What is a reasonable mileage/lifespan for brand-name pedals?

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've bought quite a few sets of Shimano single-sided pedals, and I'm replacing them every time for exactly the same reason: bearing failure in the right-hand side. They get "crunchy", both in terms of their feel and how they sound! I would guess this is because I am right-foot dominant and so this one is wearing more quickly than the left.

I am doing around 2,500 miles per year, on a KTM Action Macina MTB. I'm 90% on road but I do like to take the bike for a fairly lightweight off-road session in forest and parkland. I think this usage is pretty moderate, as it goes!

Now, I say "quite a few" sets since I can't remember how often I replace them, and I should keep better records. So I am wondering for people here, how often do you experience bearing failure, and is there a brand you recommend? I like the flat-cleated combination; the idea is to encourage me to practice using cycling shoes even though it doesn't happen very often. But I'd be willing to try another brand if the consensus is that Shimano don't make very good pedals :)

(In fairly related news, my console tells me I've just gone past 5,000 miles on this bike, yay).

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm not sure what it is about the M530 pedals, but like you, I have also got through two sets because of bearing failure. I guess that I got about 2,000 miles out of each set.

These days I use Shimano Deore XT and XTR Race clipless, and all seems very good with them. One set I got free from Chain Reaction, and one set half price for Chain Reaction.

• Informative
Reactions: halfer

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im on my 3rd set of peddles and just have some cheap 1s now as last 2 sets was 60 quid each broke bent 1 hitting a bollard and damaged the other in another crash.

if they were under warranty id have sent them back if the bearings failed 1 side.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
We run Shimano Saint DH pedals on most our bikes and never had to service them in 5 years of granite grit mud...two of the bikes also run Nukeproof Proton pedals and they seem pretty sturdy, rock strikes don't snap the hardened 8mm pins and again, they seem to run forever...they're platform flats though with no spd/clipin

Last edited:
Reactions: grldtnr

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
im on my 3rd set of peddles and just have some cheap 1s now as last 2 sets was 60 quid each broke bent 1 hitting a bollard and damaged the other in another crash.

if they were under warranty id have sent them back if the bearings failed 1 side.
Get some Saints SW...£35 from CRC...you'll thank me at a later date:D

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Glad this has come up as I have an understanding issue.
I use mtb cleat pedals, Shimano but don't know exact moddle but they have been fine for 4 years. They stay in all the time and pop out nicely when I twist my foot but are all rusty now.
Recently bought some lightweight boardman shiny ones for the road bike and they are a pain in the bum. I have slackened the allen screw right off and still they don't want to clip out so had a few near does at traffic lights. Me foot twists ok and they sort of half come out but i have to really yank my foot up to clear the pedal. Was going to buy some new ones but I don't understand the problem I have and how to fix it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks for the replies so far everyone, and it's reassuring that it's not just me with the bearing issues, Eddie. :D

Having done a bit more research I find there aren't many clip/flat alternatives to choose from, though a set that I might look at are the Double Shot pedals from Crank Brothers. They are twice the price (~£60) but if they lasted 5,000 miles of my kind of usage they'd be worth it. I am not sure how to work out, though, whether they have the same cleat type as the A530s - any ideas, anyone?

There's also this Wellgo R120B set, and they seem to be fairly well-received in the customer reviews. They're going for £22 presently but are normally £40, which reassures me somewhat - I don't want cheapies that will fall apart after 500 miles.

Of course I should probably switch to flats and then I'd have loads of choice, but part of me wants to practice with SPDs in the park, even I don't get any benefit in my usual stop-start urban environment.

---

Edit: ah, the Shimano A530s have a two year warranty, the CB Double Shots have five! Which partly explains the price differential, I guess.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: grldtnr

paul20v

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2015
Wellgo b52s here
Ive had them since 2010 now on 3 different bikes
They have got to have done over 6k easy
Still run smooth with on and off road use
They are looking pretty shot mind you :)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just checked mine and they are Shimano M-520. Been on this bike for 3 years (4000 Miles) and on 2 previous bikes before that .. Well worn and rusty but no play in bearings...M-520.jpg

Last edited:

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Phill, I have had similar problems in the past caused by worn cleats with new pedals. Having a couple of bikes with Shimano m520s and 2 pairs of shoes (summer and waterproof winter) it can be a real pain.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Actually I don't have a problem with these. My problem is with the lightweight boardman ones I bought for my road bike. Reading this thread has made me stop procrastinating and I have just ordered 2 pairs from halfords at £18 each. One for the road bike and one to replace the rusty ones..