What kits can be fitted to a road bike.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
The racing road bikes, with drop bars..... Are they suitable or even capable to take a kit ok ?
Anyone on here done one ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Depends on what you are trying to achieve if you are very light and a fit road biker then its probably not worth the effort other wise no reason why not only difference as you say are handle bars. Easiest and probably neatest option is a BBS01 ( GSM is in its teething stage and hasn't got the reliability with time as the BBS has) with the sleeker looking HL/08 battery or as Mfj197 has done lipo's in a saddle bag. Take a look as the Woosh Karoo put drops on that and you would be away. If you were a light rider and was after a lighter kit then you could try a Q75 @1.2kgs in the front or One of the Q1OO's depending on the version you can get 201/260 or 328rpm.

Reactions: Yamdude

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I like the look of those lightweight kits. Bookmarked for future.
On a roadbike, many of which are ultra-light nowadays, these little motors provide ample power and as they are not needed all the time, overall mileage from the battery can be pretty good.

Hills and headwinds are the bits that hurt and that's where these lightweight kits come into their own. My comments are based on the Cytronex powered bike I own which utilises the not dissimilar Tongxin motor and some commentators say the Keyde product is better.

Given that most owners of lightweight road bikes are hard pedallers anyway, such a bike will fly up hills with the extra power provided by what is a very unobtrusive motor.

Tom

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Depends on what you are trying to achieve if you are very light and a fit road biker then its probably not worth the effort other wise no reason why not only difference as you say are handle bars. Easiest and probably neatest option is a BBS01 ( GSM is in its teething stage and hasn't got the reliability with time as the BBS has) with the sleeker looking HL/08 battery or as Mfj197 has done lipo's in a saddle bag. Take a look as the Woosh Karoo put drops on that and you would be away. If you were a light rider and was after a lighter kit then you could try a Q75 @1.2kgs in the front or One of the Q1OO's depending on the version you can get 201/260 or 328rpm.
I'm not that fit or that young..... and my slight disabilities dont get any better.
But i recently bought a new Giant Defy 5 on a bit of a whim.

A) because it was a real bargain price and B) I thought it would be a nice change to have a lightweight unassisted bike to ride occasionally. I may well still keep it as that, or i may decide it needs just a bit of assistance on occasions.
Having not rode a race bike with drops since i was a teenager some 40 yrs ago, its surprisingly comfortable.
Still trying to make up my mind what to do with it and was interested in the possibilities of a conversion.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
On a roadbike, many of which are ultra-light nowadays, these little motors provide ample power and as they are not needed all the time, overall mileage from the battery can be pretty good.

Hills and headwinds are the bits that hurt and that's where these lightweight kits come into their own. My comments are based on the Cytronex powered bike I own which utilises the not dissimilar Tongxin motor and some commentators say the Keyde product is better.

Given that most owners of lightweight road bikes are hard pedallers anyway, such a bike will fly up hills with the extra power provided by what is a very unobtrusive motor.

Tom
Yes, a lightweight unobtrusive kit would be the way to go if i decide to convert it.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I can see why you hesitate. That Defy 5 is a beauty, if you've got it new, a bit too nice to be converted.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I can see why you hesitate. That Defy 5 is a beauty, if you've got it new, a bit too nice to be converted.
Yes, i'll probably give it another month or so before i decide one way or another.
For an Alu frame and forks its a surprisingly smooth ride, and the endurance frame geometry gives it a more relaxed riding position. I've also reversed the stem so the top of the bars are level with my seat.
For anyone interested Rutland Cycling are doing them brand new for £300 with free delivery.... plus the HAVE6 code takes another £6 off, then if you go through Topcashback or Quidco you get another £7.50 back.
So for £286.50, i consider it a bit of a billy bargain.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/284979/products/2015-giant-defy-5-road-bike-black-silver-red.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQiAyIayBRDo4vjdqJrgxZ0BEiQAhOYCYCA43aZQz2l7v8oXviVHuiMRQtMhoaDdKBso-it-x-YaAlJ48P8HAQ

Reactions: oldtom

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I may be wrong but I thought there was some sort of drive unit that fit in the downtube and helped to drive the pedals, or is that the result of some strange dream I had

gray

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
For anyone interested Rutland Cycling are doing them brand new for £300 with free delivery.... plus the HAVE6 code takes another £6 off, then if you go through Topcashback or Quidco you get another £7.50 back.
So for £286.50, i consider it a bit of a billy bargain.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/284979/products/2015-giant-defy-5-road-bike-black-silver-red.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQiAyIayBRDo4vjdqJrgxZ0BEiQAhOYCYCA43aZQz2l7v8oXviVHuiMRQtMhoaDdKBso-it-x-YaAlJ48P8HAQ
That's what is commonly referred to as, 'A right result, guvnor!'

Tom

C

Cyclezee

Hi Yamdude,

Nice bike a would be a shame to make it ugly and heavy.
If you have very very deep pockets Vivax assist would be the way to go.

Reactions: oldtom and Yamdude

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Hi Yamdude,

Nice bike a would be a shame to make it ugly and heavy.
I just Googled the Vivax Assist, its obviously what grey198 was thinking of.
Looks an interesting and ingenious motor.... but too much coin for me.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Brilliant concept but I'm disappointed, though not surprised, to read that it's noisy. The price, to which you rightly allude, does limit the potential market demographic somewhat. Nevertheless, it's a system that may well benefit from further development in the future though power output is unlikely to be increased much due to the, (I'd guess), commensurate weight increase and space limitations.

A laudable alternative just the same!

Tom