Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
24 V batteries are a lot cheaper than they were in 2010... Great project bike.

There are two bidders with automatic bids and they didn't kick in when the last bidder went to £164 sooooo...

I think £250 buys it

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm thinking maybe £400 at a push..
Yes Steve, I looked at that link and I think your suggestion of a maximum bid of £400 would be as much as I'd be prepared to pay if I wanted an illegal machine.

Without checking, I'd hazard that a replacement battery would cost about a monkey for a decent one, so with an all-up investment of less than a grand, it could well provide some enjoyment wherever it can be used for not a great deal of money.

The rims would be my only other concern but they are easily checked and shouldn't be too costly to replace.

The seller has hampered his chances of achieving a great price, I think, by insisting he will not deal with couriers, requiring pick-up only from any purchaser - strange!

Tom

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Yes Steve, I looked at that link and I think your suggestion of a maximum bid of £400 would be as much as I'd be prepared to pay if I wanted an illegal machine.

Without checking, I'd hazard that a replacement battery would cost about a monkey for a decent one, so with an all-up investment of less than a grand, it could well provide some enjoyment wherever it can be used for not a great deal of money.

The rims would be my only other concern but they are easily checked and shouldn't be too costly to replace.

The seller has hampered his chances of achieving a great price, I think, by insisting he will not deal with couriers, requiring pick-up only from any purchaser - strange!

Tom
Yeah I noticed the courier thing but if you look at the first question that was asked, it's clearly from one of those Paypal scammers. Maybe he's had previous!

I'm struggling to find a 24v battery though. I'm assuming that it's a Panasonic drive but I thought they were 26v units.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Hummm I'm no expert here but if I've read correctly the bike has been used for commuting 20 miles a day for 4 years, it could well have covered 15,000+ miles. It won't just be the battery that's tired, all the moving parts would be past there best, wheel rims (breaking surface), all the bearings thought the bike, suspension forks, etc
I don't know if there's anything special about that particular modle that sets it apart from other bikes so I'd assume it's just another worn-out e-bike.
Since selling my low mileage Agattu I've seen quite a few hardly used exelent condition e-bikes sell for £400 or less.
If he's close enough to you, get a quick viewing. If not, I'd think twice before buying ;)

Reactions: EddiePJ

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Hummm I'm no expert here but if I've read correctly the bike has been used for commuting 20 miles a day for 4 years, it could well have covered 15,000+ miles. It won't just be the battery that's tired, all the moving parts would be past there best, wheel rims (breaking surface), all the bearings thought the bike, suspension forks, etc
I don't know if there's anything special about that particular modle that sets it apart from other bikes so I'd assume it's just another worn-out e-bike.
Since selling my low mileage Agattu I've seen quite a few hardly used exelent condition e-bikes sell for £400 or less.
If he's close enough to you, get a quick viewing. If not, I'd think twice before buying ;)
Yeah. The 15,000 miles is spot on actually.

He's under an hour from here. I have a couple of friends that want an electric so i'm kind of on the look out for them on a budget. Sprockets and chain replacements aren't an issue but when it comes to worn motors (i'm sure it's okay) and the like then I do share your concerns..!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The guy describes the bike as 'fast pedelec' because 'it will decrease the assistance till you reach 28mph'. It seems optimistic to me. I would also read 'has started to take a toll on the battery' as battery is on its last leg.
The motor may follow the battery shortly.
£200 max.

Reactions: SteveRuss

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
The guy describes the bike as 'fast pedelec' because 'it will decrease the assistance till you reach 28mph'. It seems optimistic to me. I would also read 'has started to take a toll on the battery' as battery is on its last leg.
The motor may follow the battery shortly.
£200 max.
Agreed...!

I can't find a replacement battery. You'd probably know better where to find one.. ;)

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm struggling to find a 24v battery though. I'm assuming that it's a Panasonic drive but I thought they were 26v units.
If it's Panasonic, their batteries were frequently described as 24v but I believe they were in fact 26v and 50cycles could source one easily, I'm sure. The price might make your eyes water though!

I can't remember when Kalkhoff binned Panasonic and went with their own motors but either way, they have proved to be robust, long-lasting units for the most part. Nothing lasts forever though and that mileage of c15,000 does come into play.

Looking at the rim surfaces, there seems to be some wear groove definition evident in the pictures, if indeed those grooves are the indicators on those particular rims. The front rim looks pretty good should that be the case, which surprises me at such high mileage.

Tillson has ridden his PC, though not an S model, for many thousands of miles and only recently replaced the motor for a second-hand unit if I remember correctly. His advice on this one could be useful if he sees the thread before the sale ends but he probably has better things to do on a Sunday morning, speaking of which.......

Tom

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I think Tilson bought one of the many Panasonic batteries that German eBay has listed at a good price a little while ago too. I think they may be pattern. He said he was pleased with it.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I think so too. Not sure it was a great time to sell it. But having said that some other items on eBay in fields I am interested in are fetching no money at all right now. Just before Christmas and a real economy at ground level not in great shape I imagine.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Did you sell it here or somewhere else?
Tilson brought it in the end, although it was also advertised on 50C I Only had one offer so it was that or keep the bike getting in the way & collecting dust.
Anywho, I have my Cube now and no looking back :cool:

Reactions: damian

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Sorry, just seen this. As some have said, my 26Volt Pro Connect has about 23000 miles on it now. The original motor failed last year, I think, time flies. At 15000 miles the bike on ebay could be in the zone for a motor failure.

I bought a new 18 Ah battery for my bike at the same time that I replaced the motor. It's branded Ebike Vision and is made in Germany. I've had it about a year (I think) and it's still performing as well it did when new. I bought the rapid charger that's available too, and that allows the battery to be charged on the bike. Externally it seems very well made and robust. In fact the plastic seems more durable than that of the original battery, which is still useful at 8 years old! Here is the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-BIKE-VISION-Power-Pack-Akku-Ersatzakku-18-Ah-Panasonic-26V-Mittelmotor-eBike-/261896407369?hash=item3cfa3e0949:g:yO8AAOSwMmBV1daN

I think £300 ish is about right for a second hand Kalkhoff of that age & mileage. Incidentally, there seems to be a few motors on ebay too. With it being an S model it could be a bargain.

I still think the early Panasonic Kalkhoffs are some of the best ebikes ever made. They are just about indestructible and parts are available without too much searching.

Last edited: