What is the state of the recumbent e-bike market?

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I was unlocking my KTM e-bike the other day, and an older gentleman stopped to admire it. We had a nice chat, and he said that he had difficulty getting about, and would be interested in whether motorised transport might be able to help him too. He walks with a stick, quite slowly.

He said he was aware of "three-wheeler" bikes, and he said he'd not at all be bothered if people thought it was an odd mode of transport. It sounded like a recumbent bike or trike would suit him, with electric power of course.

So I offered to do some research for him - he's not quite made it to the internet yet! He is based in the Birmingham area. Are there any sellers in the Midlands - or perhaps on here - that have some e-recumbent/e-trike knowledge? However if he would have to travel further to see some bikes, I don't think it would necessarily be a problem. What I'd like to do is to gather up some useful information, and telephone him with what I have found.

He could perhaps consider one of those "golf-buggy" style carriers, but they're probably not as fun :D

D

Deleted member 4366

I sorted a three-wheeler for a woman I met ouside Asda. It was one of those Chinese upright ones. I was looking at it, when she came out. She said she liked it apart from the brakes didn't work and it made a quacking noise. She lived near me so I offered to sort it for her. A little oil up the axle cured the quacking that was cause by the bearing vibrating and transmitting the noise through the mudguard like a loudspeaker, and the brakes just needed adjusting. She lived on an estate, where every road was a steep hill, but this thing seemed to get up the hills easily without her pedalling. The quality didn't look fantastic, but for anyone able to do adjustments and slight fixes, one could be a good solution.

It was one of these - around £1300 and perfect for shopping. The 20" wheels keep the C of G low to resist toppling.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Trikes and Bikes in Sutton Coldfield is worth a call. We recently donated them a decent framed 20" trike with a battery issue that we'd been given which they may have sorted by now...

Reactions: flecc

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Marvellous, thanks @d8veh. That's the sort of thing. I don't think I've ever seen them on sale, but then I guess I'm not the target market!

Thanks Bob and Benjahmin for the links, I'll take a look.

Edit: this from T&B looks similar to the picture above.

Last edited:

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
C

Cyclezee

Here's an interesting one. Although since Cyclezee retired, I don't know if there's a UK dealer.

http://ezeebike.com/gallery/longabike-2/
Hi Ben,

Although eZee haven't appointed a new UK importer they will be exhibiting at the London Bike Show in February next year http://thelondonbikeshow.co.uk
The bikes etc. for the exhibition are going to be shipped to me and I will be taking them to the Excel.
I don't know at this stage if the Longabike will be one of them, but if some one is seriously interested in getting one in the UK you can send an email to Wai Won Ching ezeebike@gmail.com

If anyone want's the adventure of a lifetime you can sign up for the Sun Trip 2018 from Lyon, France to Guangzhou, China.
19397154_319154978509654_2009078676276440582_n.jpg
Wai Won Ching is participating personally on a Longabike (shown above with the solar panel) and eZee have a package whereby you can buy a Longabike and it will be shipped to Lyon then after reaching Guangzhou it can be shipped back to your home country.
https://www.thesuntrip.com/sun-trip-2018/lyon-canton-en/

Reactions: flecc

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
View attachment 21999 Another eZee powered epic.
http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/sam-mitchell-epic-solar-cyclist-is-geographic-societys-young-adventurer-2017-20171030-gzbjnc

Sam was pulling 380 kgs across the great desert in Australia. Man of steel and the eZee drives system. Sam used a dual motor eZee e-REX Fat bike with front and rear wheel drive. It’s a serious tough bike with 20,000 km now.
Just as an aside, one of my 14ah rack batteries is getting very tired now.
I know Jimmy at Insat can re-cell them, but can I still get a replacement 'of the shelf' if I want one sometime?
Thinking of the freight restrictions with batteries now.

Regards
Tony

C

Cyclezee

Just as an aside, one of my 14ah rack batteries is getting very tired now.
I know Jimmy at Insat can re-cell them, but can I still get a replacement 'of the shelf' if I want one sometime?
Thinking of the freight restrictions with batteries now.

Regards
Tony
Hi Tony, eZee can ship a battery direct by airfreight in a week or so, for details and prices send an email to ezeebike@gmail.com
N.B. the eZee FP 36v batteries are available in various capacities 11ah, 15ah and 19ah. The FP is also available with 48v.

If you decide to go go the re celling route, Jimmy is the best, I would not trust anyone else in the UK;)

Best regards,

Reactions: falmouthtony