Review What is your hub 'freewheel' time? Rolling resistance comparison

Carbon.

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 24, 2020
I am only familiar with the mxus and bafang, but with them, the clutch is between the planetary gear triangular body/carrier and the axle. During motor freewheeling (unpowered) , the motor pinion is stationary, the whole triangular planetary gear body which is normally locked to the axle now spins and the planetary gears must also spin (load-less) as they are between the stationary motor pinion (sun gear) and the moving outer ring gear on the hub.
Which Bafang model have you used?
I consider buying Bafang rear model but their availability is really poor.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Ah....But you need to compare 'like with like' as regards the weight/size of the tyre and rim. A hub fitted with a large and heavy 29"tyre will have a greater 'flywheel effect' than a smaller lightweigh 16" wheel on a Brampton, so should spin for longer.
Yes - but another important variable is the force applied to spinning the wheel in the first place.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
We talking about very low levels of energy here, even in the worst case. The kinetic energy (momentum) in the wheel will be about 50 joules and in Carbon's bike, it depletes over 19 seconds. The energy loss in this example is about 2.5 joules/sec or 2.5 watts. However this loss takes place over a variable reducing speed range and I would double this figure to 5 watts in the case of someone having to make a one hour cycle home at 25km/hr with no battery or power. The average cyclist in this case would need a leg output of perhaps 200watts so adding the front hub unpowered represents a 2.5% loss of pedal power.

Last edited:

Advertisers