wet weather clothing

richard

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2007
berkshire RG8 UK
I would welcome advice on what wet weather gear to buy.
I got soaked today, not from the rain but from sweat, My old plastic suit may be ok for brief protection but not for cycling. before I splash out :) I would like to know what other riders use. I have an uncanny knack of buying the wrong thing when it comes to clothing.
Richard

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Hi Richard,

my cycling clothing is a selection of long and short sleeved base layers and micro-fleece outer layers made from so called "technical" materials. You can easily spend a fortune on such clothing but mine is mostly at the budget end from Decathlon, much of if on special offers representing excellent value. I find proper sports clothing does help a lot in getting rid of sweat, which after all is what it's designed to do. I don't stick to clothing specifically intended for cycling, there's running and hiking gear in my wardrobe, I just choose what's appropriate for the weather at the time.

Ian.

richard

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2007
berkshire RG8 UK
Thanks Ian that looks very interesting, I have used an oldfashioned cape in the past but in a side wind in can be to say the least interesting!!! so I think it is worth investing in something more suitable. I did not realise just how much h20 our bodies produce.
Richard

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
Hello Richard

I thoroughly recommend Gore Bike Wear - GORE Bike Wear™

I've had one of their jackets since 2000 (and so has the wife) and it's still as good as the day I bought it (apart from one worn zip which I haven't got round to replacing yet) and I wear it all the time, not just for biking. It's very light, it can fold up into itself and you can then use the strap to wrap it round your waist. It keeps the wind out and it lets the sweat out particularly when combined with a wicking t-shirt layer. I bought it for about 400 DM in Germany (£130 at the time) which sounds very expensive for a jacket but considering how much use I've had from it it's worth it.

When I first started biking I made do with cheap raincoats but soon found that they didn't breathe and thus the sweat had nowhere to go so I soon overheated. I ended up always having to take it off and ride without it, even in the rain which rather defeated the object of taking the coat with me.

If you're after a rucksack then I can recommend Deuter, though my wife's one has finally had to be replaced after a mere 7 years daily use! (It's mainly just the zips that have gone and also some of the inner lining has worn. The main outer fabric of the bag is intact. Unfortunately the cost of having someone stitch new zips in means a new one is more economical) They're very light too and have lots of useful storage pockets and features. Again when I first started biking I had a cheap and nasty non-bike specific rucksack which was heavy and uncomfortable. It didn't last. As they say, buy cheap, buy twice.

Regards

Paul

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
A couple of years back I picked up some Pearl Izumi eVent waterproof clothing. Even in torrential rain, I remained dry as a bone when I got to work/home. There was only a very very slight dampness to the inside of the jacket/trousers from perspiration. Plus the jacket has a hood that fits over a cycle helmet.

I'm not sure if Pearl Izumi still use the material as my set was from a discontinued range (therefore at a massive discount!) but it is comparable to the best of Goretex and priced similarly.

cheers
Russ.
Russell Scott
Pedelecs UK

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi Richard

I live in Manchester, am moving from car to bike for my commute permanently, and my commute 11 miles each way, and so this is a very important subject that I have spent hours/days pondering over.

Ive recently moved on from Millets bought reflective Jacket @ £20 for the same reasons. Ive bought the £60 Altura Night Vision Jacket in Hiviz Yellow, and I have to say the difference is amazing. It has adjustable side vents and a high back vent which vent the sweat really well and yet even in the downpours we get in Manchester, I get home completely dry. [note - obviously this wont work if you use a backpack - so I use Ortlieb panniers]

I have just decathlons own waterproof over-trousers and they work, but by the time I get home I feel like Ive been wrapped in cling film. I can recommend the Altura Cruiser tight-thingys. If you can change either way, they are comfy in the dry, and offer good 'wicking' underneath over-trousers.

Right now I am awaiting the Altura Night Vision over-trousers to go with the Jacket. Not cheap by any measure @ £40, but the Jackets materials are of such good quality I just had to buy them. My colleagues at work have noticed too, as they have commented on the difference in reflectivity of the jacket (most think I am mad to give up my car - well it is a car leasing business).

I have always thought that waterproof clothing was the same thing, just that us cyclists were being ripped off by the makers. I was completely wrong. In my opinion, it does make a difference having cycle specific waterproofs.

I am buying some waterproof cycling shoes and socks too (sick of wet toes and socks) as I want dry feet, and am thinking of using cleats for a bit extra speed (new thread on way). I will let you know what I think of the trousers once I have tried them which wont be long from now.

John

FatMog

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2007
At the risk of going off on a slight tangent, remember that drivers will see someone wearing fluorescent/reflective clothing around 3 seconds sooner than someone in mufti. And studies in New Zealand (of motorbikes) show that you run 37% less risk of injury if you're wearing hi viz. Gotta be worth bearing in mind!

Sorry to bang on - I'm only a new cyclist but I've been a vulnerable road user for years on my horse, not to mention narrowly avoiding unlit, black-clad cyclists on unilluminated country roads at nighttime. (The only time in my life I felt it necessary to wind down the window and, umm, remonstrate with said individual. Oh, apart from the roller-blader encountered in the middle of the road, also at night, unlit etc etc. :confused: Death wish, I reckon!)

Anyway, be safe, I have no wish to be squasher or squashee! :D

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
drivers will see someone wearing fluorescent/reflective clothing around 3 seconds sooner than someone in mufti.:D
JJB Sports have a clearance sale of Hi-viz clothing, from £2.50 for a basic vest to £15.99 for bomber jackets. Not sure how much will be left now though.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
At the risk of going off on a slight tangent, remember that drivers will see someone wearing fluorescent/reflective clothing around 3 seconds sooner than someone in mufti. And studies in New Zealand (of motorbikes) show that you run 37% less risk of injury if you're wearing hi viz. Gotta be worth bearing in mind!
:D
I have a Foska Bones jacket ( Foska.com Bones Hi-Vis Training Jacket Bones Hi-Vis Training Jacket ) which is fantastic for visibility at night. It is such a striking design that I have had loads of people stop me and comment on it. Plus it gets a smile from everyone which is great as I find car drivers especially are more considerate towards me as a cyclist.

cheers
Russ.
Russell Scott

Pedelecs UK

RichardB

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2006
I confess another of my hats as a yacht instructor has given me lots of insight into good and BAD foul weather gear and it's just as applicable to cycling as the high seas..although lightweight gear is not a sailors' prime issue.

Firstly, make sure you avoid natural fibres such as wool and cotton and old fashioned gear like wax jackets - they are all great at retaining moisture from sweat and rain and eventually will all make you cold and miserable.

Secondly, don't be fooled by labels - good gear is expensive, but the top brands are definitely not always the best for the job. I wear expensive waterproofs at sea, but spend many days afloat so it has to be hardwearing. I equip students with breathable, light, but cheaper gear and it works just as well, but we have to replace it more often.

Thirdly, layer up to wick the moisture away from your body. Using thin layers means you can remove them as you get warmer and replace them as you get colder again. There are many polartec fleece and other lightweight breathables available from even the cheapest of high street stores.

Finally, the top coat, waterproof layer, needs to be just that, and breathable or you will be back inside that bin liner again. Goretex based fabrics are still the top line products, but other lower cost fabrics do also work. Shop around and make sure you find something comfortable that allows the full range of movement you need.

Happy cycling and I hope everyone heading to Presteigne tomorrow has a good set of waterproofs packed!

Richard
Richard Beniston
Pedelecs UK