What conversion kit should I get?

Deamonata

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 3, 2016
Uk
I've recently moved and unfortunately my commute to work has significantly increased, and now consists of about 30-40 minute ride along a canal, plus an additional 20 minutes of steep uphill on my return journey.

As a result of this I'm looking into whether or not a conversion kit might assist me. I'm currently looking at two options for a conversion kit and I was wanting some advice on them both or if anyone has any other alternatives that might work well for me that I can obtain in the UK.

Option 1: This is from a Company called Bike tails. From the installation video it looks like it would be very easy to install which is a nice plus point and it looks like a fairly straight forward system, I also would be very surprised if this didn't work on my bike as I already have a pannier rack fitted. My concern is that I'm not sure how well it would cope with the steep hill and I've also heard that friction drives aren't as good if the tires are wet, or if it's raining.

Option 2: Is a mid-drive system from Pedalease. This claims to solve the problems I was worried about with the friction drive option, in that it claims to cope well with hills, and this is back up with other information I've read about mid-drive systems, because they are able to make use of the gearing. My concern is how easy it would be to fit myself and if I would need to take it to a local friendly bike shop, and also if it would be possible to fit on my bike at all.
Has anyone had any experience of these brands before? Will the friction drive cope with the hills near me?(according to http://veloroutes.org/ the gradient of my hill is ~8%) How hard are most mid-drive systems to fit? Are there any better options?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
We need to know what your bike is. Friction drives are good on paper rarely on the road.

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That is a good bike for the pedalease kit.

If you don't have the proper tool you can ask your LBS to take the bottom bracket out. Then you need some Allen keys, spanner, screwdriver to mount everything.

• Informative

Deamonata

Aug 3, 2016
Uk
I've seen alot of people mentioning the 8fun bbs01/bbs02 kits looking around it looks like the price would be around the £600 mark. Do you know how good they are/how they perform next to the pedalease kit?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Disclaimer: I am a satisfied Woosh client

Very good, been around for a while and performance of all these 250 W mid motor kits is very similar. I have a Bafang clone, the GSM from Woosh who also do the Bafang and who have great support.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The third option is a hub motor. A front hub motor can be a very easy conversion, probably slightly easier than a mid drive as you don't need any special tools.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Forget friction drives. Been around for 100 years and always been dumped.
Alternative is the halifrauds selling a new e Carrera for £800. Interest free guaranteed etc. Otherwise I'm happy with BBS 01 easy to fit and no issues so far other than buying a hub gear to improve the stop start bit.

Deamonata

Aug 3, 2016
Uk
Right so I think I'll rule out friction motors then.

How do hub motors compare for providing power up hills, my previous understanding was that certainly the front hub ones can struggle a bit because the drive is in front of the center of gravity so you end up with a lot of wasted power. Are there any advantages for going with a hub motor over mid drive.

I had a quick look at the GSM, it looks pretty good, is whoosh a fairly reputable brand/company?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Hub cheap and cheerful. Front can lose grip in slippy conditions but some recommend it as two wheel drive for commuting. Then if chain brakes you can still go on throttle.
Slight technical advantage to CD but new hubs make the difference very little.

Deamonata

Aug 3, 2016
Uk
How easy are rear hubs to install? I thought they were almost as much of a pain as mid-life systems. What sort of things do I need to consider when looking for one?

Out of curiosity would powering yourself home using the front motor after snapping the chain still be legal in the UK for road use?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Most kits seem easy to me. Battery size, spares, support, weight, upgrade ability. Are general. Torque vs sensor and throttle as well.

Probably ilegal, but a get you home measure with oily chain in pocket?

Deamonata

Aug 3, 2016
Uk
I'd probably describe my bike maintenance ability on the more novice side, I've not done a huge amount before now. But in my favour I am a mechanical engineer so I do have some familiarity with the tasks involved even if I've never done any before.

• Informative

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
IT will be a piece of urine then for you. It's electrically as complex as a new tv and cable box with DVD and interweby.

• Agree

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Yorkshire. Why do you ask?
There's a lot of helpful members on here, of varying levels of expertise and experience. Maybe someone is nearby to you and could give you advice first hand. Or, at least a go on their bike to help you make an informed decision. :)

I've pm'd a suggestion to you.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fitting a hub kit to a bike usually requires the axle to sit approx 3mm deeper in the dropouts so a small amount of milling is required, a dremmel type tool makes that easier. The std bike axle is 9mm hub motors are 12 or 14mm which means they don't sit in the drop out quite enough.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I fitted a 8fun front hub motor kit to my Crossfire...... It fitted dead easy, although i did have to remove the granny ring, so i could fit the PAS disc on the chainring side. Also just had to file about 2mm from the inside of one the fork drop outs to clear one side of the motor. Never had any problem with traction with the motor being on the front. Apart from those two slight mods, fitting was a piece of pss.