wet control PAS control panel

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Somehow rain water has got into the PAS control LCD on my Kudos bike,

if I put it in the airing cupboard to dry out, should it work? power cut out on it, so suspect it has shorted out inside, tho' it did come back after I gave it wiggle after switching power on & off again.

or does it mean a new unit?,if so how to proof it against rain?

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi The bike is useless if it wont work in the wet talk to where you bought the bike and get a new display if it happens with the new one there is a problem with the displays it is then up to Kudos to sort it
If you mess with it you will void the warranty

PS How do you get the bike in the airing cupboard

Frank

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Have a look at the back of it. If there's anything you can unscrew to open it, it'll dry a lot better. Unfortunately, there's 36v in there, so water can do some damage if it gets in certain places. To ensure waterproofing, try a bit of clingfilm.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
getting bike in the cupboard weel the same way as you would gettng four elephants in a mini,1 in the drivers seat, 1 in the passenger seat , slice 'n' dice the others and put them in the boot! don't be silly ,I took the panel of ,and put it in the airer . can't say its improved much tho'

As for wrapping in cling film , should not have to do that really d8eh, but have been in touch with Kudos , they are happy to send replacemant , which think I will take up
u
Hi The bike is useless if it wont work in the wet talk to where you bought the bike and get a new display if it happens with the new one there is a problem with the displays it is then up to Kudos to sort it
If you mess with it you will void the warranty

PS How do you get the bike in the airing cupboard

Frank

D

Deleted member 4366

getting bike in the cupboard weel the same way as you would gettng four elephants in a mini,1 in the drivers seat, 1 in the passenger seat , slice 'n' dice the others and put them in the boot! don't be silly ,I took the panel of ,and put it in the airer . can't say its improved much tho'

As for wrapping in cling film , should not have to do that really d8eh, but have been in touch with Kudos , they are happy to send replacemant , which think I will take up
u
These LCD panels often are not waterproof. They're OK in a quick shower, but if you ride in a downpour or leave your bike parked in the rain, you need some extra protection, like clingfilm, even if you feel that you shouldn't have to do it.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
These LCD panels often are not waterproof. They're OK in a quick shower, but if you ride in a downpour or leave your bike parked in the rain, you need some extra protection, like clingfilm, even if you feel that you shouldn't have to do it.
Utterly disgraceful, given they're being sold in wet western Europe. I expect the cheap 'n cheerful Far Eastern ones to be less than adequate, but even some of them are more waterproof than that.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Surely you can just open the casing and apply some instant gasket to form a seal and also seal the screw holes ?

I did this on my Cycle Analyst following their instructions (Page 20 here http://www.ebikes.ca/drainbrain/CycleAnalyst_Manual_Vers22.pdf ) when I couldn't be bothered to go out riding in the gales a couple of weeks ago.

You don't have to go out in the rain in Devon for everything to get wet - just keep the bike in an outbuilding or garage and it may as well be in the permanent damp :rolleyes: Reading that guidance condensation managed to form without even riding in the rain ! It hasn't happened since I beefed up the weatherproofing and in fairness never interfered with the proper operating of the display even before sealing it.

Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Even the Bosch one is only IP54 (dust and splash-proof), and they're designed in wet Western Europe, so don't point at the far-east.
Bosch HMI Wasserschaden
Read what I wrote.
If these ones in question are designed and made in Wet Western Europe, that makes them all the more of a disgrace, does it not, especially at Bosch pricing.