What do you think of the bikes at Halfords?

D

Deleted member 4366

You really need the controller and a more powerful battery as well to convert. That's about £500 from China.
You could try with just the motor, and solder the shunt in your existing controller to get about 20 amps, but you might get cut-outs on the hills and your battery might wear out prematurely. You'd have to try it to see.
The BPM motor from the Tornado is the same power and is a lot cheaper. You can get it from China for about £250 as a complete kit, i.e built into a wheel plus controller, or just the bare motor for about £150. The Ariba motor is about £250 from China. Those prices include duty, which you sometimes don't have to pay. Normally Kudos spares prices are very reasonable. I reckon if they ordered a few of those CST motor- wheels as spares, they'd sell pretty fast.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
D

Deleted member 4366

Are they available in motorwheels now ?
I haven't seen any yet, but Kudos normally carry spares for their bikes, so, if they had a spare for the Ariba, it would be built into a wheel.

That motor can't be the same as the BMSBattery one because the 350w one I had wasn't very fast IIRC. The GBK one says 283-300 rpm, which is about 25mph. I tried running mine at a higher current, but it didn't add any torque, so 22amps is about the max. I think that 250/350w means that you can run it with either a 15 amp or 22 amp controller. It's the same motor. The Q100 is the same. It has a label on that says 250w-350w; however, it can't manage 22 amps.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
aye, what a bummer eh? a cruise up the avenida de l'libertade on an electric bike in spring, i'm feeling for you ! maybe you want to ride on up the rosa alto and check out the neo-devine fado chanteuse girls whose song will make you realise the ultimate futility of beer, wine and ebike sales.

D

Deleted member 4366

Not sure how easy a swop that would be,but I have already costed spares for the Arriba bike. So please email Kudos to get a price,I am on business in Portugal this week.

KudosDave
Dead easy to swap the motors. The axle and axle spacing are the same, so, out with the old, in with the new. You might want to add a torque arm because of the higher torque.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I haven't seen any yet, but Kudos normally carry spares for their bikes, so, if they had a spare for the Ariba, it would be built into a wheel.
Must have been dozing ... does the Kudos Arriba come with a CST motor then ?

Energize

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2013
I've got the Woosh Sirocco CD now, certainly gets me up those 25% hills a lot faster, I can pedal faster than the limit though on the flat never mind going down hills at 30 odd, this results in the annoying feeling of it dying underneath me, just like my horse so often does. Is there any simple way to de-limit this thing from the snails pace it's limited to by EU law?

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
I've got the Woosh Sirocco CD now, certainly gets me up those 25% hills a lot faster, I can pedal faster than the limit though on the flat never mind going down hills at 30 odd, this results in the annoying feeling of it dying underneath me, just like my horse so often does. Is there any simple way to de-limit this thing from the snails pace it's limited to by EU law?
Can d8veh borrow it, his life may be in danger :rolleyes:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
ditto. Ask d8veh how he did it.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Energize,

Might be a little late on this one but..
Other retailers in the bike trade can process bikes on the Halfords bike to work scheme.
I know it seems a bit backwards but I have done 2 now through their own scheme.
One of which was for a Halfords employee who didn't want to buy a bike from Halfords themselves (don't ask why!). He came and bought a bike from me.

Go to a couple of the traders on here that have eBikes within your budget and try them out.
Or go to daves event in redbridge where you can try lots of different bikes out in the same day.

Then choose one you like and ask the retailer to contact 'Halfords cycle to work scheme'
They will process it even if its not a Halfords store..

Hope this helps.
Martin

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

You press and hold the up and down buttons until the display changes to setup mode. The mode button scrolls through the settings 'til the big 25 starts flashing. Use the up button to increase it to 40 and then press and hold the mode button to save the setting and return to normal mode. Don't forget that your range will go down a bit because the motor will be on all the time. You can go even higher (27mph) by pulling the plug on the speed sensor, but you lose your speed display. Probably the same will happen if the magnet on the back wheel slips out of position, although if you try that on the Oxydrive King Meter, it reverts to 15mph.