What's the problem with the ebike market?

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
A friend and neighbour is very keen to buy his first ebike. Having tried various makes and models, including my KTM EStyleP and my wife's Freego Eagle, he has decided that the new KTM EStreetP is the bike he wants however it appears there is none to be had. He can't even get an estimated date of when one might be available. Second on his list is the Giant Roam XR E but the availability is the same. While there are other makes of similar spec my friend wants to buy locally if at all possible but as we live in NE Fife he is obviously restricted for choice.

What is the problem with getting these bikes? Is it that not enough are being made or do dealers fail to assess the likely market and not order enough? I know dealers do not want to carry excessive stock however they are obviously losing sales the way things are at present. My friend has been advised that the best way to proceed would be to order the bike he wants - paying up front! - and await delivery, without knowing when this might be. This doesn't seem to be a satisfactory way to conduct business.

Jim

Reactions: rippedupno1

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
We've the entire 2015 range in stock now, he should consider a Kalkhoff or Focus. We pre-order the August before the season begins and have a well-stocked warehouse and large weekly deliveries, as well as bikes to test rides in our showrooms.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Unfortunately the e-bike industry is a victim of its own hype. It's a niche market ,not as big as the hype would suggest , because the market in Germany is huge it has spawned a vast number and choice of e-bike models which are publicised as available in the UK. But the big German and Austrian and to a lesser extent the Chinese bike assemblers expect retailers to place orders in September for delivery in the following February through to June. This is a big gamble for the retailers and only a few are strong enough to make that gamble,the rest hope that they will be able to order against customer pre orders,often these are sold out and the manufacturers sometimes won't make another batch until the following year,hence why sometimes a particular bike is not available.
We have just taken delivery of 4 KTM Macina Bold bikes,ordered September last year,these will be sold in 2 weeks,not sure we can get anymore.
It is surprising to comment that bikes are fashionable items and customers tastes vary each year,if you read this forum....one year crank drive is preferred,next year it's hub drive.....one year the bike of choice is Sports style with Bosch drive,then everyone seems to want step thru with Shimano Steps,only months later it's lightweight,only months later people prefer heavy bikes with big batteries,then it's light commuter style.
Unfortunately the market is just not big enough to hold the variety of styles,sizes,types that the market needs,in Germany the larger market makes this much easier.
We are currently holding over 400 bikes,350 Kudos and 50 KTM....I suspect that is one of the largest stocks in the UK,but we still get caught out and cannot satisfy every enquiry.
We have several KTM e-street P bikes in stock,both at Whitstable and in our London dealer,what size is needed?
Each dealer keeps his own stocks but has access to the KTM Austria stock holding,if a particular dealer hasn't the bike in stock and KTM have nil reserve stock,it is necessary to ring round the dealers until you find one.
Trust that answers your question.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the problem is volume. The big brands like KTM and Giant have their UK distributors who may have planned to buy x KTM EStreetP and y Giant Roam XR E for 2015, when x and y are sold out, the dealers can't get any more stock.
x and y can be quite modest numbers, much less than 100.

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
the problem is volume. The big brands like KTM and Giant have their UK distributors who may have planned to buy x KTM EStreetP and y Giant Roam XR E for 2015, when x and y are sold out, the dealers can't get any more stock.
x and y can be quite modest numbers, much less than 100.
Maybe for some Trex, but not Kudos Bikes or us and proabably a few others Our order with KTM is significant and planned in advance to hopefully serve as many customers as possible.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Thanks KudosDave and LEBC Tom,
He's looking for a 51 cm bike, same as my own. He's away for a few days but I'll certainly let him know if that size is available. Unfortunately it would still mean buying at a distance rather than local, which is where future problems could arise as I found out to my cost with my Rose BionX bike which had to go back to Germany several times before I parted company with it.

Jim

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
Hi Jim,

Thats a pain I have to admit re distance. I and KTM UK (Col at Fli) would work with a local bike shop to your Brother if there was a general component issue on the bike. The electrics pose a different issue under warranty as we'd need the bike back to sort that. Its easy for me to say nothing will go wrong with a KTM but there's always the exception of course. All I can say is I have that size in stock and can offer a service after the sale although at a distance.

Regards,
Tom

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Hi Jim,

Thats a pain I have to admit re distance. I and KTM UK (Col at Fli) would work with a local bike shop to your Brother if there was a general component issue on the bike. The electrics pose a different issue under warranty as we'd need the bike back to sort that. Its easy for me to say nothing will go wrong with a KTM but there's always the exception of course. All I can say is I have that size in stock and can offer a service after the sale although at a distance.

Regards,
Tom
Thanks Tom, it's my neighbour, not my brother, but I will definitely tell him that you have the bike in stock and let him take it from there. He'll be back on Sunday. Tempting fate here but I agree with your comment re KTM - I've had no problem with mine other than a broken chain link.

Thanks again.

Jim