Whats the difference with these PAS ?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The PAS on the left (KTD12L) is for the left side crank, and when connected to my KT-36ZWSRD-HY02L controller, and the disk is rotatated as for forward, the LED flashes and the motor drives the BAFANG motor rear wheel.

However I want to fit the sensor on the right (FOREN15194 C 2103 DH-SENSOR) to the crank side. But when the sensor is plugged into the controller, nothing happens, the LED does not flash when the magnet disk is rotated past it in either direction and there is no drive to the motor.

With PAS off the bike and on a breadboard connected to a 5V supply, the KTD12L sensor on the left works OK, but the DH-SENSOR on the right does not.

It seems that the DH-SENSOR is somehow electrically different to the KTD12L and perhaps not compatible with the controller.

Can anyone shed a light on this mystery ?

I suspect a KTD12R fitted on the right is one solution, but these only seem to be available from China.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Both should work.
Try changing the PAS value of C1 use 00 -02 or 05 -07. I think your DH means double hall so try 05-07. The V series I think are double hall and this is the value for them.

Instead of fitting the PAS, first up turn bike or use a bike stand. Plug the sensor in and pass the disc by it, try the disc by orienting it both ways. Also one can rotate the sensor 180 degrees as well to try.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As above can you confirm that the make of the Yellow W/P connector are the same brand, brand name should be embossed on the black sleeve.
If one is Julet and one is Higo then no one won't work as both brands use a different wire sequence.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The sensor on the left is handed, though it can work in reverse if you invert the sensor.

The sensor on the right isn't handed. It can work on either side if you install the correct magnet disc the right way up. If you're using the magnet disc that came with it, and it doesn't work, you have a non-matching wiring sequence in the connectors, so cut off the connectors and join the wires in the right sequence.

Always test pedal sensors off the bike before installing so that you know what your installation options are, then test again before re-installing the cranks.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Thanks for the reply.

I have tested the KTD12L with just the sensor plugged into the controller, and waved the magnet disk past it and it works fine. It also works on the breadboard, LED flashes etc. I can clearly see the pulse trace on a scope.

But under the same tests the DH-SENSOR does not work and in fact the LED on it glows dimmly, which to me suggests some sort of power or reverse connection.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You haven't answered the Q about the Yellow WP connectors, are they the same brand ?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
This is how I was testing the PAS off the bike. Plugged into the veroboard is a 5 way Julet female, so it should accept 2pin, 3pin,4pin and 5 pin connectors. I was using a scope to check the pulse output.

The wiring is different, signal and +5v are swapped on the KTD12L (left side) versus the DH-SENSOR (right side).

The DH-SENSOR LED being dim at switch on is normal, the sensor defaults to signal high and LED high at power on whilst the KTD12L defaults to signal low and LED low at power on.

The DH-SENSOR is handed, I did order the one for the right side, and it does only pulse when the magnet disk is rotated forward.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
You haven't answered the Q about the Yellow WP connectors, are they the same brand ?
I did not see you reply whilst I was composing post #5.

The plugs on the controller and the KTD12L PAS are Mutual brand connectors.

The plug on the DH-SENSOR is a JULET, and they are wired differently to the Mutual.

Definetly a gotcha and I dont know how you would find a KTD12L with a Mutual connector on it, or maybe they just all are wired that way.

So if the actual pin wiring on the PAS connector depends on the brand of connector (Julet, HiGo, Mutual) does the same situation exist on the other connectors; brake, controller, throttle, lights ?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Well I finally got the PAS working, I had been much delayed working out where a click in the cranks was coming from.

The DH-SENSOR right side sensor wiring is different to the KTD12R left side sensor. As the PAS needed an extension cable to connect to the controller, I converted the extension into a swapover cable (wiring shown) so I can use a standard sensor as replacement if needed.

The magnet disk on the cranks is shown, but when assembled with a 3mm spacer washer on the right side bearing cup, whilst the magnet disk cleared the sensor the left HollowTech crank was rubbing against the left side bearing cup.

By mounting the PAS sensor metal bracket in a vice I was able to bash the bends on the sensor mount that were rounded to flat sharp corners which then pulled the sensor in effect about 2mm inward. When remounted with only a 1.5mm spacer the left crank was no longer rubbing and the sensor was also just clear of the magnet disk.

An lo, it works for real.

Attachments

Reactions: Bikes4two

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
PANIC Hi can anybody point me to the correct solution?
i have a 12 magnet PAS on the left side behind the chain crank I have ordered a KT controller for a D12L PAS system is my calculation correct do I have a D12L sensor behind the chain crank? is that correct well i hope so its on its way?

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
just realised the crank is on the right ok so will make any difference if my PAS magnet disk and sensor are on the right hand side

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's a C 2103 sensor that does not work directly with a KT controller if it has the moulded connector. If that's what you have, you need to cut the connectors off and join the wires directly in the correct sequence.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Probably ;) just be prepared to try a few different settings and be mindful the pas may not be enabled by default.

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
Just to be clear which option should I have ordered out of the 4 options it gave when ordering the KT controller I've posted photos above