Waterproofing the Battery and its connections

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
There has been some intermittent mention of waterprooofing odds and ends of vulnerable components in exposed-to-the-elements locations on the bike.
I expect there may have been posts on the subject more comprehensively somewhere on the Forum and I missed it.
What I am thinking of here is that part of the basic e-bike set up where the battery and controller and it interconnections are in quite an exposed location where all the 'farmyard' comes up at them from both the revolving front and back wheels.
I have tried to envisage a sort of velcroed cape that can be securely fitted over this sensitive area (I'll tell you I run a Torq - so you can see where I am coming from) including beneath and whilst not 'immersible' it should deflect a substantial quantity of the stuff and, with a bit of luck, that microscopic bit that finds its way down to those sensistive connections.
Anybody fancy themselves as a designer/e-bike couturier? :D
Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I see the main problem as being in the fact that it has to have an opening along it's length to place it around the wiring. Since it's unlikely that could be totally sealed, any moisture that did get in would have a nice enclosed environment in which to set up humidity based connection corrosion. At least an air flow can dry things out.

Rigid plastic cowlings with grommet cable entries as on the Twist are effective, but have to be designed in of course, and even that design leaves much of the rear underside open for airflow.

A simple angled "skid plate" like that on trials and motocross motorbikes would keep things clean and stop direct water splashing, while still allowing airflow for drying. I'd toyed with the idea of adding that on my eZee bikes.