What panniers for rear rack with integrated battery?

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
Having just got a wonder new new Woosh Santana (more anon) I need recommendations for suitable panniers. Neither my trusty Carradice nor my Alturas will fit as the rack tubes are too thick and the clearance between rack and battery is insufficient. What bag or bags would go over the rear rack safely without falling off and allow enough storage for a laptop, change of clothes, a few tools, rain gear and a D lock? Must be reasonable capacity through not looking at long distance trekking style capacity. Willing to spend extra for decent quality as bags likely to get abused but not looking designer or silly money.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Hi, you need bags like this:
There are many makes, Basil seem to have a good reputation.
We've got Basil panniers on our tandem. Very good and very reasonably priced. However, space is quite limited. The rigid design means no worry about floppy corners of a pannier getting caught in spokes, but does limit the ability to stuff more and more in. Also the straps are absurdly short so that if the pannier is filled so the top won't fit down you can't engage the straps.

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
Thanks - I've seen double panniers that are permanently connected to each other but wonder how practical they are? Thinking ease of carrying when off the back. Also do you have to just drape them over the rack or can you secure them so they don't slide off?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I bought some QR panniers a few years ago and they came with three different size inserts for different size pannier rack tubing, the inserts for the pannier QR clips covered popular sizing 8 -15mm.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Thanks - I've seen double panniers that are permanently connected to each other but wonder how practical they are? Thinking ease of carrying when off the back.
Ours are permanently on the bike. They would be inconvenient to carry, especially if full. Also fixing the securing straps is a bit fiddly; easy enough but not something I'd want to repeat regularly. If you wantto take them off regularly don't go for these.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
It seems to be a universal problem (with rear pannier racks employing integrated batteries) in that there is not enough space between the battery and carrier tubes to take the hooks on standard clip-on panniers like Ortleib, Altura and so on.

This issue is not solved by having different hook inserts (as mentioned in post #6 above) as it is the lack of space between the battery and the carrier bars that prevent the back of the pannier hooks from engaging over said bars.

I know that the two-piece-throw-over panniers are favoured by some, but for those who like to be able to clip/unclip their panniers regularly, the design of these rear racks is a real pain.

Maybe someone in the trade like @Woosh has an answer?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that happens quite often when you have Click fix panniers.
the solution is usually shave off / file down a bit of red plastic from the hooks.
I have some pictures - I'll post them if I can find them.

Reactions: Bikes4two