What annoys me about some posts

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
what I’ve noticed, and find a bit annoying, are the negative non constructive threads some post.

Someone asks an opinion about a bike or part and gets a “it’s crap “ style response.

It may we’ll be carp but be constructive. Say why and what is better.

Some members are very constructive and I enjoy reading their posts even if I disagree.

Enjoy your cycling folks.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
what I’ve noticed, and find a bit annoying, are the negative non constructive threads some post.

Someone asks an opinion about a bike or part and gets a “it’s crap “ style response.

It may we’ll be carp but be constructive. Say why and what is better.

Some members are very constructive and I enjoy reading their posts even if I disagree.

Enjoy your cycling folks.
Ok, I'll be constructive. :) This sentence you posted:

It may we’ll be carp but be constructive.

Should have been:

It may well be crap, but be constructive. ;)

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I thought crap would be censored. Also is your post constructive or just a correction? :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought crap would be censored. Also is your post constructive or just a correction? :D
The censorship doesn't seem to work, I've found no bar on posting any of the naughty bits.

My post was both corrective (carp to crap), and constructive in the placing of a comma after crap, thus giving speech style emphasis when read for greatest clarity of meaning. :)

Reactions: Jimod and jdallan

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I have often found that a quote helps. Perhaps something relevant, or maybe not that relevant but that popped into your mind as you were writing - or reading the preceding thread. Wry, ironic, facetious, sarcastic - but often not overtly funny.

A quote can slow down reading, make the person think for a few seconds longer, be reminded of things. It is much, much harder to say "Crap!" and add a quote - without feeling like going back and thinking again.

My offer in this reply is this:

When you’re lost in the rain in Juarez
And it’s Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don’t pull you through

Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues
Written by: Bob Dylan

Reactions: LeighPing

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Ok, I'll be constructive. :) This sentence you posted:

It may we’ll be carp but be constructive.

Should have been:

It may well be crap, but be constructive. ;)
..is that we,ll as in wheel or well as in ..well?

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
..is that we,ll as in wheel or well as in ..well?
It’s predictive text written by a pool in South Africa with the bright sun in my eyes. Also look how your apostrophe has become a comma; but I understand the humour so not a problem.

Reactions: Paul smith

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It’s predictive text written by a pool in South Africa with the bright sun in my eyes. Also look how your apostrophe has become a comma; but I understand the humour so not a problem.
I'd guessed it was predictive text. The most predictable thing about it is its capacity to get things wrong! :D

• :D
Reactions: mike killay
D

Deleted member 4366

We have freedom of of speech in the country. You can express your opinion as much as you want as long as you don't say anything that's not allowed.

I think this whole thread is crappy, and, as a separate point, I fail to see why 7 people agreed with it when it doesn't say anything and it's completely unjustified in itself. As soon as I read it, I was annoyed.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I do think a post that is simply a short opinion loses credibility and those that want to be taken seriously should avoid the one line, subjective statement.

Um, like the one I've just made.

Scratches head...

Reactions: oyster and flecc

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I think this whole thread is crappy, and, as a separate point, I fail to see why 7 people agreed with it when it doesn't say anything and it's completely unjustified in itself. As soon as I read it, I was annoyed.
I was one of the seven, perhaps misunderstanding the OP's meaning.
I was maybe thinking of posters that respond to serious threads with inane comments or compleatly miss the point.
Example:
Person X asks, I want to upgrade my cable brakes, which is better out of these two ?
Person Y replys, dont bother, just buy one of these realy expensive bikes and includes a picture of somthing exotic.

I don't see the point in this type of meaningless reply.

D

Deleted member 4366

I read most things on this forum. Maybe i wear blinkers because I can't remember seeing anything like what OP is indicating. Examples would have helped. Let's assume that there are many such posts, wouldn't a better response be to post something like "Why do you say it's crappy? What don't you like about it?"

Generally, if I see people posting crap, I call them out on it, and I expect people to do the same to me.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I read most things on this forum. Maybe i wear blinkers because I can't remember seeing anything like what OP is indicating. Examples would have helped. Let's assume that there are many such posts, wouldn't a better response be to post something like "Why do you say it's crappy? What don't you like about it?"

Generally, if I see people posting crap, I call them out on it, and I expect people to do the same to me.
it was me and it is still crap esp for the money @750 the batt is 250 so ur paying 500 quid for the bike and motor ;)

Reactions: LeighPing

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
it was me and it is still crap esp for the money @750 the batt is 250 so ur paying 500 quid for the bike and motor ;)
Well to just blandly call it crap without any qualification of your opinion is what the complaint is all about.
1 If you have ridden it and found it unpleasant you should say so.
or,
2 If you feel that it is overpriced, just say so, this might be a crap deal but it could be that the bike itself is quite good.
I think that the main thrust of the OP was that posters should always say why something is no good rather than just a pantomime style Yah Boo session.

D

Deleted member 4366

Just for the record, I quite like the Pendleton. When it was on offer at £500. it was exceptional value. I would expect that many average female size people would find it better to ride than very expensive middle-motor bicycles.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For most people, families or someone wanting just a run around then the cheap options work. Buying from a large chain like Halfords gives them a presence in nearly every town or nearby out of town location.

SW is one of the exception's on the forum he only looks at top rated expensive items no matter what they are, given bike component or any other tech item you only have to see his posts and generally just put him/his remarks /suggestions to the back of your mind.