Weird Bus Lane Rules

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
So having had a near miss recently while I was in a bus lane I decided to double check the bus lane rules, for myself the rules are simple and I'm allowed to cycle in the bus lanes whenever.

For cars it's mostly timed and they can pull in if a police car wants to pass or something, the full list is here.

Bus lanes | Transport for London

Then I spoke with a motorist(my dad) who went into a bit of a rant about bus lanes and warning me about cars turning across them, I went on to ask why you would suddenly turn across a bus lane as for the most part you could get a side on impact from a bus. He went on to say that basically most of the bus lanes are drawn wrongly and so don't have space to turn in before the turn and so if you turn in and then turn you could get a fine for driving in the bus lane for all of 10 yards.

Mostly looking at how often this isn't marked.
If you want to turn left within 20 metres of the junction - an arrow or a dotted white line will indicate if this is allowed
I then sort of had this in the back of my mind for a couple of days and while cycling I haven't seen many that would be marked correctly to allow a safe turn. I think more a danger to motorists but still not keen on the idea of cars swinging across an entire lane to go left especially as many indicate far too late.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree, the situation where drivers are forced to turn left at a near right angle from an outer lane is completely at odds with safe driving practice. Worse still is that the driver's left side mirror which in the outer lane will leave a substantial blind spot beyond the angle of view at the left of the bus lane near to the driver, easily large enough to contain cyclists. This particularly affects vans where even looking around doesn't show a cyclist just to the rear of the door window but too far left to be in the mirror view.

Advertisers