them really clean, dry them well, then take a white candle and rub it hard all over the cotton. especially where the cotton meets rubber.
Then take a hair dryer and "melt" the wax, the original colour of trainers comes back!!
If done properly, this repels water spray very well, feet remain dry, even if you still cannot walk through deep puddles....not that I have tried that myself!!!
This crazy Russian knows how to do it as well!! He even "tests" the effectiveness!!
You may need to do it twice if the first time you don't get enough wax on the cloth at the first attempt!!
I see on Youtube that some people use WD-40 to soak the shoes, I have not tried that myself though!!
I do not know of a cheaper and easier method myself than the canle wax effect!!!!
regards
Andy

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Try waterproof socks instead. I use Aldi's at the moment on both my bikes and motorbike.
Sealskinz are a good brand and I believe Evans currently have these on sale for about £12.

Reactions: MrMark

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I tried Sealskinz for walking. They very quickly got little punctures; probably from small grit etc getting in at top of the boot. They then seemed good at letting in water, but not so good at letting it out again.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
I tried Sealskinz for walking. They very quickly got little punctures; probably from small grit etc getting in at top of the boot. They then seemed good at letting in water, but not so good at letting it out again.
He wants them for cycling not walking. I've never had a pair puncture. Just my experience.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Ive been using lidls waterproof walking boots for 3 winters, although I won't ride in a downpour I occasionally get caught out ;) But I do go off road through some serious mud, try to find 2-3 inches of water to stand in, washing off the worst of the mud before getting home. The only time I've got wet feet was when my trousers had lifted above the top of a boot and the water ran down my leg.
PS usually under £20 but mine were the last pr at £10

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Just out of budget but 510 freerider boot versions are brilliant

Mine were 60 (check CRC, bikster etc) but rrp is 120

I used to swear by walking boots until I got these but I do use them both off road and. just for commuting daily

Let me find a.link

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Why aren't wellies an option?
Because the way they look :) and I don't need protection above an ankle.

@Andy-Mat your method of waterproofing is very interesting I will defo try that too :)

About sealz skins socks - I'm using their waterproof gloves and they are great! But I want to keep dry both feet and shoes :) I cycle Daily so wouldn't be able to dry wet shoes all the time
Just buy the best ones from here lots of our members use them week in week out for metal detecting in the worst conditions https://thedrybootcompany.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA7vTiBRAqEiwA4NTO62Fuzv5sqz51bZcPB4MS4XDWdT8xKDYr6Sazu2xXLzHFklJOla7fQhoC-gYQAvD_BwE
These look very decent but for a little more I can get gore tex cying shoes. Too expensive.

@KirstinS are these 100% waterproof? I cycle in any weather so they must work even when it rains heavily.

Perhaps there are decent overshoes which are easier to put on then veltoze?

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Decathlon overtrousers include shoe covers at the bottom of each leg

Keeps my non waterproof shoes clean & dry, and doesn’t interfere with the cleats

Reactions: egroover

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
3 items together work perfectly for me:
- waterproof 5-Ten flat shoes (Freerider Elements)
- Vaude Pallas III Neoprene overshoes
- any half-decent waterproof overtrousers

This combination has proven impermeable in the foulest of weather, including riding through very deep puddles! (any socks you like - they will be dry when you arrive!)

Reactions: MrMark

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Thanks a lot guys.

Vaude Pallas III Neoprene overshoes won't make my feet seat? I do not care about cold protection actually is opposite, I am looking for overshoes which I can use in warm wet weather too.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Thanks a lot guys.

Vaude Pallas III Neoprene overshoes won't make my feet seat? I do not care about cold protection actually is opposite, I am looking for overshoes which I can use in warm wet weather too.
I wear mine all-year round in wet weather

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Deeply unfashionable but I am with you Leighping and carry rolled up wellies in my panniers to keep my feet dry when the heavens open. I also keep an eye on the online weather forecast and take the car to work on the actually very few days that it is likely to really cane it down, although I tend to brave it more often than not, hence the wellies and as no waterproofs keep you dry in really heavy rain I tend to wear just the waterproofs including an attachable hood and my cacks gloves socks and wellies so that there is less to dry when I get home. Might be a bit embarrassing if I ended up in casualty though!

Reactions: LeighPing