what shoes to buy

Burroo67

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2020
Clydebank
Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a pair of decent cycling shoes for my e-bike journeys. I am looking to flat pedal shoes as I have been advised to stay away from cleats by a good mate who is a keen cyclist. Does anyone have any ideas please, I quite like the look of the SHIMANO SH-ET5 E-Bike Shoes but am worried about the sizing?

Thanks

Brian

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I don't know if this site will help:
,You might be able to buy Shimano shoes (Shimano touring shoes, MT range, MT301 etc) in the same style and save yourself some money.
Some people go up a size in Shimano shoes, buy your size and 1 size bigger, return the ones that don't fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyBike

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
I use these.

With these

My feet are size 8.5 and the clan size 9 feels a tight fit but its because the clan shoes are quite 'flat'. That is, they are wider than they are tall. I didn't like this at first but I soon realised it works pretty well with the shoes fitting well when pedaling hard rather than getting misshapen by the shearing force when you pedal.

The pedals are quite big and the combination with the Clan shoes gives excellent grip. I've had no slippage in even the wettest weather. I did add amber reflective tape to the pedals to meet the legal requirement to have reflectors after dark.

Darren

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
If you want something for all year commuting then probably best to look outside canvas upper materials or be prepared to use waterproof sprays often. Oneal, Five Ten, ride concepts are all decent flat pedal shoes with treads that will give good grip on the pedals, whether they be jagged edge or pin type MTB pedals. Etnies also do some models in PU type uppers, but their sole design might not be quite as grippy on the pedals

ONeal Pinned Pro come in a PU upper so easy to keep clean and waterproof (also have a cuff at the ankle for crank protection and helps keep the ankle area a little warmer).

If you want to look outside cycling flats, adidas Terrex trainers come in versions with goretex, and even the age old Stan Smith trainers can be had in PU/leather uppers for a bit more rain/wet protection.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With mtb/cycle footwear I always buy at least one size larger for fit other wise they all feel tight, for winter wear with thermal socks or two pairs socks I go two sizes larger.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For winter riding feet will chill quicker if too tight a fit, also and avantage for warm feet is to wear over shoe covers for added warmth /comfort.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
an alternative to dedicate cycling shoes
For summer/dry conditions I use cheap fell running shoes, the soles have an exaggerated tread pattern that grips the pedals well and for cold/wet/winter conditions I use Lidl’s waterproof walking boots.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What's wrong with Aldi trainers at about £15 a pair? I must have done 10,000 miles with them. They work fine. I wear them everyday for everything - gardening, lounging, cycling, watching TV, working on my computer, driving - and they last at least two years. In fact I didn't even buy my last pair. My friend's wife gave them to me when he died.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
The advantage of buying boots from Lidl & Aldi is you can try both on together then test them for high speed running ;)

Pearcey

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 9, 2018
For my e bike I use decent walking shoes. For my normal bikes I use cleats. Wouldn’t do without them to be honest.

medsarko8

Just Joined
Nov 25, 2021
As strange as it may sound, I've never been comfortable cycling in bike shoes. Maybe I chose the wrong models, but all of them made my feet tired, and after a couple of kilometers, it was easier to get off the bike and walk. I realized that no shoes were more comfortable for me than tennis shoes. Virtually all models pay a vast amount of attention to ankle support and lateral support. My feet feel great in them. I found the website https://www.tennisshoez.com/best-tennis-shoes-men-women/ where you can see the rating of the best women's sneakers. Perhaps there will be someone like me who finds cycling shoes uncomfortable.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
As strange as it may sound, I've never been comfortable cycling in bike shoes. Maybe I chose the wrong models, but all of them made my feet tired, and after a couple of kilometers, it was easier to get off the bike and walk. I realized that no shoes were more comfortable for me than tennis shoes. Virtually all models pay a vast amount of attention to ankle support and lateral support. My feet feel great in them. I found the website https://www.tennisshoez.com/best-tennis-shoes-men-women/where you can see the rating of the best women's sneakers. Perhaps there will be someone like me who finds cycling shoes uncomfortable.
I had a different footwear problem, which is trying to keep warm, dry feet during long days in Scotland in October and November...

In dry warm conditions I wear - yes, really! - a pair of Crocs. Other rubbery clog like shoes are available. They have ventilation, and are non-absorbent, and although widely regarded as an unfashionable bygone trend, they work! I'm way beyond the age when I care about what the audience is thinking!

My best answer so far in the wet is even more out there - I wear my old work wellies with over trousers over the tops. I know nothing else that will keep my feet dry so well.

So wear what works for you and be proud of it.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I wear my old work wellies with over trousers over the tops. I know nothing else that will keep my feet dry so well.
That was my choice when I was a commuter. Very snug, and my commute (5 slowish miles) wasn't long enough for lack of ventilation to be an issue. Wellies work well with large size half toe-clips.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I always liked loose toe clips in the past. At the beginning of lockdown a mate gave me an exercise bike with hybrid cleat/flat pedals on it. Swapped them onto my ebike, drilled and tapped studs on the plain side and then got a pair of s/h mtb clipless shoes off eBay. Most impressed. Tweaked the release so it's to my liking, they disengage easily with an outward flick of the heel.
I then got a call from Carers Support, they wanted to give me a £250 grant for myself (unpaid carer for swmbo), so just got myself a pair of Shimano XM9 walking boots with cleats. I've tried them over the last few days, for walking and cycling, I think they are great. Warm feet, grippy in the snow, solid on the pedals. I put the rest of the dosh towards a Brookes 67 saddle. Happy with that too.

MontyPhoun73

Just Joined
Jul 29, 2022
Hey Brian! I found that for e-bikes, it's best to go with flat pedal shoes. I also liked the look of the SHIMANO SH-ET5 E-Bike Shoes but was worried about the sizing. I advise you to head to your local bike shop and try on a few pairs of shoes until you find the perfect fit. And if you're still worried about the sizing, ask the staff for help. They should be able to point you in the right direction. Surprisingly I found out that these boots from https://rockroosterfootwear.com/collections/ak-australian-collection perfectly fit me. You won't know what's best for you until you try putting on some of them.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
I have Gola "Belmont" trainers for cycling -
Velcro fastenings so no laces to catch in the chain.
Comfortable both cycling and walking.
The soles conform to studded MTB pedals so feel really secure.
And - they don't cost a fortune (as opposed to most "cycling shoes").

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I use Clarks leather shoes.

They are about the only shoe manufacturer who does the extra wide fittings that I need for comfort.

Expensive at full price, but every few years (they last a while) I pick up a pair half price in the January sales.