Help! What the rules in London for non foldable ebike conversion kit

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
What is the dvla rules for non foldable ebike conversion kit and what happens if caught?

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
It depends on what kit. 15.5mph should be fine and if you want to go fast, then get a moped.
Riding an ebike of any type that you've illegally modified isnt probably going to bring you into the eyes of the law simply riding along, but if you are in an accident with a pedestrian, then its you're own concern that you modified it illegally so man up and take whatever punishment they give you, which will likely be exacerbated by the fact you've illegally modified it.
Even if it was a pedestrians fault, wandering into the road not looking, because you have an illegal modification, you will become instantly liable.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Nor sure what's behind this question.
If the kit assistance is speed limited to 15.5mph, and the motor is stamped at 250w, then it is a legal kit. Doesn't matter if it's folding or not, in of out of London. If a 17A 36vcontroller is fitted this would give 612watts max, this also is legal.
If a throttle is fitted then, to be sure, it should only act when pedalling (though the law is sketchy on this where kits are concerned).
DVLA not involved antwhere with a eapc (elecrically assisted pedal cycle).
So what is your question actually?

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
I thought I had to register with dvsa since I got the 1000w mid drive but let's say I use the 1000w and I'm currently going under 12mph and I get stopped by a police officer what would they say or do ?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I thought I had to register with dvsa since I got the 1000w mid drive but let's say I use the 1000w and I'm currently going under 12mph and I get stopped by a police officer what would they say or do ?
Yes, for a 1000w drive you legally need to register, insure, etc.
If you don't, the chances are very high that if you are stopped the police won't do anything; and if you are going at 12mph the chance of being stopped in the first place is very very low. As mentioned above, the most likely risk is if you are involved in an accident, in which case the police may look much more carefully.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Do you know how to register because I'm really lost on how to do it
Sorry, I can't help on that one, but I'm sure someone who knows will be along soon. From comments on this forum it seems that insurance is difficult too; not that the risks are that high but it is such a small market the insurance companies haven't engaged.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you fit a bike with a motor kit more powerful then a 250w continuous rating or wish to legally ride it and above 25km/h then one has to get the bike essentially MOT'd. One has to present the bike to a MSVA testing centre to be checked and then a certificate issued.
Your issue will be complying with the rules on how the bike should conform, basically it has to be up to moped standards so indicators, proper lights even a brake light, a kick stand etc etc. The effort to do so is not worth the aggro or cost, as well as this one has to then insure it for third party and theft as well as wearing a motorcycle helmet full face or open face.
A testing station will guide you in to what needs to be done for any said bike to pass the inspection, end of the day do you really want such a massive headache.

For speed pedelecs they should have a certificate of conformity which will make the process straight forward but for self builds, a mine field and I think we only have had one person on the forum go through the process some 6 or 7 years ago, the bike looked anything but a normal day use bike.

Tbh just fit and buy a 250w legal rated hub and ride it and have the benefit of a pedalec, a lot of 250w motors can temporary output 500 - 900watts of power so why the need to use a over rated motor ?

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do you know how to register because I'm really lost on how to do it
Your bicycle no longer will be classed as a bicycle, nor can you use pathways or bridleways etc, etc as it would be issued with a number plate that needs to be affixed to the rear .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If they suspect the bike is illegal/over powered they can confiscate it and crush it, you will have no redress no matter the speed. It will all depend on the efficiency and knowledge of the police force, if a traffic cop then they will know the law and may nick you for driving an uninsured and registered moped. Along with riding with no helmet etc,etc.
Likelihood may be rare but could happen.

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike and sjpt

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What is the dvla rules for non foldable ebike conversion kit and what happens if caught?
You need Motorcycle Single Vehicle approval, for a 1000 watt motor if restricted to 15.5 mph maximum assist speed the vehicle class is called L1e-A. If restricted to up to 28mph the vehicle class is called L1e-B.

You'll find all the details you need ON THIS LINK

THE SVA PDF manual gives all the information on the inspectors requirements, you'll find it on ON THIS LINK

But as others have hinted, it really isn't worth all the hassle.

Last edited: