What if it’s stolen?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
if I buy a second hand bike (Bosch) and it needs to go back to a dealer for any reason, would the dealer know if it’s stolen when it’s plugged into the diagnostics?
I don’t want to buy a stolen bike but you can’t be 100% sure

My reasons for asking.
A Victoria eUrban 11.8 E-Bike has been advised locally at a good price (£1700) and I’ve been on the lookout for a bike that my sister can use to join me on my rides.
She can’t really justify an expensive bike only for ”nice days” perhaps once a week in the summer but as I’m riding 3 times a week throughout the year (just for the fun of it) I thought of buying myself another bike that uses the same Bosch battery as my Cube.
A second bike would give me a spare battery doubling my range for when I’m riding solo and a bike my sister can use when we both go out.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
An original buyers receipt as proof of purchase.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
An original buyers receipt as proof of purchase.
Obviously,
I had a hell of a job finding the receipt for the last bike I sold after 3 years of ownership (I found it in the end).
When the bike is second or even third hand the paper work isn’t always available.
Good will and a 100% seller isn’t a guarantee that someone else hasn't been duped.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
A second bike would give me a spare battery doubling my range for when I’m riding solo and a bike my sister can use when we both go out.
I have two Bosch bikes each with the 500wh battery, however I have not tried swapping the battery packs over. I mentioned to the bike shop that it would be handy for long rides up in the mountains I would be able to take a spare battery pack with me. They told me to be careful, they had heard of several customers that had done this and had trouble that meant they had to re-install the software from Bosch for the customers.

I have not tried since they told me this, but I am sure I have read on the forums here that other people have swapped over batteries without any problems, but I don't really want to take the risk.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Some stolen ebikes that I have seen seem to be quiet cheap to get rid of them quickly and don't come with a battery / charger / display.

This seller could have done their homework and be selling a stolen bike or it is genuine.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
I have two Bosch bikes each with the 500wh battery, however I have not tried swapping the battery packs over. I mentioned to the bike shop that it would be handy for long rides up in the mountains I would be able to take a spare battery pack with me. They told me to be careful, they had heard of several customers that had done this and had trouble that meant they had to re-install the software from Bosch for the customers.

I have not tried since they told me this, but I am sure I have read on the forums here that other people have swapped over batteries without any problems, but I don't really want to take the risk.
I've got 3 that I swap the batteries between with no ill effects, 2 x 2018 and a 2017. I did also have a 2014 400Wh battery pack that used to get swapped as well, with no problems. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

zakventis

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
UK - Wales - Monmouth
They told me to be careful, they had heard of several customers that had done this and had trouble that meant they had to re-install the software from Bosch for the customers.
I have two Treks, both with 500W Bosch batteries and have been swapping them for the past 2 years without any problem.

• Informative

Headshok

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2018
Swindon
I brought a 400W from a chap in Switzerland, and I can swap back and forth no issues, when you log on to Ebike Connect it saves and lists the Serial numbers of the Battery, Motor and the display - So theoretically it would easy to report stolen parts, but if Bosch bike shop software works with a alerts system ( like Border Control does in the Movies) I would be very surprised!

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013

I was also warned about this by a Haibike dealer last year when I was looking at buying.
I bought two Giant bikes which I interchange batteries without problem.
Maybe it's something that only affects recent models. I presume the Haibike dealer I spoke to was telling the truth as he knew it was going to cost him the sale of two bikes.

• Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
When mine was stolen I had the idea that if the stolen bike details could be added to a database of sorts that could be checked against, or a flag added for service access. Whist this may seem unfair on the buyer who stands to loosesome money, theft is massively unfair on the victim who has likely lost a ship load of money.