What gauge and type of wire to use for main power

TheBikeMan

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
Cardff UK
Hi,
What gauge and type of wire are you guys using for the main power and for the cable for your C- P- B- from your BMS when you rebuild batteries?
It seems every time I open and older battery there is a different size wire in them.
Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Depends on the cell amp rating and the controller rating/amp draw.
Using thicker rated wire is for safety as it will run cooler and prevent bottle necks when a load is asked.

For P- & B - I use 14awg ( about 45a rating) and also the same on + connections, though you could use 16awg (about 32a rating).
For C- & C+ I use 22awg (7.5a rating) as my charge rate is never more then 2.3a.
If considering fast charging using 4 - 8a then consider 20awg ( 14a rating) for C wiring.

Some BMS come with tails soldered on the board so I extend these if need be.
For sensing I use 22/24awg.

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Depends on the cell amp rating and the controller rating/amp draw.
Using thicker rated wire is for safety as it will run cooler and prevent bottle necks when a load is asked.

For P- & B - I use 14awg ( about 45a rating) and also the same on + connections, though you could use 16awg (about 32a rating).
For C- & C+ I use 22awg (7.5a rating) as my charge rate is never more then 2.3a.
If considering fast charging using 4 - 8a then consider 20awg ( 14a rating) for C wiring.

Some BMS come with tails soldered on the board so I extend these if need be.
For sensing I use 22/24awg.
Do you have a favourite supplier Neal ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do you have a favourite supplier Neal ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, If I need any I just use a supplier off ebay for silicone awg. I have used HK when buying lipo but no longer use them at all.

Advertisers