What does a flat battery feel ike?

Salad Dodger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 18, 2011
North Kent
My wife's (only a few week old) Powacycle has a lithium polymer battery with three indicator lights on it.

3 light up when fully charged.

After maybe 6 or 8 miles it's down to 2 lights on the battery.

After about 10 or 12 miles it's down to 1 light on the battery, but by that stage the motor assistance is cutting in and out. I can only describe it as feeling like a car engine with an intermittent misfire.

Is this how e-bikes typically go when the battery is approaching flat? Or does it suggest there may be a fault?

I had imagined that the motor would just keep working normally until the battery was nearly flat, at which point assistance would just stop... but maybe I have assumed wrongly about this.

Can any more experienced riders offer an opinion, please?

Thank you

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Its typical, as the load of the motor is applied the voltage of the battery dips below the low voltage cutoff (LVC)and either the battery management system (BMS) or the controller cuts power. The battery recovers just enough for power to be reapplied and then cuts again under load...the LVC is there to protect the battery from over discharge.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
My wife's (only a few week old) Powacycle has a lithium polymer battery with three indicator lights on it.

3 light up when fully charged.

After maybe 6 or 8 miles it's down to 2 lights on the battery.

After about 10 or 12 miles it's down to 1 light on the battery, but by that stage the motor assistance is cutting in and out. I can only describe it as feeling like a car engine with an intermittent misfire.

Is this how e-bikes typically go when the battery is approaching flat? Or does it suggest there may be a fault?

I had imagined that the motor would just keep working normally until the battery was nearly flat, at which point assistance would just stop... but maybe I have assumed wrongly about this.

Can any more experienced riders offer an opinion, please?

Thank you
Is your wifes bike the Powacycle Windsor ?
I have had one for 3 years nearly now and it still does approx 25 miles before the battery starts to cut in and out, last week on the Tissington trail in derbyshire I did 32 miles and it still hadnt completely flattened, so I would suspect it is a fault as although not a bike with the best range in the world, it should be certainly doing much much better than that.........

Lynda

Salad Dodger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 18, 2011
North Kent
Thanks for your replies folks.

Yes, it is a Windsor, and although we are neither of us the most slim or athletic of people, I would have thought that the battery should last a bit more than it does.

I will contact the shop to seek their opinion.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Even if that was how it was designed to perform it would be unacceptable. I'm sure the shop will say it is faulty.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On the Windsor and Salisbury models you should definitely expect 20 to 27 miles, depending on territory and your fitness.