We will all get banned.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

These idiots are advertising breaking the law. How long before all emtbs and probably mtbs are banned.
Absolute idiots. If anybody knows them tell them to at least stop posting videos on YouTube. Brain dead.
Not sure but I think Suron is 6kw..Only around x50 over limit. Might as well be on a CRF250... At least that wouldn't get those trying to keep legal banned.
Arsole tells police they have no jurisdiction. Yep, of course not. Riding an uninsured, untaxed, unregistered motor bike on public land.
Sorry but this really annoys me.Legal Emtb for such land is absolutely perfect. Why ruin it for everyone. If you want to ride 50mph motorbikes get on road or take up mx, trialing or Enduro but don't feck it up for us all.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: snafu and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

These idiots are advertising breaking the law. How long before all emtbs and probably mtbs are banned.
Absolute idiots. If anybody knows them tell them to at least stop posting videos on YouTube. Brain dead.
Not sure but I think Suron is 6kw..Only around x50 over limit. Might as well be on a CRF250... At least that wouldn't get those trying to keep legal banned.
Arsole tells police they have no jurisdiction. Yep, of course not. Riding an uninsured, untaxed, unregistered motor bike on public land.
Sorry but this really annoys me.Legal Emtb for such land is absolutely perfect. Why ruin it for everyone. If you want to ride 50mph motorbikes get on road or take up mx, trialing or Enduro but don't feck it up for us all.
A good use for the Napier Barracks - anyone caught, goes straight there, for a suitable time.

I suspect the videos at least break the terms of YouTube - but they are often poorly enforced.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
A good use for the Napier Barracks - anyone caught, goes straight there, for a suitable time.

I suspect the videos at least break the terms of YouTube - but they are often poorly enforced.
I, m surprised Surron have allowed it.. Not in their interests really to advertise illegal use of bike. Starting with being on road in first place, going against flow of traffic, use on public land. No tax, no insurance, no registration. Probably no license. And an assumption it's fine off road. Crazy. Gets more thumbs up than down. Wonder if anyone from police has seen it.??

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I, ve sent this Video on to Surron importers. They have been in touch and actually quite disturbed about video. (or seemed that way) Said they would be contacting individuals and looking into it??? Yep, we will see.
Are there any folk connected to legal side of things on here? Police, magistrates or something..? What's your view.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

N.B. The following is non political and NOT a pro EU comment.

You're right. While we were in the EU we were protected by our pedelec law being an EU wide regulation compulsory for all member states. Now we've left our government can change the regulations at a drop of the hat. Given that our pedelec law before we joined the EU was very restrictive, provoking change now is very silly indeed.

Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Does seem a strange attitude towards electric bikes. If I rolled up at that venue, after riding down road especially, on my Enduro motorcycle that policeman would have arrested me. On a Surron that probably out performs my motor bike... Well video speaks for itself.
Do you think we will be altering our pedelec law Flecc, think perhaps too much invested at dealers now to change much?? Hope it remains same.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do you think we will be altering our pedelec law Flecc, think perhaps too much invested at dealers now to change much?? Hope it remains same.
I don't think so at present with so much occupying government. The danger will be as things normalise and they find time on their hands to attend to wider public order issues.

However there are signs that the DfT wants to stay aligned to the EU on transport issues, for example saying that if they do adopt e-scooters they want the EU limit of 20 kph (12.5 mph) and not the USA's 15 mph for them.

Reactions: sjpt and Zlatan

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The one guy claims that they are no different to a push bike - how wrong is he. The officer was right they are motorised vehicles. How/why is it legal to sell them unregistered?
I suspect that both riders may be compensating for a certain lack of anatomical presence !:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How/why is it legal to sell them unregistered?
The law cannot assume any manner of usage.

That's why almost anything can be bought and bans on sale are so rare. The restrictions and partial ban on gun sales are one of the very rare examples.

As an example on how bans on sale could be wrong, some years ago British Moto GP rider James Toseland at the age of 16 bought a new Honda CB 500 road going motorbike. He couldn't legally ride it on the road but that didn't matter since he bought it to ride in the racing class for that road bike.

And he promptly won that championship at that young age.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I see what you're saying Flecc but, the Honda will have been bought registered, therefore traceable. I don't know of anywhere where you could buy, say a new car, and drive it away without reg plates. So I'm not saying ban sales but treat them as what they are, an electric motorbike that happens to have pedals that you don't need to use.
It would seem to me that the manufacturers are making money (no problem there) by deliberately misleading and/or confusing the public in order to get sales.
I agree with the OP, this kind of product muddies the water for us all because it will be inappropriately used - as demonstrated.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt and Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I see what you're saying Flecc but, the Honda will have been bought registered, therefore traceable. I don't know of anywhere where you could buy, say a new car, and drive it away without reg plates. So I'm not saying ban sales but treat them as what they are, an electric motorbike that happens to have pedals that you don't need to use.
It would seem to me that the manufacturers are making money (no problem there) by deliberately misleading and/or confusing the public in order to get sales.
I agree with the OP, this kind of product muddies the water for us all because it will be inappropriately used - as demonstrated.
Totally agreed. I forwarded the video to Surron who to their credit did reply. They accepted it was not how the bikes should be used and that they were on the wrong bikes. But went on to say use of bikes off road was a grey area. I disputed that. Off road motor bikes are illegal on any land where public have access to. They must only be used on private land and public must be locked out.
I, m surprised the off road mx fraternity aren't going ape about this. Some emtb's have 15kw motors. (I believe the Surron is 6?)
If a lad rolled up an a CRF 250 he, d last 2 minutes before getting locked up,his bike confiscated and probably crushed.
These fools roll up on un taxed, unregistered, un insured motorbikes and argue with police... Then post it on you tube.
Flecc
Toseland races on closed circuits, private land, express permission of land owner with public access barred. (Spectators are fenced away from circuit and locked out of paddock)
I could (actually have) built motorbikes in garage, raced them. No engine numbers. No chassis numbers. And it's fine. They must pass scrutineering for safety and rule compliance, and that's fine. The law looks on that as using it in my own back garden and without insurance because I have no access to public.
A mate of mine runs a trials park. He got fined because his front gate was open and kids could have wandered into park.
Folk such as in video and Surron will ruin it for us all.
Police will just ban anything with a motor in it off road. They ain't got time or inclination to sift through complaints or check ebikes. They have better things to do.
Selfish fools. Surron and folk doing it. They are simply exploiting pedelec/push bike agreement. They are no more a pedelec than a fireblade is.
????

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I see what you're saying Flecc but, the Honda will have been bought registered, therefore traceable. I don't know of anywhere where you could buy, say a new car, and drive it away without reg plates.
I've only just noticed this response, it's not true.

One can buy any motorcycle or car without registration from any dealer, there is no compulsion to register, tax or insure. Obviously it has to be carried away or used on trade plates. I still remember picking up a Landrover from the factory using trade plates since it was tax free and being shipped out to Kenya as a personal export for the customer. And the motorcycle trade supply many unregistered road going superbikes for use in that racing class after a few permitted mods.

Advertisers