What's the best connector to use on a motor wheel?

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I want to fit a connector to enable easy removal of the motor wheel on my Tongxin bike. The sensorless Tongxin motor makes this an easy thing to do, as there are only three, rather than eight, wires.

There are a few options, but I wondered what others might have used, what worked well and less well.

Favourite at the moment is a mini-XLR, which has the advantage of being small and, I believe, waterproof. I seem to remember that some of the Ezee bikes may have used this on their motor wheels, but can't find any reference to it. I'm also struggling to find any current or voltage ratings for these.

An IEC (kettle) plug would also do, but is a bit bulkier.

Anyone have any recommendations?

johnp

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
ba22
Waterproff plugs

Hi Frank.
the plugs you need are made by Cannon very small plug about the size of a 1pence piece Polevolt of cheshire are having them in in the new year tel.Neil
on 01477 533320

JOHN

C

Cyclezee

I would recommed the connector used by Cytronex. It is by far the best and neatest I have seen and used.

J:) hn

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Thanks John and John,

I'll look into Polevolt; I don't suppose you (John-Aldby) know what the Cytronex one is called by any chance?

Frank

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
I don't want to hijack, but JohnP could you get in touch about your Tongxin kits. Thanks Andy

C

Cyclezee

Thanks John and John,

I'll look into Polevolt; I don't suppose you (John-Aldby) know what the Cytronex one is called by any chance?

Frank
Frank,

Sorry, I don't know what make the Cytronex style connectors are and doubt if Mark of Cytronex would reveal his source for obvious reasons. However he might sell you one if you speak to him nicely.

J:) hn

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Frank,

Be careful with "mini XLR". That particular term gets used loosely and sometimes applied to things that aren't actually mini XLR. There's an advantage in standardising connections if you can do it. I'm using Anderson PowerPoles for the motor and Binder 712's for the Halls. But in your case it would make sense to line up with Cytronex. I don't see the harm to Mark in publishing details of his connector system but if he chooses not to, then a trawl through the Farnell or RS catalogues ought to identify it.

Nick

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Are Powerpoles waterproof enough for using in an exposed position like on the forks? I use them already for connecting battery to motor, and I have some in the garage, so that would be an easy option.

Frank